410 stroker camshaft

-

Toluene56

Reaction score
hey folks. In the next couple of months I'll be pulling the new stroker to fix what I believe is an oil plug leak. While it's out, I wanted to upgrade the cam.
Right now engine is 410, 9.9:1 w/ .028 head gaskets.
Air gap intake - possible tunnel ram in future
Procomp heads, 2.02/1.60 - light port work
Crane 285 cam - 228/[email protected] .480 lift
1.5 rockers.
904 trans - manual valve body
Road runner 3800 converter - actually flashes around 4K.
8 3/4 - 3.91 gears (will be done at the same time).

Now this is not really a highway car, it's for cruise ins, stoplight jaunts and the occasional drag strip. what kind of cam have you had luck with? I also have some emails out to some custom cam makers, kinda exploring a bunch of possibilities.

hey folks. In the next couple of months I'll be pulling the new stroker to fix what I believe is an oil plug leak. While it's out, I wanted to upgrade the cam.
1.5 rockers.

Now this is not really a highway car, it's for cruise ins, stoplight jaunts and the occasional drag strip. what kind of cam have you had luck with? I also have some emails out to some custom cam makers, kinda exploring a bunch of possibilities.

How much P/V clearance do you have?
How much retainer to lock clearance do you have?
How much valve spring do you have, or can you get?
How tight are you going to twist it?

Verify compression ratio before ordering a cam.

You have enough gear and converter to use fair bit of cam if the compression is what you think it is, or a bit higher. I'm running 11.01:1 on pump gas with iron heads.

How much P/V clearance do you have?
How much retainer to lock clearance do you have?
How much valve spring do you have, or can you get?
How tight are you going to twist it?

Verify compression ratio before ordering a cam.

You have enough gear and converter to use fair bit of cam if the compression is what you think it is, or a bit higher. I'm running 11.01:1 on pump gas with iron heads.
When I first got the shortblock I checked everything and some measurements.. calculators say static 9.9.
Cam springs are double springs at 145/360 @1.9, coil bind at 1.060. I believe and stock measurement for these heads are supposedly 600 lift but I have not measured, either way I probably wouldn't go higher than .560ish. I have revved this one up to 6k no hiccups not sure how much more I would want to spin it. But this is the first stroker I've had.

Last edited:
1.5 rockers.

Is the tunnel ram a certain look you want? I don't think its going to add much power to that basic setup.

What tire and rear suspension do you have? With the new gear, converter, and little more cam... that very well could be the next bottle neck.

Maybe something in the range of Comp XE275 to a Comp XE284 or comparable. Do you have adjustable rockers? You want and hydraulic cam?

Last edited:
What are the perameters of your driving the car?
Rpm wise, what size tires?

The custom cam will (or at least SHOULD) perform better than a off the self cam will.

Not having been there and done that, I myself would look at a camnin the 240+*'s of duration @ .050 with as much lift as your heads allow.

Let us know who you go with and the specs.

Is the tunnel ram a certain look you want? I don't think its going to add much power to that basic setup.

What tire and rear suspension do you have? With the new gear, converter, and little more cam... that very well could be the next bottle neck.

Maybe something like a Comp XE275 or Comp XE282 or comparable. Do you have adjustable rockers? You want and hydraulic cam?
Honestly the tunnel ram would be purely for looks. It may not happen. Depends if I find one for a decent price or whatever.
Rockers are adjustable, rear suspension is superstock springs with competition engineering 3way shocks. For track outings I was thinking some 255/60/15 et streets... for street I just have some cobra 245/60/15.as far as hydraulic cam I'm open to suggestions, I did get a spec from bullet for a hydraulic roller a couple months back, but not sure if I want to go that route or not.

Last edited:
What are the perameters of your driving the car?
Rpm wise, what size tires?

The custom cam will (or at least SHOULD) perform better than a off the self cam will.

Not having been there and done that, I myself would look at a camnin the 240+*'s of duration @ .050 with as much lift as your heads allow.

Let us know who you go with and the specs.
As far as driving I can get anywhere in town without going o the freeway hence the 3.91 gears and a tire in the 26.5/27.5 diameter range. The point of the car is to bring pure joy, rowdy, loud, smoky joy. Hell later on down the road I may even mini tub the car, but for now 255 is the about the max I can squeeze.

When I first got the shortblock I checked everything and some measurements.. calculators say static 9.9.
Cam springs are double springs at 145/360 @1.9, coil bind at 1.060. I believe and stock measurement for these heads are supposedly 600 lift but I have not measured, either way I probably wouldn't go higher than .560ish. I have revved this one up to 6k no hiccups not sure how much more I would want to spin it. But this is the first stroker I've had.

Sounds like you've got good enough parts to run a pretty decent solid. Unless you want a hydraulic roller.

Sounds like you've got good enough parts to run a pretty decent solid. Unless you want a hydraulic roller.
What kind of solid would work well? I see people have success with the 557 purple cam, which I had thought about earlier in the year. I'm not partial to any specific type of cam (hyd,solid,roller). And I don't have power brakes anymore, so vacuum for brakes isn't an issue.

What kind of solid would work well? I see people have success with the 557 purple cam, which I had thought about earlier in the year. I'm not partial to any specific type of cam (hyd,solid,roller). And I don't have power brakes anymore, so vacuum for brakes isn't an issue.

That .557 is a good cam.
I use Jim at Racer Brown.
I also use Cam Motion, Jones Cams.

I'm not a fan of hydraulic rollers. I would use a tight lash solid roller or a SFT before a hydraulic roller.

That .557 is a good cam.
I use Jim at Racer Brown.
I also use Cam Motion, Jones Cams.

I'm not a fan of hydraulic rollers. I would use a tight lash solid roller or a SFT before a hydraulic roller.
Cool, I'll have to give them a call and see what they would recommend as well.
Off the shelf suggestions? These two cams with 1.6 rockers and well ported heads.

This solid camshaft; Voodoo Solid Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 280/288 - Lunati Power

Or this solid roller camshaft; Voodoo Solid Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 273/279 - Lunati Power

If you run with the tunnel ram, twin Holley 450's?
Or a pair of Edelbrock 500's?
I was leaning towards the 450's. I've honestly never had good luck with edelbrocks. But that is user error i'm sure.

1.5 rockers.

I run this one with 1.6 rockers and procomp heads with 2.05/1.60 valves 10.5:1
Use the car same as you, same stall in mine and gear ratio. Runs great.

Hughes Engines

Nice cam. Good combo. I like a Hyd. roller cam for its flexabilty and ride m span. Normally good and easy on the valve train with long life. They work really nice is a street rod that actually gets driven!
I'm also a fan of high lift if you can get it and use it. If the heads can flow the air, why not use that advantage? You may not need to lift the valve that much, but why leave it on the table when it is RIGHT there for you to pick up!

I'll have to look through some of the hughes grinds as well.

-
Back