360 head choices. What's everyone running?

-
Right on.
Do let us know though if and when he does find a funky one.
I think it was PHR who found chattered seats, see pic, so if one can get by... more will and it's just a matter of time.

I will be very involved in how they work. They are going to go on the 360 that is currently in my Dart.
Guy is a real good friend, selling him my airgap to sit on them. He has 480 lift cam, 4.10’s and a 3k vert. Figuring mid 12’s in a Scamp. Tire dependent.
Going to port a wieand excellerator to go on my Eddies and 418. Be curious to see how much the car( mine)picks up. Keeping my 260-264 Howards flat tappet and dinky Dougs headers. Hoping for 5-6 tenths. More inches, lots more squeeze, cam should work better. Hope to do the swap by the end of this month. Doing nothing to my mild eddies, just gonna swap them over.

Again if you wait till Black Friday which is about four months away you can buy them for $700 just like the person who's trying to sell them to you for a thousand. If you don't wait you can at least buy the ones for $1,172 and get a $226 intake manifold... @318willrun has a video on this forum and you could ask him to link you to it going through the Speedmaster heads. How to check them and how to lubricate them at home... You'll need no more than a harbor freight tool to take the springs off which shouldn't cost you more than $13... I had mine professionally checked for $95...
I have a spring removal tool, but more than likely I'll just have whatever heads I decide on be checked by a shop. If I could fine a good set of iron heads ready to go for around $500 I would consider those too, but like I said most around me are already beat up beyond affordable repair

I have a spring removal tool, but more than likely I'll just have whatever heads I decide on be checked by a shop. If I could fine a good set of iron heads ready to go for around $500 I would consider those too, but like I said most around me are already beat up beyond affordable repair
I got the 596 heads I took off with k line valve guides 202 valves and Crowder Springs... Mildly ported and I couldn't even think about letting them go for 500 bucks... Just couldn't replace them for that much...

I got the 596 heads I took off with k line valve guides 202 valves and Crowder Springs... Mildly ported and I couldn't even think about letting them go for 500 bucks... Just couldn't replace them for that much...
I can have the heads remand for 350.00, it's the cores that are the added cost and are harder to find within 20 miles. I gotta go inland now..or wit for the yard to have some.
Funny that there is only one shop near the OP, I'd just go somewhere else.

I'll pay shipping if you wanna send those " too expensive to reman " iron heads by flat rate....

Have you took them apart?
Yep. He said they need magnafluxed,($125)exhaust guides($10 a guide) hardened seats,($200-$250) valves($200) valve job($200)if he got to cut seats then might as well go 2.02. $700-$800 total

yep, had forgotten, but just called him, that is what they are.
He also said you get a free intake with them right now... he didn't get that deal.
Machinist took them apart and said they completely checked out

The problem with the Pro-Comp/Speedmaster stuff--(at least in the SBC/SBF heads) that I've personally seen more than once--Is the guides seem to be made out of wax. Ok a hard wax. The guides are shot in a few hundred km's . The worst part is the OD of the guide is not a common or nominal size like .502" I think they are some dumb proprietary size like .544"-.545" like Brodix. So if they are shot you have to order some GOOD guides from Brodix at about $25-$30 a guide. Have they changed the guide material since? I do not know--maybe? Hopefully. J.Rob

There still just a stock head, large valve or not. No other performance work is done.

I'm late to the party here...sorry if i missed it but for me and my situation, i have 3 sets of iron 360's off of running motors. 1 roller la, 1 la with 2.02 and 1 stock. When i picked my cam, low duration, .480 lift, i had a stock bottom end. Low compression. When I thought about aluminum heads i figured that was the way to go if i rebuilt the motor and went over 10-1. Compression and lift being the key...and sticking to pump 93 octane.

The problem with the Pro-Comp/Speedmaster stuff--(at least in the SBC/SBF heads) that I've personally seen more than once--Is the guides seem to be made out of wax. Ok a hard wax. The guides are shot in a few hundred km's . The worst part is the OD of the guide is not a common or nominal size like .502" I think they are some dumb proprietary size like .544"-.545" like Brodix. So if they are shot you have to order some GOOD guides from Brodix at about $25-$30 a guide. Have they changed the guide material since? I do not know--maybe? Hopefully. J.Rob
How long ago was this cuz this sounds like some of the same stuff I heard perpetuated before.... And because I heard this same stuff it was one of the questions I had for the machine shop that checked out my heads and they said they had no problem with them...

The guides absolutely used to be junk.

The oddball OD sizing is like .506-.507.

I repaired a set of BBM heads that came off a mud truck....... maybe 50 miles worth of use?
Roller cam combo........ some of the intake guides had .009” clearance....... but all 16 were too loose to leave as they were.

Several years ago I had some Patriot SBC heads in the shop that had a few wasted guides.
That was the first time I encountered the oddball .506 OD thing.

I ended up reinstalling the used guide with some loctite...... and put a liner in it, and the few others that were quite big.
They were pretty soft, and didn’t ream for the liner that easily.

The .545 Brodix size isn’t really that uncommon.
Edelbrock uses that size in certain heads(BBM RPM for one).

The guides absolutely used to be junk.

The oddball OD sizing is like .506-.507.

I repaired a set of BBM heads that came off a mud truck....... maybe 50 miles worth of use?
Roller cam combo........ some of the intake guides had .009” clearance....... but all 16 were too loose to leave as they were.

Several years ago I had some Patriot SBC heads in the shop that had a few wasted guides.
That was the first time I encountered the oddball .506 OD thing.

I ended up reinstalling the used guide with some loctite...... and put a liner in it, and the few others that were quite big.
They were pretty soft, and didn’t ream for the liner that easily.

The .545 Brodix size isn’t really that uncommon.
Edelbrock uses that size in certain heads(BBM RPM for one).

I replaced guides in a few sbc.sbf when they were ProComp,Soft as butter. Had to be careful getting them out or they would try to mushroom. Like PHR said those were.506 OD. The few sets of SBMs I have messed with were all .545 OD and a lot better guide.

If you need any, SI Valves sells the .545 guides for a good price.

It seems that “usually” the guides are basically the same OD as whatever American head they are copying came with.

Since the SM SBM head is a copy of the Ede head, which likely has the .545 guides..... that’s what they used in the SM copy.

That’s my theory anyway.

Yep. He said they need magnafluxed,($125)exhaust guides($10 a guide) hardened seats,($200-$250) valves($200) valve job($200)if he got to cut seats then might as well go 2.02. $700-$800 total
What am I supposed to do, talk bad because he charges over twice what I pay for a basic clean and mag? That's the shop owners decision/right to, just like it's yours to base your choice on that shops pricing alone.

All machine shops would love to charge a lot of they could, some can.. If you talk with some of them...they'll tell you how a mechanic with a $4000 dollar tool box takes $110 or so an hr...so why should a machinist with 60k in machines charge less?
That's how you end up with 125 mag tests... What I say to that ..is..go have the "machinist" diagnostic my electrical in my Mercedes then....have him rebuild my transmission...and they stfu and give a crooked smile at me. Look.. At this point it's not rocket science ,and selling the service end short just because they're toy box is smaller or less expensive is a very retarded and egotistical way to look at it.
The same motherfucker who told me that line...also is in the process of distributing his own instructional software so that any dipshit can run the machine, step by step setup and production....now do ya think that dipshit is getting paid 110...? More exploiting of both ends, customer and the operator in a big shop.
All that said...I could care less, none of my business, I go elsewhere. I'm fine with old rottler,neway,sunnen etc..

Best of luck in your ventures. I'm sure it'll all work out.

What am I supposed to do, talk bad because he charges over twice what I pay for a basic clean and mag? That's the shop owners decision/right to, just like it's yours to base your choice on that shops pricing alone.

All machine shops would love to charge a lot of they could, some can.. If you talk with some of them...they'll tell you how a mechanic with a $4000 dollar tool box takes $110 or so an hr...so why should a machinist with 60k in machines charge less?
That's how you end up with 125 mag tests... What I say to that ..is..go have the "machinist" diagnostic my electrical in my Mercedes then....have him rebuild my transmission...and they stfu and give a crooked smile at me. Look.. At this point it's not rocket science ,and selling the service end short just because they're toy box is smaller or less expensive is a very retarded and egotistical way to look at it.
The same motherfucker who told me that line...also is in the process of distributing his own instructional software so that any dipshit can run the machine, step by step setup and production....now do ya think that dipshit is getting paid 110...? More exploiting of both ends, customer and the operator in a big shop.
All that said...I could care less, none of my business, I go elsewhere. I'm fine with old rottler,neway,sunnen etc..

Best of luck in your ventures. I'm sure it'll all work out.
i wish we had a machine shop around here that did qulity work and affordable.. we have two shops that are local to me and both compete on engine masters every year.. we have a local mom and pop guy, but he even more expensive.. i might need to venture farther out.. thanks for all your advice

i wish we had a machine shop around here that did qulity work and affordable.. we have two shops that are local to me and both compete on engine masters every year.. we have a local mom and pop guy, but he even more expensive.. i might need to venture farther out.. thanks for all your advice

Quality and affordable go hand in hand. The quality you want takes TIME and time is money.

Speedmaster head thread index
Okay now completely blue in the face as they say this one more time and repeat what everybody else is saying.. the speedmasters are your best option...
I bought them on 30% off sale for $800 in September last year so what is this make me think the September one month from now likely the could be on sale again. And most waited till Black Friday which is 4 months from now and got them for 40% off for 700 to the door...
This is like you asked for the most budget-minded options...

Speedmaster head thread index
Okay now completely blue in the face as they say this one more time and repeat what everybody else is saying.. the speedmasters are your best option...
I bought them on 30% off sale for $800 in September last year so what is this make me think the September one month from now likely the could be on sale again. And most waited till Black Friday which is 4 months from now and got them for 40% off for 700 to the door...
This is like you asked for the most budget-minded options...

I undersdand and that is going to be my plan. I even found @318willrun videos on the speedmasrer heads he purchased. Just a waiting game now..

I undersdand and that is going to be my plan. I even found @318willrun videos on the speedmasrer heads he purchased. Just a waiting game now..
ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads
There is this thread that that index does not include.. well though it's probably 68 painstaking pages 1/2 The Forum poking at each other there's probably some useful information in there as well...
But it starts off with me asking questions about these as the option wasn't available or I didn't know of it when I spent all that money on my cast-iron heads...

ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads
There is this thread that that index does not include.. well though it's probably 68 painstaking pages 1/2 The Forum poking at each other there's probably some useful information in there as well...
But it starts off with me asking questions about these as the option wasn't available or I didn't know of it when I spent all that money on my cast-iron heads...
The question is do I wait for the sale or get them now with the free air gap style intake? You can never have to many intakes, but it's catch 22. Full price and intake or 30-40% off and no intake. Things to ponder.

-
Back