440 swap in 66 cuda

-
I might just try it and find out, lots and pros and cons making it hard to choose lol

its really an easy swap.. headers are not made for it though.. biggest issue. ii did it in my early 20's. the oldheads were all saying that a 440 would not fit in that car.. i proved the grumpy old bastards wrong.. the car wasn't cut to **** either..

its really an easy swap.. headers are not made for it though.. biggest issue. ii did it in my early 20's. the oldheads were all saying that a 440 would not fit in that car.. i proved the grumpy old bastards wrong.. the car wasn't cut to ****

its really an easy swap.. headers are not made for it though.. biggest issue. ii did it in my early 20's. the oldheads were all saying that a 440 would not fit in that car.. i proved the grumpy old bastards wrong.. the car wasn't cut to **** either..
Ok thanks that helps me feel more confident with this project

You can fit anything into anything, if your capable and willing to move metal around.

IMG_20240524_102520.jpg

A performance car without headers isn’t my thing.

I had one. They are a ***** to get a tire on.

The engine bay is significantly smaller so everything hits everything.

The OP can do whatever he wants, but unless he can fabricate I wouldn’t do it.

Old people are way ******* smarter than you give credit. Grow up.

A performance car without headers isn’t my thing.

I had one. They are a ***** to get a tire on.

The engine bay is significantly smaller so everything hits everything.

thats why i said the headers are the worst part. need to have them made or make them..

no problem getting a tire on.. i ran a cormal tire and it didn't even hit the header. i forget what size 14" it was though.. looked correct int he wheel well though.

a 440 hits nothing in that engine bay. atleast mine didn't. not sure what yours would have hit. like i said i even ran the stock blower motor and a 73 styler master cyl in the stock location..

the 440 was much easier to work on then the 360 i previoulsy had in the car. dist easy to get to, plugs easy to get to , starter easy to get to, there was nothing harder to work on with the 440 in my 64 valiant..

Old people are way ******* smarter than you give credit.

not in this case and i have the pictures and video to prove it.. :)

thats why i said the headers are the worst part. need to have them made or make them..

no problem getting a tire on.. i ran a cormal tire and it didn't even hit the header. i forget what size 14" it was though.. looked correct int he wheel well though.

a 440 hits nothing in that engine bay. atleast mine didn't. not sure what yours would have hit. like i said i even ran the stock blower motor and a 73 styler master cyl in the stock location..

the 440 was much easier to work on then the 360 i previoulsy had in the car. dist easy to get to, plugs easy to get to , starter easy to get to, there was nothing harder to work on with the 440 in my 64 valiant..

not in this case and i have the pictures and video to prove it.. :)

Did the 360 have headers?

If you think fitting a 7 inch tire is what I meant you have to think differently.

Part of my reply ended up in the box. Just an fyi.

my 65 dart kept the blower motor with clearance for the 440 valve cover. engine position, front to back was set by the 727 on the /6 mount and trans crossmember. i cut the k member a fair chunk and boxed it back in for strength to clear the sump i had. i made fenderwell headers which gave fair to decent spark plug clearance. i had to do head gaskets which was fairly easy a while later with the motor in situ. worst part of that job was header bolts.
neil.

If you think fitting a 7 inch tire is what I meant you have to think differently.

Part of my reply ended up in the box. Just an fyi.

no the 360 had manifolds. headers for a small block in those cars are a pain in the ***.

you talking front or rear tires? i fit a 28x9 if i remember correctly under it at the track. didn't hit anywhere.

no the 360 had manifolds. headers for a small block in those cars are a pain in the ***.

you talking front or rear tires? i fit a 28x9 if i remember correctly under it at the track. didn't hit anywhere.

I meant the rear. I’m not a big front tire guy.

even as a first project other then getting headers for it, its an easy swap.
Of course it's an easy swap for people who know a bit about these. Based on his questions and posts though, let's be honest - he's in over his head. My advice holds. Stick with a small block. This is coming from someone building a big block early A.

Last edited:
-
Back