340 stockers

-

perfacar

Reaction score
hi, I have my latest national dragster. they list class winners at Topeka Kansas.
E/SA, Dixon, 71 340 duster 10.83@ 119.90, Williams 72 340 duster 10.89 @119.62. interesting thing is the 72 has 1.88 int valve vs 71 2.02 valve. vanlandt D/SA, 71 duster, 10.75 @ 105 .96. on brakes. all 10 sec 340 stockers!!! gotta love it.

That's bad ***. Wish I would of went this year. I live about 60 miles from that track. Probably the last year for that track to be open. Gotta love those 340s.

3 777 F/SA Earl Blake, Las Vegas NV, '68 Barracuda 10.893 11.85 -0.957

my neighbor....no. 3 at winternationals

2 777 F/SA Earl Blake, Las Vegas NV, '68 Barracuda 10.917 11.85 -0.933
3 7019 E/SA Paul Haszlauer, Las Vegas NV, '71 Duster 10.830 11.70 -0.870

At Fontana at the end of May... hot weather

the best thing with them , is making it faster and more power with out throwing after market parts at them. in other words, aluminum heads, stroker cranks, 1050 carbs, 13 to 1 pistons, . they are allowed, to use roller rockers, after market rods, thanks Chevrolet, pistons and rods must weigh a certain amount. no cut down or knife edge cranks & the huge camshaft. and ring grooves must be a certain distance down and stock width. also stock oil pan. very restrictive. just food for thought.

A Stock Eliminator 340 has ver little to do with a stock 340... Aside from the basic castings and design. And the cams are huge - just not big on lift. Every other part is scrutinized, perfected, and brought right to the allowable limit, including stroke length and they typically trap over 8K rpm. Heads and camshafts are guarded as military secrets... And that's not even getting into the transmissions which are also very trick and nothing near a stock trans. They also run specific race fuels. So really - it's a cool class, but it's not "stock" as most might understand it. That's a $15K+ "stock" 340. A lot more if they have some camshaft development and spare parts. And they have a lot more in the drivetrain, plus the suspension and shocks. Those are seriously dedicated racers and "your results may vary"...lol.

A Stock Eliminator 340 has ver little to do with a stock 340... Aside from the basic castings and design. And the cams are huge - just not big on lift. Every other part is scrutinized, perfected, and brought right to the allowable limit, including stroke length and they typically trap over 8K rpm. Heads Your on ,Moperand camshafts are guarded as military secrets... And that's not even getting into the transmissions which are also very trick and nothing near a stock trans. They also run specific race fuels. So really - it's a cool class, but it's not "stock" as most might understand it. That's a $15K+ "stock" 340. A lot more if they have some camshaft development and spare parts. And they have a lot more in the drivetrain, plus the suspension and shocks. Those are seriously dedicated racers and "your results may vary"...lol.

Dead on,Moper. Haven't seen a S/S class car/engine setup ,since '86. It is an absolutely beautiful & expensive art,to get competitive...

hi, sounds like you're a stock eliminator expert?? you run stock?? just wondering?

On the F/SA Barracuda....he has 3 engines that they cycle thru....all are difference in some ways...camshaft.,,.ring packages...One of them is an R block.... rod and piston has to weight a specific weight....but most of the rod weight is in the big end.....intake ports are cut to match required volume then thicker intake gaskets are used to increase the volume....bunch of tricks..T &D rockers now...beehive springs...race pak computers....

His 904 has a 2.66 1st gear...the 71 Duster has a 2.89 1st gear I believe or even steeper...

they are professionally build racing engine using "stock" parts...LOL...expensive...especially if you want to be fast in your class...

the cams must be stock lift...but the duration and lobe design is modified.
rear gears maybe 488 etc.
but they are perfecting most of the stock pieces....

cam lift is .480...duration???? square nose cams...LOL

gearing on the barracuda is either 4.88 or 5.13 depending on the track ....that 71 Duster runs 4.88 since he uses such a low gear

A Stock Eliminator 340 has ver little to do with a stock 340... Aside from the basic castings and design. And the cams are huge - just not big on lift. Every other part is scrutinized, perfected, and brought right to the allowable limit, including stroke length and they typically trap over 8K rpm. Heads and camshafts are guarded as military secrets... And that's not even getting into the transmissions which are also very trick and nothing near a stock trans. They also run specific race fuels. So really - it's a cool class, but it's not "stock" as most might understand it. That's a $15K+ "stock" 340. A lot more if they have some camshaft development and spare parts. And they have a lot more in the drivetrain, plus the suspension and shocks. Those are seriously dedicated racers and "your results may vary"...lol.

i agree 100%
this is as serious as it gets for 'stock appearing' cars

When building my car, I talked to a few stock racers.... There isnt a thing stock about them. Just like any raceclass, whoever pushes the rules farthest without getting caught is usually the fastest. Lol. I do like how there is "a guy" for every little thing.

There isn't a thing stock about them. Well let's see. Mine has a stock cast 340 crank, stock approved replacement pistons, stock 69 block ,stock x heads' with stock size valves, stock cast iron 69 intake with a stock 4611 carter avs. The trans is a 904. The rear end is a stock width 8 3/4. The interior has the stock dash, stock seats, stock steering column and wheel. All the windows are glass and body is all metal. The battery is in the stock location and the radiator is a stock 69 slant six one. All the lights work even the turn signals. It has to weigh 3305 lbs in f/sa. The suspension uses stock torsion bars and leaf springs mounted in the stock locations. Stock eliminator racing isn't any more expensive than any other National event class. There are plenty of Super Street cars with more money in them then a lot of the stock eliminator cars. Mark

There isn't a thing stock about them. Well let's see. Mine has a stock cast 340 crank, stock approved replacement pistons, stock 69 block ,stock x heads' with stock size valves, stock cast iron 69 intake with a stock 4611 carter avs. The trans is a 904. The rear end is a stock width 8 3/4. The interior has the stock dash, stock seats, stock steering column and wheel. All the windows are glass and body is all metal. The battery is in the stock location and the radiator is a stock 69 slant six one. All the lights work even the turn signals. It has to weigh 3305 lbs in f/sa. The suspension uses stock torsion bars and leaf springs mounted in the stock locations. Stock eliminator racing isn't any more expensive than any other National event class. There are plenty of Super Street cars with more money in them then a lot of the stock eliminator cars. Mark
hi thank you. it can be as expensive as you want it to be. some of us, build our cars and engines. they are stockers. I know some those street strokers cost more than my engines. it takes thinking outside the box to run stockers.

Yet it sure is funny how people argue you down about how "useless" 1.88 valves are.

I'm running a 340 but forged crank, ported x heads 1.6 harland roller rockers etc etc etc in a steel car with stock leafs (Lakewood slappers added though) and you guys are way way leading the game as to stock class
I'm actually in ore of the way you get to be at those numbers

But as someone's said...it's either money...or you know a guy :)
Iv got neither lol

hi, I have neither the money or a "guy", we do our own engines , suspensions, etc. Its called education!!! takes lots of smarts to do this. its not for parts changers or faint hearted. to each their own. by the way, I've seen going to larger valves , ports loose velocity. this has held true on mopar and chev heads. velocity is what fills the cylinders. that statement was from MR. betts of super flow. just something to consider.

I totally agree with this.. We are running a 1972 barracuda H/SA car and we don't have a fortune in it at all.. Just a fun car to mess around with.. Our supergas car on the other hand we have tons of money in about 4 times or so what we have In the stocker..

Lol. Now don't take this the wrong way, I love stock eliminator, I respect how fast the cars are and all the thought that goes into them, a few of my friends are in the classes and are extremely competive. I mimmicked alot of my car after them.
However, other than the pistons and crank, I can say the exact same thing about my car, and even add stock exhaust manifolds, air cleaner, and tires. My car goes 10.7's @ 125 +.

Lol. Now don't take this the wrong way, I love stock eliminator, I respect how fast the cars are and all the thought that goes into them, a few of my friends are in the classes and are extremely competive. I mimmicked alot of my car after them. However, other than the pistons and crank, I can say the exact same thing about my car, and even add stock exhaust manifolds, air cleaner, and tires. My car goes 10.7's @ 125 +.

Ok..? Pistons and crank is a lot .... Lol is it a stroker?

Sure is. A stroker using a factory air cleaner, carb, intake, heads, block, exhaust manifolds, all accesories, 2.5" exhast system, on the factory polyglass tires.

Sure is. A stroker using a factory air cleaner, carb, intake, heads, block, exhaust manifolds, all accesories, 2.5" exhast system, on the factory polyglass tires.

Yea.. So what's your point? NHRA Stock eliminator doesn't allow strokers and there going just as fast

Lol. My point was there is nothing stock about stock eliminator. Thats all.

-
Back