360 main caps ??????

-

Speedotann

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I took my block all the way out today and noticed it is missing the rear main cap and two of the middle ones. This block is a 360 and has a 1971 Casting date. I just went to Pick your Part and found a 360 with a 1977 casting date. My question is; Will the Main Caps off the 77 block fit or work on the 71 block? If so, I will run back down and take the caps of the block....

Thanks,

Brian

If they line up good, yes.
If they do I would still have it line honed unless it happens to be a perfect match, 'doubt it'

Just use the early main bearings, for the thrust has to match the block in use.

I have a std 77 block and 3 sets of 360 main caps, none come close.

I just went through this with a 340 I bought that had a non original cap. You look at the machining marks and they were not the same between the block and cap....

So the machine shop says they are off to much for an align hone. So off to the junkyard and a friend sent me one cap.
2 caps off 318 in the Pick A Part's later we found one that was .0005 off. Still aligned it. That was just the rear cap.

You could get lucky. But be prepared to go back a get a couple more sets of caps.

This is a really troubling thing to read---why people would not have the original caps?

I doubt that you can "really tell" if they line up without extensive measurements I would FIGURE on having the thing align bored---expensive

or find another block.

Seems to me it would be as cheap, and a LOT more accurate, to buy aftermarket caps and have the whole thing align bored.

This is a really troubling thing to read---why people would not have the original caps?

I doubt that you can "really tell" if they line up without extensive measurements I would FIGURE on having the thing align bored---expensive

or find another block.

Seems to me it would be as cheap, and a LOT more accurate, to buy aftermarket caps and have the whole thing align bored.

The caps, exspecially the rear, are very expensive. If you are under 500HP I don't think you need aftermarket caps. So it would be more cost effective to just get another motor with caps.

When you are buying a used block, check the machining grains to see if the block and each caps matches up. Next feel you fingernail across the bolted cap and block split line. I know those are 100% accurrate ways to measure things, but it can keep you out of trouble. Used blocks are a risk. You just need to take measures to minimize the risk. When in doubt, walk.

I went back to get the caps and those things are on TIGHT!!! Cant get enough leverage on my back w/o breaking my hands... So I just pulled the whole motor out of the truck on my own! Funny how all these guys there are looking at me like they have never seen someone pull a motor by themselves...
I go the long block for $100....

Thanks again guys!!

or find another block.

That would cost 1k to do.

and at half a thou, the line 'hone' will do just fine.

A GRAND to line bore? You're kiddin, right? I can get it done in Macon for 175

It's about 350-500 around here to fit aftermarket caps and line bore & hone. It isn't cheap here just to line hone.

You cannot just repalce a cap or caps... It will need to be re-align honed, possibly bored depending on how bad it looks. For me it's $450 for line bore and hone, a little more to fit aftermarket caps.

or find another block.

I got the block for free from a guy I bought my Duster off of. I just put in in my shed. Just took my first good look at it yesterday and noticed the caps where not all there!!

-
Back