360 head choices. What's everyone running?

-
Seems like there was talk from a couple of guys about some “non-standard”(AKA oddball)guide bore sizing on the recent SM type magnum replacement heads.

I freshened a very low mile set of the original style EQ heads a couple of years ago.
The finish and sizing of the guide bores I would rate as “poor”.
I ended up putting bronze liners in them.

My suspicion is that the same thing would probably be a smart move with the SM version.

Probably cuz people will buy them La heads, just like they buy Magnums.
What the confusion is with that I'm not sure

Personally if I was going to take one out of the box and throw it on I would go with a ProMaxx Head. After having many Edelbrock heads in my hands, my Speedmaster heads, and a Friends ProMaxx Head The ProMaxx looked and flowed the best. The valve job done on the ProMaxx Heads was much nicer.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I've been watching porting videos on youtube. I saw one the other day done by an employee of Edelbrock - was a bit over an hour long I think - anyway he was saying that when you buy their heads that they more or less have to have a porting job on them before you even use them. This really surprised me as I figured to spend that much on them and then before using them, you're supposed to port them too. As you can tell, I'm new to this but I've been reading a lot of articles on "bolt-on" improvements. None of these articles have mentioned doing the port job before using them. So when I saw the post regarding ProMaxx and flowing the best I was wondering if that is out of the box or after getting a port job first? (although I see where it was mentioned to throwing them on straight out of the box) thanks

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I've been watching porting videos on youtube. I saw one the other day done by an employee of Edelbrock - was a bit over an hour long I think - anyway he was saying that when you buy their heads that they more or less have to have a porting job on them before you even use them. This really surprised me as I figured to spend that much on them and then before using them, you're supposed to port them too. As you can tell, I'm new to this but I've been reading a lot of articles on "bolt-on" improvements. None of these articles have mentioned doing the port job before using them. So when I saw the post regarding ProMaxx and flowing the best I was wondering if that is out of the box or after getting a port job first? (although I see where it was mentioned to throwing them on straight out of the box) thanks

I am leaning real hard towards those Shocker 185 Promaxx heads. I'd love the trickflows, I just don't want to have to buy a whole set of roller rockers for the trick flows, that adds another couple of benjamins, and I ask myself is it WORTH it? I've already got my rocker shafts and ductile iron 1.5 rockers.
Do you have a link to that video? I'd love to check it out.

Last edited:
I've used ede heads with no problems in the 12 years i've used them , maybe i'm lucky . of course i don't race for money . Just have fun at the track and on the street . These days trick flow are the heads I'd buy . do you have a link to the video of the ede employee saying they need porting ? I'd like to know the context was this for racing or just street use

Last edited:
I am leaning real hard towards those Shocker 185 Promaxx heads. I'd love the trickflows, I just don't want to have to buy a whole set of roller rockers for the trick flows, that adds another couple of benjamins, and I ask myself is it WORTH it? I've already got my rocker shafts and ductile iron 1.5 rockers.

You dont need to buy new rockers for the TF heads....if you have adjustable rockers use them....I am using Crane aluminum rockers on mine.

I think you are thinking they need a valve job first and yes most of them aren’t the best. The ProMaxx valve job was nicer than most. lots of guys run Edelbrock heads out of the box with great success but then once in awhile you do find a tight valve guide that needs fixed. I personally would never run an Edelbrock head out of the box. My buddy finally has his ProMaxx heads on a running vehicle and he said it runs good but has never made it to the track yet.

I ran mine OOTB for years w/0 problems and made some good power. You do not have to port them. Your not supposed to port them as there made with the idea of ready to run OOTB as is. They should be a 500 hp head OOTB according to THERE flow numbers.

I have a set of CNC’d ProMaxx heads. They sell them in two basic versions. Stock port & CNC’d ports.
(Also, with valves and no valves for each of the above. Different spring packages available as well.)

i'm late to this party but .480 lift and stock bottom end?
Everybody is running to aluminum.Watch the adds and sooner or later you'll see a pair of rebuilt iron heads available because the owner wanted aluminum. They will be good performers with your combination and probably economical.I'm not convinced you'll gain much with aluminum on your engine.

its over an hour but I found it educational
I'll try and watch it again so as to post exactly where its at.

But I have another dumb question...is there a sticky that tells me how to figure out what head assemblies I can use out of the box? Or even how to "know" this head assembly will drop on? I've been reading the how to's on here which are all very informative, but if it's there I have missed it.

After watching some of it again, I was wrong, it was the intake manifold he was doing at the time. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:
I’m Surprised you guys are not talking about Indy Cylinder they know how to flow some air And make HP In A Mopar (You get what you pay for)

I’m Surprised you guys are not talking about Indy Cylinder they know how to flow some air And make HP In A Mopar (You get what you pay for)
Between there amazing customer service (Major Sarcasm there!) and there port work as cited by many, I am amazed there still in biz.

Between there amazing customer service (Major Sarcasm there!) and there port work as cited by many, I am amazed there still in biz.
I've heard quite a few horror stories about quality and "service" , take your chances

I've heard quite a few horror stories about quality and "service" , take your chances
To be fair, the new owners are supposed to be much better from a communication and customer service aspect. That will probably shake out over the next year. From what I understand, it would be difficult to be worse than the previous management.

To be fair, the new owners are supposed to be much better from a communication and customer service aspect. That will probably shake out over the next year. From what I understand, it would be difficult to be worse than the previous management.

We all will like the new owner

-
Back