440 build working with what I’ve got

-

HotrodColt

Reaction score
I’ve got a block bored +.060, stock rods and crank, forged 7025P TRW pistons, stock 906 heads with upgraded springs and crane 1.5 roller rockers, .590 purple cam, stock iron intake part #2806178, topping with an 850dp Holley. Hardly have cash for the bearings at gaskets so buying other big parts for it right now is not an option and I don’t mind rebuilding it later when money is more available. Anyone currently running this combo or something really close? If so how does it run?

That intake won't work well with that big cam. And what converter and gears you got for this?

What are these pistons? What compression ratio will it have? Do you know the compression height?

Hardly have cash, how will you afford the fuel?

That intake won't work well with that big cam. And what converter and gears you got for this?

What are these pistons? What compression ratio will it have? Do you know the compression height?

Hardly have cash, how will you afford the fuel?
Should be about 10.3:1 compression ratio, converter is a 3000 stall, 4.11 gears. I can grab a couple gallons of gas here and there, just trying to make the point that coming by an extra $300+ for a new intake or more for a set of aluminum heads isn’t in the budget at the moment. Trying to work with what I’ve got. I do have an edelbrock dual plane for a 383-400 that is up for trade if someone has a 440 intake that they want to swap.

Its a 440 It will probably be a hand full in a light car with street tires. What do you plan on doing with it? Put your money you get into making it safe . Then dial the engine in .

Sell that cam, you don't have enough converter for it. That cam doesn't like to putter around on the street.

while you've got a bit of converter and gear, that cam is just a terrible match for the stock heads and intake. also, i'm not sure how big you can go with a cam on stock heads before you start running into clearance issues and coil bind (i'd probably start checking guide/retainer clearance above 480)-- although this may be a non-issue if you've had the machine work done already.

if i was building on a beer budget, i'd probably try and flip the script on this one. adios the cam, ditch the 850DP for something a little more mellow, and see if i can turn that B manifold into an RB manifold via subliminal manifestation. big cams and DP's make for good trade fodder.

with a light car on the street, i'd go a little more subdued: smaller cam, dual plane of some type, 750(ish) vac 2ndary (or TQ/QJ twins). something like that would absolutely rip, and with the pieces you have, i'm sure you could horse trade your way to a better combo of parts.

if you wanted to spend as little money as possible, you could just stay with the stock intake, port the heads at home, and then stab in like an HP cam or a melling or summit white box. use the sale of the other parts to finance out the cam upgrade.

-
Back