350 hp out of a fairly stock 340

-
Overall it don't matter how much hp the 340 made just how well they worked, if it really only made 275 hp that's good obviously don't take much getting these cars going. I feel it probably made low 300 hp though.
I tend to agree, BUT you really touched on it that it doesn't take much for these little cars to GO, especially the early As. I'm continually impressed with Vixen's slant 6. I know it's not a V8 and never will be, but its torque curve is way different. That makes it very impressive. Even Kitty says all the time "this thing shouldn't be this fast", and she's right. It's just a good combination all the way around. It's a barrel of monkeys to drive.

Overall it don't matter how much hp the 340 made just how well they worked, if it really only made 275 hp that's good obviously don't take much getting these cars going. I feel it probably made low 300 hp though.
The last 340 was kicked out when I was 2 years old so I can't say much about it they said they are a legendary badass brutal motor that spins up real fast for a damn small block although what I've read what I've heard, from old school Gearheads, half of it may just depend on how the motor was assembled and how it was broken in! I know one guy that bought within his family two identical cars he drove both of them the one his sister dog the hell out of and the one his mama grandma his sister's car definitely hauled *** more and it was the exact same thing, for posterity, Rick was ab actual mechanic * he owned his own shop for 13 years.

I tend to agree, BUT you really touched on it that it doesn't take much for these little cars to GO, especially the early As. I'm continually impressed with Vixen's slant 6. I know it's not a V8 and never will be, but its torque curve is way different. That makes it very impressive. Even Kitty says all the time "this thing shouldn't be this fast", and she's right. It's just a good combination all the way around. It's a barrel of monkeys to drive.
Shoot brother you know I'd pay for the gas for a ride! Did you end up using that rare Factory head on that car did you shelf that thing?

50th anniversary of Bike Week I rolled my buddies Duster (cuz he was drunk) slant 6 3 speed thing had ladder bars on the back man! Not them slapper (traction bars),actual ladder bar suspension! Tri-Y and Offy intake with a 600 on it, sum kinda Cam, lol. Guy's name was Anthony his dad had a super bad *** charger we were all in our late teens, early twenties. That little car raised hell, Man! I had a blast driving that thing, in fact, by the time I got outside of Daytona, either him ( or my drummer, RIP Robert Arnold Jr) Took the Wheel back over, cuz I was having too much fun for Daytona! Lol

If anyone thinks those true 1.5 or 1.6 roller rocker won't make a difference. Most stock non adjustable rockers are usually in the 1.42-1.43 actual range. Add in loss from the bad 59* angles... not exactly doing much to help.

Every little bit helps, especially when filling the cylinder.

Put a solid cam in a 340 with the duration of some of those chevy cams and they run just a little bit better. What was the 30/30 cam something like 230-235 @ .050 and 485 lift? I'd think that would wake up a SB mopar pretty well.

The first time I heard him pronounce Elderbrock, i thought he must have been out picking Elderberries, or maybe had to much Elderberry wine- :lol:
In the words of Monty Python:

Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elderberries!!

:wtf: is up with Elderbrock @ 25:11?
He pronounces it that way too.:rolleyes:
I saw that. His Tech guy had a little fun it seems. Once a guy pronounces it wrong it can't be corrected. I have a couple friends that way.

I saw that. His Tech guy had a little fun it seems. Once a guy pronounces it wrong it can't be corrected. I have a couple friends that way.
When that popped up on the screen I stopped the video, and said WHAT? I`ve been saying it wrong all these years! ? I googled it spelled that way and nothing. Next I thought, these guys are buying chinese knockoffs? Then I came to the conclusion that his camera man was teasing him. Nick probably doesn`t watch his videos, but he does read and comment in the comment section.

I like ol Nick, but thank God for the fast forward slider LOL
I think Mr perfect speaker is his brother in law.

When that popped up on the screen I stopped the video, and said WHAT? I`ve been saying it wrong all these years! ? I googled it spelled that way and nothing. Next I thought, these guys are buying chinese knockoffs? Then I came to the conclusion that his camera man was teasing him. Nick probably doesn`t watch his videos, but he does read and comment in the comment section.

I like ol Nick, but thank God for the fast forward slider LOL
I think Mr perfect speaker is his brother in law.
:lol: :lol:I did that too. It just flashed for a second but it didn't look right. Fun stuff. Ya, Nick sounds like a nice guy.

I like how when all these guys do a 340 article and subsequent dyno pulls, they can never, never, EVER leave well enough alone and then say "it's stock". Just once, ALL I wanna see is one that's actually blueprinted to CHRYSLER'S spec and none other. Like get the deck heights right, the chambers the right size, you know, get the compression blueprinted and then just leave the rest ALONE.
Nick did a hemi that way. Right down to points ignition. It was stock except for the overbore.

I actually like Nick and his channel. Yeah it's drawn out but they're openly trying to make a show of it. They show the real stuff that guys deal with when tuning. And they also illustrate that bumping the timing and changing jets, while that works and is important, is not going to turn a turd into a fire breather. And I tend to think the numbers from his Dyno are real, not inflated.

What's wrong with these people-Have to put a damn Edelbrock on where a Thermoquad belongs.. I guess Ole Nick doesn't know everything, he said the TQ that he had was an 800 from a mid 70's 400-wrong. It's an aftermarket 800 with an electric choke, on top all 400's had the 850, as far as I know.
Edelbrock buys adds on car shows. Carter doesnt.

What's wrong with these people-Have to put a damn Edelbrock on where a Thermoquad belongs.. I guess Ole Nick doesn't know everything, he said the TQ that he had was an 800 from a mid 70's 400-wrong. It's an aftermarket 800 with an electric choke, on top all 400's had the 850, as far as I know.
Waaaa waaaaaa waaaa

What's wrong with you? When's the last time you took a video of a nice 340 on your dyno? He was just trying out a carb swap and you get your panties in a wad. Nick has a lot of very interesting Mopar builds going on, and he tends to keep them pretty stock.

Id like to see you say some crap like that to his face. Could you imagine the scene?

" DUDE, NICK!! WTF are you doing?!?!? Changing the thermoquad? Can't you even tell what SIZE thermoquad you have? Damn Nick you're a retard!"

I actually like Nick and his channel. Yeah it's drawn out but they're openly trying to make a show of it.
Nick himself seems likable enough and fairly trustworthy. My issue with the video length has to do with easily-skipped or time-lapsed stuff. He should take editing notes while watching This Old Tony. I don't want or need to watch a cam breaking in. It's not a how-to on swapping a carb or adjusting timing, yet we're dragged through multiple instances of the same procedures in real time. Simply put:

(Just for you, @lemondana , @pauly , and @Ironracer )

They show the real stuff that guys deal with when tuning. And they also illustrate that bumping the timing and changing jets, while that works and is important, is not going to turn a turd into a fire breather.
One thing I did like about this video was his unintentional dispelling of a long-held belief: "The best igntion timing is just shy of spark knock." The only time that's true is in a knock-limited engine. He took this particular 340 to 38° without detonation, but also saw no gain and moved it back to 36°. Smart move. Real-world, I'd probably back it down further to 34° just to have a margin for error (exceptionally hot weather, bad tank of fuel, etc.). I don't know about you, but my street cars don't get run on fuel straight out of the VP110 drum.

I tend to think the numbers from his Dyno are real, not inflated.
That's really a matter of the correction factor he uses. That's how we get "happy" dynos, like those used in every car magazine article ever published since the dawn of computers. Nobody publishes the factors they used, but if you "correct" an engine to 40°F and 250' below sea level, you can generate some startling numbers from mild combinations. Startling numbers sell parts, and selling parts (advertiser dollars) is the only reason magazines exist.
Suffice to say, nobody publishes the dyno numbers using the room conditions in which the engine was tested. Some extent of correction is understandable since dyno cells can get hot, but publish the factors used. Can we duplicate them in-car where we live? Probably not.

A stone stock 340 can make 350HP all day long with the right person behind the dyno.
that dyno is pretty well calibrated , not a happy dyno , he is building what the customer wants nothing more nothing less . he states where the timing is and type of gas he uses 94 octane petro Kanada , the machining and heads are prepped better than factory he did not use a big cam , close to stock . You guys can do better you start up a you boob channel . People must like it as they are always sending in money and other **** . It is what it is don´t like it don´t watch

340 never was much in an E or B-body, kind of a slug. lol
Well, my 71 RR was a fine running car. You probably never even owned one. ps we have had this conversation before. 350/340 all day long! 340's $ Hemi's FOREVER.

Well, my 71 RR was a fine running car. You probably never even owned one. ps we have had this conversation before. 350/340 all day long! 340's $ Hemi's FOREVER.
Yes, yes we have had that conversation. :D

And by the way the thermo quaker was sent in by a rebuild guy that told Nick what it was , Nick has forgotten more than youĺl ever know , so he makes a mistake once in a while , guess you don´t . I have kown Nick for 40 years back from the street racing days , stand up huy has built many engines for me none has ever had a problem , that and any little **** goes wrong he comes out in person to fix it no charge .

The 340 is a great engine there's no denying that. It's always been best suited for the A body. There's no denying that either.

No, I like Nick's videos, I watch them all. But the 340 should of had a Thermoquad on to start with-72 340's had TQ's.
Waaaa waaaaaa waaaa

What's wrong with you? When's the last time you took a video of a nice 340 on your dyno? He was just trying out a carb swap and you get your panties in a wad. Nick has a lot of very interesting Mopar builds going on, and he tends to keep them pretty stock.

Id like to see you say some crap like that to his face. Could you imagine the scene?

" DUDE, NICK!! WTF are you doing?!?!? Changing the thermoquad? Can't you even tell what SIZE thermoquad you have? Damn Nick you're a retard!"

The 340 is a great engine there's no denying that. It's always been best suited for the A body. There's no denying that either.
Totally agree when I built my 340 I put it in a 66 satellite lot of car for that itty bitty mill, she still got down, but not like the Duster same exact drivetrain!

No, I like Nick's videos, I watch them all. But the 340 should of had a Thermoquad on to start with-72 340's had TQ's.
Yes that was a bad ball drop by ma mopar those carbs blow left 20 hp on the table
at the very least they should have came with the 750 carb on the 440
the 71 setup kicks *** if that was available on the 68 69 darts and cuda more muscle cars would have been crying in capable hands

That was done for insurance purposes and because if the buying public knew how close it was to the 383s, there wouldn't have been as much market for a 383.
Flame on!
There was one more reason VERY close to your 383 comment. 1968 was the first year for the 340 AND the Road Runner. They did not want people to know that you would get a 335 HP V8 in a road Runner, and that it was ONLY 15 HP more than the 340. Plus, an A Body with a 340 can beat a 383 Road Runner every time.

-
Back