350 hp out of a fairly stock 340

-
What's wrong with these people-Have to put a damn Edelbrock on where a Thermoquad belongs.. I guess Ole Nick doesn't know everything, he said the TQ that he had was an 800 from a mid 70's 400-wrong. It's an aftermarket 800 with an electric choke, on top all 400's had the 850, as far as I know.

Hot rod got 320 HP out of a dead stock 340, and 352 HP replacing the manifolds with headers.

"On factory claims of 275 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 340 lb-ft (3,200 rpm), we got 320 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 368 lb-ft at 3,500 rpm. So it's clear Mopar understated the facts by 45 horsepower and 28 lb-ft. Then we replaced the manifolds with a set of headers and got 352.1 horsepower and 395.9 lb-ft (at 3,200 rpm)—77.1 horsepower and 55.9 lb-ft higher than published peak claims."

How Bad Did Mopar’s 340 beat Ford & Chevy? Shocking New Data!​

Hot rod got 320 HP out of a dead stock 340, and 352 HP replacing the manifolds with headers.

"On factory claims of 275 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 340 lb-ft (3,200 rpm), we got 320 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 368 lb-ft at 3,500 rpm. So it's clear Mopar understated the facts by 45 horsepower and 28 lb-ft. Then we replaced the manifolds with a set of headers and got 352.1 horsepower and 395.9 lb-ft (at 3,200 rpm)—77.1 horsepower and 55.9 lb-ft higher than published peak claims."

[/URL][/URL]
Chev's 302/327/350 all dyno about 350-355 hp with headers, but with a fairly aggressive factory cam, wonder what the 340 would make with similar cam.

here's almost stock 340 6bbl vs ford and chev

Last edited:

[/URL]
That was done for insurance purposes and because if the buying public knew how close it was to the 383s, there wouldn't have been as much market for a 383.
Flame on!

[/URL]
It wasn't "dead stock". They used machining operations that the factory never did (honed with a torque plate bolted on,etc), it had a bowl hog ran through the heads and it had roller rockers installed. Essentially , it was blueprinted. Attention to detail and precision machining makes a difference. The factory just kinda threw them together.

What's wrong with these people-Have to put a damn Edelbrock on where a Thermoquad belongs.. I guess Ole Nick doesn't know everything, he said the TQ that he had was an 800 from a mid 70's 400-wrong. It's an aftermarket 800 with an electric choke, on top all 400's had the 850, as far as I know.
You are correct.

Wish they had jetted the TQ to give 13:1 AFR so we could see a direct comparison between the carbs. The TQ should have lower manifold absolute pressure and therefore slightly better air flow. But we won't know unless someone else does the comparison.

The first time I heard him pronounce Elderbrock, i thought he must have been out picking Elderberries, or maybe had to much Elderberry wine- :lol:

That had to be his camera man`s way of a subtle jab at the way he pronounces it. Commenters have been getting on him the way he says Dana, rear ends, he says Dan-ah. Must be the frenchie in him, lol

His camera man/narrator, is a little annoying with his perfect pronouncing of every word...perfect :rolleyes:

So 350/340 equals 1.029 HP per Cube. So a 318 if built the same way should a make 327 Hp........

A stone stock 340 can make 350HP all day long with the right person behind the dyno.

That was done for insurance purposes and because if the buying public knew how close it was to the 383s, there wouldn't have been as much market for a 383.
Flame on!
340 never was much in an E or B-body, kind of a slug. lol

Wow... that was agonizing. That video should've been 30 minutes shorter, and the narrator's hyper-enunciation is irritating. That was the first of his videos I've seen.
*Marks YouTube's "Do not recommend this channel" icon*

"We got 100HP more out of a 340 than the factory. All we did was upsize the valves, add 1.7 points of compression, and install a hotter cam. Please ignore the fact that the original number was through the full OE 2-inch exhaust system and mufflers while running all the accessories, while ours was gross HP with open pipes and not even running a water pump."

"On factory claims of 275 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 340 lb-ft (3,200 rpm), we got 320 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 368 lb-ft at 3,500 rpm. So it's clear Mopar understated the facts by 45 horsepower and 28 lb-ft."
One of those Peterson rags did a stock 340 rebuild back in the 1980s or maybe very early '90s. They got similar results with a 3-angle valve job on stock ports and using factory rockers (same-ratio rollers don't add HP anyhow). The only real difference was boring it +.030", and they got 318 horsepower.

What's wrong with these people-Have to put a damn Edelbrock on where a Thermoquad belongs..
I wonder the same thing all the time, although in the case of content creators it's usually due to "promotional consideration" (free or deeply-discounted product).
Because of that consideration, it's imperative that the OE carb lose to the freebie: "We'll use a Lean Burn carb!" The one in the video was definitely not a Competition Series, which has a dramatically different airhorn casting. It was stock emissions-era stuff, possibly from a Ford or 13-Letter Sh!tspreader (International Harvester) application, or a later 9000-series "stock replacement" carb. The forward-facing machined pad on the airhorn casting's a dead giveaway.

Wow... that was agonizing. That video should've been 30 minutes shorter, and the narrator's hyper-enunciation is irritating. That was the first of his videos I've seen.
*Marks YouTube's "Do not recommend this channel" icon*
i skip through his videos
"We got 100HP more out of a 340 than the factory. All we did was upsize the valves, add 1.7 points of compression, and install a hotter cam. Please ignore the fact that the original number was through the full OE 2-inch exhaust system and mufflers while running all the accessories, while ours was gross HP with open pipes and not even running a water pump."
in my mind i was comparing it more to the 71 similar cr and 2.02 with more cam, didn't catch which cam their using.

[/URL]
Does that mean the 273 non Commando made More that 180HP?

these videos are such a slog. they're all 30 or more minutes too long and besides leaving out all the critical information (parts, cams specs, compression ratios, etc) they straight skim over so many important parts. what's the timing? what's it at now? what fuel is it running?

it's cool watching these old pieces goin' full chooch on the machine and all, but it's as if they leave so much on the table.

I like how when all these guys do a 340 article and subsequent dyno pulls, they can never, never, EVER leave well enough alone and then say "it's stock". Just once, ALL I wanna see is one that's actually blueprinted to CHRYSLER'S spec and none other. Like get the deck heights right, the chambers the right size, you know, get the compression blueprinted and then just leave the rest ALONE.

I like how when all these guys do a 340 article and subsequent dyno pulls, they can never, never, EVER leave well enough alone and then say "it's stock". Just once, ALL I wanna see is one that's actually blueprinted to CHRYSLER'S spec and none other. Like get the deck heights right, the chambers the right size, you know, get the compression blueprinted and then just leave the rest ALONE.
Agreed! THEN, I wanna see, 1 change at a time, pull after pull, with 2nd change then pull, 3rd, etc. Dig?
Like change #1, headers, pull, #2 Strip Dom, pull, #3 MP Cam pull, and so on....including worked X and J heads pulls, a carb pull, and curved distributor pulls. Is that to much to ask? I imagine if I had the time (and all the stuff laying around) and a Dyno, Id really like to do it but I don't.

Last edited:
Well, I'll make the time. Now you guys ship me a dyno (and 340 parts and stuff like that) over this way. I'll supply all the electricity and 93 octane needed..
340 parts refundable, shipping for the Dyno ain't! Oh, and someone will have to pop in to show me how to use the thing, not to mention tuning in
@RatBastid ? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Above post was sent in Good Humor, but boy I'd love to be able to be a part of something like that! As I imagine about 97% of everyone on this board! So it ain't that humorous let's get it done! Lol, this test can take months so I'm going to need a giant metal building somewhere in FL! Actually it's possible we can invade Chris Macarons from Acme! Although he's got so many cars on the plate right now it's insane

Overall it don't matter how much hp the 340 made just how well they worked, if it really only made 275 hp that's good obviously don't take much getting these cars going. I feel it probably made low 300 hp though.

-
Back