416 Burning oil and the road to redemption

-
This is what I'm wanting to know. My bet is a big change in TQ and not so much HP. J.Rob

This gouge is present on all of the pistons due to a sharp edge left where the rod bolt notches were gound into the bottom of the cylinders. A little time with some red Scotchbrite and a sanding roll on the notches and all is well. J.Rob

IMG_20161213_113041.JPG

IMG_20161213_113235.JPG

This gouge is present on all of the pistons due to a sharp edge left where the rod bolt notches were gound into the bottom of the cylinders. A little time with some red Scotchbrite and a sanding roll on the notches and all is well. J.Rob

Beauty!

The pistons are nice Ross forgings. I think I know what happened here. I think these are 4.060" rings and the bore actually measures 4.0715" for exactly .005" piston skirt clearance. Every .001" increase in bore opens ring gap up .003" (pi) So roughly .036" end gap plus the usual .018" gap a non-file fit ring set gives and we have .054". J.Rob
I've been looking at this real hard for 2 days now and I still see .0115 piston to cylinder wall clearance, maybe more. Doesn't mean it won't work, but that would be a wee bit more than I would like to run. What am I missing? What do the piston skirts actually measure? Are the pistons for a 4.060 bore?

Last edited:
I've been looking at this real hard for 2 days now and I still see .0115 piston to cylinder wall clearance, maybe more. Doesn't mean it won't work, but that would be a wee bit more than I would like to run. What am I missing? What do the piston skirts actually measure? Are the pistons for a 4.060 bore?

Sorry for the confusion Jim, this is a 4.070" Bore deal (actual 4.0715") pistons measure 4.0665" for .005" clearance. J.Rob

Sloppy build.

This is the **** that pisses me off. This is the **** that makes people quit the hobby.

Total bullshit on the guy who put it together.

Sloppy build.

This is the **** that pisses me off. This is the **** that makes people quit the hobby.

Total bullshit on the guy who put it together.

The overall build really isnt that bad other than the ring snafu, which I'm hoping was an honest oversight.

Here's some more TLC and minor improvements.

Rockers showing witness marks around the adjuster and from the retainer. Also replacing the spring shims with hardened ones as these are getting chewed from the spring damper. Hardened shim at the top. Also going with the good Viton metal clad valve stem seals. J.Rob

IMG_20161214_084933.JPG

IMG_20161214_085436.JPG

IMG_20161214_085531.JPG

"The overall build wasn't that bad." How sweet of you Jesse! The rocker arms tell us that some other dimensions have to be messed up. Eddy? Aluminum heads? Springs were on the shims? Where were the locators? I'm guessing you are cleaning them up to get the proud metal off of there and then you'll fix the problem.

"The overall build wasn't that bad." How sweet of you Jesse! The rocker arms tell us that some other dimensions have to be messed up. Eddy? Aluminum heads? Springs were on the shims? Where were the locators? I'm guessing you are cleaning them up to get the proud metal off of there and then you'll fix the problem.

It was only 6 rocker arms with some witness marks. I'm sure its the variance in the rocker arms themselves. Yes Eddy heads. Springs were on the shims, I am just tossing the VA-303's which are soft and replacing with VA-303HP's which are hardened. I too prefer locators but these springs are located quite well by the spring pocket in the head actually. J.Rob

It was only 6 rocker arms with some witness marks. I'm sure its the variance in the rocker arms themselves. Yes Eddy heads. Springs were on the shims, I am just tossing the VA-303's which are soft and replacing with VA-303HP's which are hardened. I too prefer locators but these springs are located quite well by the spring pocket in the head actually. J.Rob
Well you are in a better position to determine what is going on than me looking at a picture of a part that is a thousand mile away.

Looks like a good candidate for a B3 shim kit.
I thought so too. Because the marks that I see make me think that the rocker shafts are too low and or too close to the valve and that the pushrods are to long at the same time. But without being able to see the whole picture it is just conjecture. I've clearanced for the retainer but never had to do so for the pushrod cup.

Don't leave us all alone and cold on the "road to redemption" Jesse. You haven't gone silent because I opened my big mouth have you? I still believe!

Don't leave us all alone and cold on the "road to redemption" Jesse. You haven't gone silent because I opened my big mouth have you? I still believe!

No not at all Jim--LOL. Was a very busy day. I did however manage to get the heads resurfaced .005" and reassembled with valvejob , new seals and hardened spring seats. J.Rob

416Eddy.jpg

Speaking of cold it will be -35C here with windchill tonight, that's somewhere in the -30's Faranheit. J.Rob

-
Back