5.0 Front Servo Spring

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble with my front servo spring as it doesn't seem to fit on the front servo piston rod guide properly.

I have a 5.0 front servo and this is the spring that came out of it. As you can see by the pictures the spring sits on top of the perches not in the middle of the perches which is how I would assume the spring should sit.

Is this how the spring is supposed to be on the 5.0 front servo or does anyone have the correct part # or spring size for the 5.0 front servo spring?

As always thanks a bunch!

20200425_002131.jpg

20200425_002147.jpg

20200425_002230.jpg

20200425_002258.jpg

20200425_002320.jpg

I dont remember which direction the servo and spring are supposed to sit. Check your service manual. One of these parts can actually be installed backwards. I made that mistake 1 time. Transmission would shift fine until 3rd gear then it would engage 3rd and reverse at the same time believe and smoke the clutches. I took it apart 2 times. Finally figured out I had the piston in wrong. I felt like an idiot but I learned something that day I would never forget. When I rebuilt the 727 for my dads lil red express, I made sure I drew pix of the parts orientation on the plastic bags I put each piston in. Then reassembled them like the pix I drew. Trans shifted just fine.

Last edited:
I'm having a little trouble with my front servo spring as it doesn't seem to fit on the front servo piston rod guide properly.

I have a 5.0 front servo and this is the spring that came out of it. As you can see by the pictures the spring sits on top of the perches not in the middle of the perches which is how I would assume the spring should sit.

Is this how the spring is supposed to be on the 5.0 front servo or does anyone have the correct part # or spring size for the 5.0 front servo spring?

As always thanks a bunch!

View attachment 1715515804

View attachment 1715515805

View attachment 1715515806

View attachment 1715515807

View attachment 1715515808

Are you sure that's not the accumulator spring?

Spring doesent look tapered..View attachment 1715515893

Just an FYI, accumulator springs vary a lot.
I've seen some that were super heavy and short. and some were lighter and longer when out of the servo.
Point is, we can't count on the picture to show what it actually looks like.

Look at this one compared to the pic you posted.

100_2445.JPG

That actually looks like a 727 rear servo piston spring from a shift kit. I take that kit was in there and u are checking it over/rebuilding it. Or r u adding the shift kit. Give us some details. We don’t have a crystall ball, well RRR does. The Trans go -2/-3 kits come with a HD rear spring that only fits the 727, not the 904. Someone wasn’t on the ball when they put it together. Or if it is a front servo spring it is for a 727, not a 904. R u doing the install. Lots of times the outer spring in the front servo was left out for a better/faster shift on a stick rebuild. If u don’t have the other factory spring put up a wanted ad. Someone near u will have 1. Kim

Went we took the trans apart there were no springs on either side of the accumulator......

Went we took the trans apart there were no springs on either side of the accumulator......

That actually makes sense and falls right in line with that VB already getting a kit at some point.
The accumulator wasn't blocked, just no spring?
So the rear servo and front servo springs got swapped.
Those are the only two spring even close to each other.

What shift kit is it? Was it installed or r u guys installing it. Throw us some scraps please. Kim

It's already been either kitted or modified, and they have a new kit for it.
That drilled 3/8 ball and spring socket being drilled is something some kits instruct to do, so I don't think it would have already been drilled if it was just someone messing around.
I think it's very likely the VB already has that same kit in it that they are planning to put in.

At this point I would be tempted to leave the VB alone and see how it acts.
It can always be pulled down later if there is a problem with it.

That spring is too large to be a rear servo or accumulator spring. And by the looks of it, too large for the front servo too.

Must be a secret shift kit. With Rusty’s crystal ball broken we have no way of knowing what it is. Those dam cats anyways. Kim

Ok...i have another front drum we can use .....i just put 4 disc in it and it has .060 clearance....some people will be able to sleep better...and let me see if i got a 904 around here with a front servo in it...

i was going to knock the pistons in that 390 motor....lol

If ur using the 5.0 lever u absolutely need 2 springs in the front servo. So what kit is this? Kim

It's a stock 904 rebuild kit with an already modified VB. About half of the modifications in the VB already were exactly what the TF2 kit called for so I only had to drill 1 hole larger on the plate, drill the 1 wall and file where the manual valve goes.

As for the servo here are the part #s on my front servo and the book picture.

20200425_085824.jpg

20200425_085836.jpg

20200425_085842.jpg

20200425_085738.jpg

20200425_085732.jpg

20200425_090557.jpg

Maybe someone knows. Was the front servo smaller on a 68 904 than it was on a newer 904 (like 71?) I was given another front servo with spring but the face of the servo has a larger diameter. My original spring also fits in the newer 71 part I was given. Heres some pictures. Also included is a picture of the 727 rear servo spring that was included in the tf2 kit for reference.

20200425_092556.jpg

20200425_092614.jpg

20200425_092803.jpg

20200425_093242.jpg

Ok...i have another front drum we can use .....i just put 4 disc in it and it has .060 clearance....some people will be able to sleep better...and let me see if i got a 904 around here with a front servo in it...

i was going to knock the pistons in that 390 motor....lol

Now that's funny. Need me to come help knock those pistons in for you? I'll bring the baby, she is good at knockin things as shown on her noggin but she loves old cars as shown with her holding a 69 dart.

-
Back