340 with edelbrock heads overheating

-
When you start advancing the idle-timing, don't be surprised if she likes over 40 degrees.
What will happen, as you begin adding timing, is that the idle rpm will go up. So then you will want to back off the speed screw, but doing so will reduce the fuel coming from the Transfer slots, making her idle lean. So then you will crank OUT the Idle mixture screws to get the missing fuel.
So now it idles.
But if you keep going this way, eventually, you will run into two things;
1) you will get a tip-in sag, which is a momentary hesitation, caused by the transfers being too lean. and
2) the extra Idle timing will show up as too much idle power, and if the stall speed is close to stock, then it will bang the trans ever harder on the N/P to in-gear shift.
So when you see these things happening realize what is going on, and back up the timing.
Now, I gotta tell ya, by trying to solve an overheating issue with idle-timing and mixture screws, you are, IMO, trying to bandaid a bad situation. I can tell you that I have had three different cams in my Eddie-headed 11/1, 367, and they all ran just fine right down to 5* of Idle-advance. The biggest cam was the 292/292/108 Mopar. This cam was tried, Installed from 4* retarded to 8* advanced, and she was still good down to 5*ignition advance. The next cam was a 270/276/110 (My Favorite), in straight up, and the current cam is a 276/286/110 in at 4* advanced.
I run a Commando 4-speed with 3.55s and the only way to drive it, at under 4mph, is to idle it down to 550/500, and the only way to do this and have her still pulling herself is to reduce the timing to 5* or less.
She will idle all-day on that, without any sign of overheating.
Therefore,
IMO,
it is foolishness to attempt to solve this overheat problem using ignition timing, and/or Idle AFR,
Especially in light of the statement, that the engine was fine with the iron heads, that just came off it.
IDK what your engine's problem is gonna turn out to be,
but if I was a betting man, as it stands, with no other changes from the iron heads,
Timing and idle-AFR are NOT gonna solve it. Band-aid it maybe, but not very good ones.
Did you IR gun check your rad yet , looking for a 30*F temp drop from top to bottom? This is the only way to check the efficiency of your system at Idle.
Also, if you're gonna start fooling with the timing, you better start with knowing exactly where TDC *1 cylinder is.

When I have a Hard-to-solve problem like this; I do this;
I dump whatever is in the cooling system out, and install straight water.
I remove the thermostat, and install a restrictor washer in it's place.
I install a big direct-drive fan, with 7 fixed, all-steel blades.
I reach over to the distributor, and without regard to any specific timing number, I start cranking timing in, a few degrees atta time, until additional timing, produces no additional rpm, then I retard the timing just a tad.
If the rpm climbs over 1000, then I back up the speed screw down to 800, and readjust the mixture screws as may be necessary.
I leave the hood open.
I step back and wait.
At regular intervals, I check the water temp by IR Gun, top to bottom, looking for ~30*F difference.
You cannot get a more ideal situation than this.
If the engine still overheats;
she has either a water circulation issue, or a mechanical issue.
AS for circulation:
I cool the rad by spraying a heavy mist onto the fins, back to an acceptable temp. At this time the direct-drive fan should be pumping that water-laden air out the back of it, and all over your engine. Obviously, if the air is going the other way, something is dead-wrong.
So once the temp is back down, and well below the boiling point of straight water, the next thing I want to know is; is the water circulating?
I shut off the engine. I remove the top hose off the rad and shove a pipe in it, to redirect the water to "down". I cap the spigot and open the cap. I install my shop water hose into the water neck, turn it on, then start her up. Water should almost immediately begin to gush out of the top-hose. The lower hose should NOT be sucked flat. The shop hose should be just barely keeping up at wide open. The coolant temperature should be falling. Depending on the size of the restrictor I installed, the temp could fall to below 160. This is how it should work.
If it does not work like this, Now I gotta figure out, the why of it.
And the First thing Ima gonna check is how fast the water runs thru the rad. And the Second thing I'm gonna look at, is the Bottom hose, making sure that there is no shoprag in it!, and none in the WP inlet either....
Next is to make sure the WP is turning in the correct rotation
If all of this, by some miracle turns out to be fine, then there are just about two things left, those brand new heads are not circulating properly; or that engine is generating a chitload of friction, which in your case we can likely rule out, because it ran fine with iron heads.
AS for a mechanical issue;
I just gotta ask; is hot air coming out of BOTH tailpipes..... and
If you are running Log manifolds, is there a chance that something got into the exhaust system during the head-swap, and plugged the mufflers?
The reason I ask is because, with log-manifolds, and a restricted exhaust system, the exhaust from one cylinder can easily be re-routed into a nearby cylinder, that is on it's overlap cycle, and may even travel up into the intake manifold. This can happen 4 times per revolution, 3200 times per minute at 800rpm......... Now imagine your engine sucking that hot air down, that only a few inches away and less than two seconds ago, was at 350>450 *F.

Last edited:
ok, water pump replaced. played with timing. nothing worked it just gets hot no matter what i do . does not react to anything. Looks like i will be pulling the heads.

ok, water pump replaced. played with timing. nothing worked it just gets hot no matter what i do . does not react to anything. Looks like i will be pulling the heads.
Have you verified that the temp gauge is reading correctly?

Have you verified that the temp gauge is reading correctly?
yeah, i have an ir tool, it actually its getting hot for sure 240 plus going into the thermostat 200 going in . this is after its gotten to damn hot. the radiator has about a 40 degree temp drop. so off with the heads. cant be anything else at this point

yeah, i have an ir tool, it actually its getting hot for sure 240 plus going into the thermostat 200 going in . this is after its gotten to damn hot. the radiator has about a 40 degree temp drop. so off with the heads. cant be anything else at this point
You've tested the thermostat?

You've tested the thermostat?
yes by replacing it, i also drilled a 1/8 hole in it to let the air escape. All was working prior to the head swap. something not must have gotten jacked up with the head install. it runs strong no smoke exhaust out of both tail pipes. good vacuum at idle. The one thing that does not make a difference is the idle mixture screws . so i may have a vacuum leak i have not found yet, but right now all signs point to the heads

That carb should start with 2 1/2 turns out from completely closed ie bottomed out in the bore. Warning though the 800 AVS is very thin in that area so don't tighten the idle mixture screws too much as they can can punch through. If the idle mixture screws do not work you have a problem

What exactly did you DO with the timing?

What exactly did you DO with the timing?
i brought the initial up to 20 degrees . the mechanical was about 35 as that is how i had it set up with the fobo plate.

made no difference . Is it possible the cam moved on me somewhow when i was doing the heads?

That carb should start with 2 1/2 turns out from completely closed ie bottomed out in the bore. Warning though the 800 AVS is very thin in that area so don't tighten the idle mixture screws too much as they can can punch through. If the idle mixture screws do not work you have a problem
i must have another vacuum leak somewhere. that would explain why the idle mixture screws do nothing,

Looking like the Head Gaskets are put on upside down. (maybe only go one way, the way they are pinned?)

Screenshot_20230609-073839_Firefox.jpg

Block off tab above the guy's thumb, open upper port at rear.

Think this goes 180° for the other bank for cross coolant flow.

A few examples to help think through it.

Screenshot_20230609-061603_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230609-061115_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230609-062906_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
Looking like the Head Gaskets are put on upside down. (maybe only go one way, the way they are pinned?)

View attachment 1716100268

Block off tab above the guy's thumb, open upper port at rear.

Think this goes 180° for the other bank for cross coolant flow.

A few examples to help think through it.

View attachment 1716100238

View attachment 1716100239

View attachment 1716100272

☆☆☆☆☆
Don't the blocks have locating pins to make it impossible to install the gasket wrong?

i brought the initial up to 20 degrees . the mechanical was about 35 as that is how i had it set up with the fobo plate.

made no difference . Is it possible the cam moved on me somewhow when i was doing the heads?
I don't know. I wouldn't think so. Did you degree it?

Head gaskets can only install one way, since the locating dowels are at opposing corners.

You need to make sure the cooling system is working correctly, before you start tearing into it or you may never find the problem. Get yourself an IR temp gun and shoot the thermostat area. Shoot the upper hose going into the radiator and the lower hose coming out. You need to see a big temperature drop at the bottom hose compared to the top. If not, then it's possible the aluminum heads are shedding too much heat for the radiator to handle. But you won't know that without diagnosis and no matter how many times you snatch it apart and put it back together, you'll never find it IF that's what it is, UNLESS you actually DIAGNOSE something. You can slap all the parts at it in the world and you may never fix it. The timing was a suggestion since it is both EASY and FREE to try. Get the IR gun and get some temp measurements. You should already have one anyway. Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend.

Hopefully the after market aluminum heads will accept the locating pins?

☆☆☆☆☆
I sure would like to think the aftermarket wouldn't make THAT mistake. You never know. I've seen worse. LOL

You need to make sure the cooling system is working correctly, before you start tearing into it or you may never find the problem. Get yourself an IR temp gun and shoot the thermostat area. Shoot the upper hose going into the radiator and the lower hose coming out. You need to see a big temperature drop at the bottom hose compared to the top. If not, then it's possible the aluminum heads are shedding too much heat for the radiator to handle. But you won't know that without diagnosis and no matter how many times you snatch it apart and put it back together, you'll never find it IF that's what it is, UNLESS you actually DIAGNOSE something. You can slap all the parts at it in the world and you may never fix it. The timing was a suggestion since it is both EASY and FREE to try. Get the IR gun and get some temp measurements. You should already have one anyway. Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend.

i already used the ir gun, multiple times. it confirmed engine is getting hot, got 240 at the intake manifold 178 or so on the lower hose. radiator is doing its job. something else is causing the heat.

-
Back