4 door values? Am I missing something?

-
Those are some fine examples of four door cool cars. I especially like the police car and understand that build/restore. The others I like, but have to question why invest the time and money in a car that probably 90% of buyers would run from just because they have 4 doors.

I see four door cars all the time for sale at prices higher than two door cars. Then I go to pick a part and only find 4 doors. I know pick a part only pays $300 to $400 dollars for the cars and you don't see many two door a bodies there.

I think one of the big factors is that you can still find solid 4 door cars to build. All of the remaining 2 door cars are complete rust buckets that require - "everything" to be replaced. If you are looking at early A or B bodies this is no easy task since no one makes replacement sheet metal for them. That 4 door Savoy had virtually zero rust on it to start with and very, very low miles. All that money saved on body work can be used in other areas.... to make them look and run "cool".
I would be the first to admit that some models just don't look right in a 4 door version - and no doubt that the two door cars are more popular ..... but 4 doors are seeing a surge in popularity. Even in our small local car club I can think of several 4 door cars, including a 4 door 55 and a 4 door 56 Chevy.

My first car was a 1974 Plymouth Valiant, brown four door, with a 318/904, and an 8-1/4 rear. I put a new cam, intake, plug wires, and a 600 cfm carb on and that car was a beast. I sold it to a fellow member here a few years ago and he put a 408 stroker motor in with a rebuilt 904. He races it at the track regularly and the car gets alot of attention.

You might have seen the car in the young guns section of Mopar Muscle last year around this time. Even though it is a four door, they still get plenty of attention.

I admit it, I'm a 2 door snob. I just can't get excited about 4 doors. I'm not even crazy about 4 door trucks.

First off, let me say that I'm not hating on more doors. About a year or so ago, dad was considering swapping his one owner '73 Duster for a '70 Dart four door because it needed less work to make it road worthy. I tagged along to look at the Dart. The Dart had a terrible paint job and did need some detailing. It was an F3 green car with a 318.
He listed it at 90% restored...not hardly. He wanted the Duster and $2000. I really wanted to know where this guy was getting his meth or his weed from??

He stated that it was such a good deal because "four doors are worth just as much as two doors now!"

Really, so a '70 Satellite sedan is worth as much as a '70 GTX?? '70 340 Duster is worth as much as a '70 Valiant?? Really?? maybe I missed the boat here.

I have also noticed that some people are wanting stupid prices for four doors.
I have inquired about a few and was more than shocked.
If I read this right you think 4 door cars are worthless yet you want one and the owners refuse to just give it to you?They probaly want get a high price for them but then again in this economy noone is getting top dollar.There is a place for the 4 door cars as with all a bodies and it takes the right ppl to own them.I own a 4door 06 charger because its the meanest looking car made today IMO..I agree with Joe on this those comparisons were way off,it's like comparing my 06 charger(daytona edition) to an 06 neon.My car is probably still worth as much or more as the neon was new.I'm not mad or anything just answering your question.

I think there will come a time where a 4dr classic car will be more rare than its 2dr counterpart, but just because something is rare doesn't mean its highly valuable. You see far more 2 door cars at car shows and just driving around than you see 4 doors. Most people just see a 4dr as either a parts car or something to use a daily driver and nothing more. I happen to like 4 door cars just as much as 2drs and I get plenty of attention when I drive my 4 door dart, seems like everybodys aunt, grandmother or parents had the same car w/same color, slant six etc...
I do however hate 4 door pickup trucks with a passion, they might be more practical but to me they look rediculous.

If I read this right you think 4 door cars are worthless yet you want one and the owners refuse to just give it to you?They probaly want get a high price for them but then again in this economy noone is getting top dollar.There is a place for the 4 door cars as with all a bodies and it takes the right ppl to own them.I own a 4door 06 charger because its the meanest looking car made today IMO..I agree with Joe on this those comparisons were way off,it's like comparing my 06 charger(daytona edition) to an 06 neon.My car is probably still worth as much or more as the neon was new.I'm not mad or anything just answering your question.

Mopar410: this is not a bash or hate thread directed toward you. Just answering questions and stating facts...

I am very confused by your post. You misunderstood. I went with my dad to look at a car so that he didn't get jipped. What was wrong with that? I encouraged him to do the trade if the Dart four door was in better shape and it was to his liking.

What do you mean that I wanted him to give it to us??? The '73 Duster was a way nicer one owner car. We were willing to do a straight up trade. The Duster needed a few things to get it on the road but the Dart was ready to go.
It wasn't anywhere near what he described it to be; especially when we looked at it. He wanted the Duster and $2000. I was trying to keep my senior citizen dad from taking a screwing. Yes, I guess I am stupid and really wanted that guy to give us the four door Dart:wack:.
Yes, an 82000 mile Duster for a '70 Dart sedan. The Duster didn't need a whole lot but it was more than I had time to get around to. I am a full time student and don't have ample time and money like some people. Most of my projecting goes on during the summer.

The guy with the four door told us a story about the condition and tried give my dad a f**kin. Yet, when I discuss it on here, it's either "your stupid" or "your an idiot". As a matter of fact, he bought up the whole Satellite and GTX thing.
He said, "dosen't matter because it's old." So I appreciate all the flaming and all the hate when everyone doesn't know all of the story.

FWIW, I haven't kept up with the values in a long time and I am not a flipper.
I build on the cars and enjoy them. I am 29 and get flack for even messing with old cars.
I haven't verbally attacked anyone on this thread but it seems people are quick to do me that way. People can judge me all they want because tomorrow is another day and I ain't losing sleep over it. I started a friendly thread for discussion and the haters show up. Have fun..

FWIW, I got my dad a great deal on a '74 Dart and he is happy with it. Family is the most important thing and that's the bottom line. It's certainly more important than discussing how stupid somebody is...

I guess you missed my point(maybe because you are on edge).What I was trying to convey is that all cars have thier followers and in that group they see and appreciate the qualities and become biased and eventaully start thinking the car is worth more,that doesn't mean you have to pay thier price,offer what you want to pay and walk away if it doesnt work.I assume you were wanting to vent and I didn't read the emotion in the post.Relax and head over to the "off toipc" thread for some laughs.

Huuummm, so I guess I'm not cool..... but I can tell you there isn't another street car in this county that draws the attention this 4 door does at shows or on the street.... :smilebox:

SDC11198.jpg

S73042622.jpg

Oh, you're cool alright!

When it is not running it will almost pass as a sleeper - from a distance. Once she fires up, forget it.... Just an old 4 door grocery getter!

I'll admit my 2-dr, V-100, Valiant sedan is worth more than than my '85 Gran Fury AHB. But I wouldn't say my Fury isn't cool on a level or two...it's a low-mileage original that ended up @ the fire inspector's office, thus the perfect interior, never had any body damage, and original- hell, the spark plug wires are dated 2/84, it still runs like a clock, and doesn't leak. Pulled it out from around the barn (it's nice to have friends) for a quick wash today. Yes, I have the caps

Attachments

• IMG_2117[2].jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 143
I read it Joe, I know you didnt call him stupid...you said the comparisons
were. Either way as a "reader" I read it as sarcastic and insulting with your last comment. If it wasnt meant to be sarcastic and insulting my bad

I read it Joe, I know you didnt call him stupid...you said the comparisons
were. Either way as a "reader" I read it as sarcastic and insulting with your last comment. If it wasnt meant to be sarcastic and insulting my bad

nevermind...

I think there will come a time where a 4dr classic car will be more rare than its 2dr counterpart, but just because something is rare doesn't mean its highly valuable. You see far more 2 door cars at car shows and just driving around than you see 4 doors. Most people just see a 4dr as either a parts car or something to use a daily driver and nothing more. I happen to like 4 door cars just as much as 2drs and I get plenty of attention when I drive my 4 door dart, seems like everybodys aunt, grandmother or parents had the same car w/same color, slant six etc...
I do however hate 4 door pickup trucks with a passion, they might be more practical but to me they look rediculous.

I really chuckle when I see the Maxi-Pad cab 4x4's all jacked up with gynormous wheels, multiple shocks (with reservoirs now!), the 12" drop hitch, and the 6" exhaust...Hell, at that point why not just slap a Winnebago Chieftain (circa '74) body on an old duece and a half? It's about the same level of size, ridiculousness, and utility at that point. But that is just my opinion- and I like sedans and wagons, so to each their own!:glasses7:

Ok, when talking about A-body 2-Door cars, we need to be more specific. Is it a Hardtop, Sedan (post), or coupe?

Obviously, the hardtop is the most desirable 2-Door model because of the sleek roof lines. Hence, the price and demand.

A Sedan (post) is cool, but to me, it really just looks like a 4-Door trying to be a 2-Door hardtop. If given the choice between two equally cool looking cars, one being a 2-Door post and the other a 4-Door; I would take the latter.

Coupe's are fine, it's like 99 percent a hardtop, so the price difference wouldn't be that drastic. I really liked the vent windows on my Duster.

Now, in the 1950s, 2-Door post cars looked awesome. I'm a big fan of the '57 Ford post cars (basically a '57 Ford Custom 300).

MoparDart68- if something strikes me, I like it. With 2-dr sedans, I like them to look the part of a cheap car, a sleeper, or a cheap sleeper. 2-dr hardtops need to have the 'flare' to them without being overdone or tacky.

driving a 4 door is like kissing your grandmother
4 doors have never and will never be "COOL"
hence they will never attain the collector value of a two door
the reason is simple, because your DAD drives a 4 door, you and your chick only need 2 doors

cafe- I've owned every type of car body except a convert (come on, I live in Seattle, why bother?). I will agree that 2-drs have the 'cool' factor more than a sedan and more dollar value, but I am a dad,too- so me, my chick, and my two chick-a-dees use 4-doors more than my Valiant 2-dr...
And my dad drives a Jeep Wagoneer, which the only thing cool about it is that it is a billygoat in snow and has 310K miles on it

Ok, when talking about A-body 2-Door cars we need to be more specific. Is it a Hardtop, Sedan (post), or coupe?

Obviously, the hardtop is the most desirable 2-Door model because of the sleek roof lines. Hence, the price and demand.

A Sedan (post) is cool, but to me, it really just looks like a 4-Door trying to be a 2-Door hardtop. If given the choice between two equally cool looking cars, one being a 2-Door post and the other a 4-Door; I would take the latter.

Coupe's are fine, it's like 99 percent a hardtop, so the price difference wouldn't be that drastic. I really liked the vent windows on my Duster.

Now, in the 1950s, 2-Door post cars looked awesome. I'm a big fan of the '57 Ford post cars (basically a '57 Ford Custom 300).

Depends on the car for me. I don't like sedan (post)67-69 darts but on the other hand I prefer the sedan (post) in the 64-66 valiants. I don't suppose it has anythinkg to do with the Dart and Valiant here at the house.

driving a 4 door is like kissing your grandmother
4 doors have never and will never be "COOL"
hence they will never attain the collector value of a two door
the reason is simple, because your DAD drives a 4 door, you and your chick only need 2 doors
Oh thats just bs man i will tell u why the last mopar show i wen to i parked my crashed 64 plymouth val next to my buddys fully done 72 road runner i poped the hod and sat back there was more guys looking at my car the the rr now u can be just as cool .. but ur never going to get the cash out of a 4 door this is one of them evr ones going to say some thing diff so whats the point :banghead:

I'll admit my 2-dr, V-100, Valiant sedan is worth more than than my '85 Gran Fury AHB. But I wouldn't say my Fury isn't cool on a level or two...it's a low-mileage original that ended up @ the fire inspector's office, thus the perfect interior, never had any body damage, and original- hell, the spark plug wires are dated 2/84, it still runs like a clock, and doesn't leak. Pulled it out from around the barn (it's nice to have friends) for a quick wash today. Yes, I have the caps

Is that a NC car? We had one of those here locally that was identical. I love m bodies to! (2dr or 4dr!)

Oh thats just bs man i will tell u why the last mopar show i wen to i parked my crashed 64 plymouth val next to my buddys fully done 72 road runner i poped the hod and sat back there was more guys looking at my car the the rr now u can be just as cool .. but ur never going to get the cash out of a 4 door this is one of them evr ones going to say some thing diff so whats the point :banghead:

I run into the same thing with my 4 door Savoy at shows. My car will always draw a crowd around it even when it's in with some really nice "coomon" muscle. I think more and more people are getting "stale" on the same old, same old - and looking for something unique. I know I am - and deep down inside a shrink would probably tell me that's why i love Mopars! It started long ago with me being sick and tired of seeing row after row of Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles at shows and cruises. Don't get me wrong I like all old Detroit iron when it is done well, but even the most well done common cars get really boring after awhile. Add to that the fact that you can buy just about anything for them and you wind up with everyone having really nice - clones... I feel this now spreading to include Roadrunners, Chargers and even to some extent the E Bodies. Again, don't get me wrong as I would much prefer a nice 68 Charger to a 68 Chevelle and I love the E bodies but I do find myself starting to bypass them at car shows. I am starting to gravitate to things like 57 Dodge HTs, Desotos, early Valiants and yes even 4 door cars - for something different. I would love to have a 1969-70 AMX - just because there are not many around and I think they are really cool cars. One of my favorite cars of the 2500 or so at Pigeon Forge last month was a 62 Valiant Delivery Wagon. I guess all that to say that we all have different likes for different reasons and not everyone has to have a 2 door 69 RR A code 440/6 to enjoy the hobby. :protest:

Is that a NC car? We had one of those here locally that was identical. I love m bodies to! (2dr or 4dr!)

It's a Seattle/King County car. Been here the whole time except from when my buddy took it down to Huntsville, Alabama area for awhile in the early '90's

-
Back