5.9 Magnum into a 73Duster

-
Thanks for the kind words. A lot of others are way head of me one this swap. Really like all of the input/ ideas. Didn't get as far as I wanted to this week. But did get my cooler installed into the garage. Did get the ECU out and clean it up.
Notice that Summit out of stock on the balance kit for the convertor. until the 29 this month. OH well

Picture 001.jpg

I have been waiting for over a month for a replacement Kevco pan that got beat up by ups. Hopefully in this week. I'm not going the full on computer route like you, but just putting on a carb manifold and changing the front to old style. Best of luck to you. I am enjoying this thread as well.

If you do the swap, and have money to burn slappin on a Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger really wakes these engines up. Got one in my 5.9 Dakota R/T and it puts a nice smile on you're face. Dan

Can't see why not. Just check the width of the axles, you may have to have the diff narrowed to match your old. Is its close you could use offset rims. With the rear disc brakes you will need to adjust the pressure to the rear with some adj valve( its been a long day). And your drive line will need to be prob shorten. Maybe some has more info on this.. OG

I have just been enjoying the rewards of this swap for the last few weeks. My best piece of advise is to use the OBD1 harness and computer to keep things simple. We have hotrods here, so going to the extra trouble of OBD2 will unnecessarily complicate things, with marginal possibily of performance increase IMHO. My Page is on Car Domain at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2444595
It should provide a good overview. I scrapped the A518 idea long after modifying the crossmember, only due to the fact that I will hopefully be getting a 1968 Dart, which will be the new project. My car is what you'd call "A518 prepped". I can post some pics here, but if you can read this forum I assume you can get to Car Domain and See the whole project.

Dan

Just got the old 360 out, WOW love them headers. Now time to pick up a torque converter.The two places I called wanted to know the weight on the old converter. Due to that Mopar used three different weights 100,120,132 grams. So I'm waiting for a reply from guy I pick up the Magnum from.

Picture 001.jpg

Digging in to harness to break out just what I need to fire. Waiting on the converter balance weights. A lot of different colors WOW. Heres a couple of pictures.Next is the harness on the engine OG

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Got to work a little on the Magnum this weekend, The oil pan and pick up tube installed. Worked on the front motor mounts,installed energy inserts, not sure if I like the way they turned out, will be a tight fit into the frame. May have to take the the other set I have to work and burn the rubber out.These where already falling apart.LOL

Bought a torque converter a Summit Saturday and for some odd reason I can't get the bolt holes to line up with the Magnum tone/flex plate. I also noticed that the flex plate off the Magnum has counter weights already. MMmm I now wonder if I need to add the weights to the torque? But the bolt holes lined up with the old LA flex. This one may be better in the trans section.

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

if the magnum is externaly balanced...i dont know if it is or not, you will need a weighted flex plate,,check B&M or mopar or mancini for those parts and info

All production 360s are externally-balanced. The old 360 were 19 in-oz out of balance while the 360 Magnum is 14 in-oz out of balance. Got this info from the instruction sheet that came in the P5249843 kit from Mopar. I scare myself when I read them first. :read2: Which now looks like I don't need.
Since I running the EFI I stuck with the factory tone ring/flex plate. Tranniedoc in the trans section stated that the newer mopar converters have the bolt pads 90 degs apart now,no more offset.
Lining up the crank bolt holes with the Magnum and LA flex plates laying on each other. the weight on the Magnum lines up in the same position on the converter. We'll file the hole out some time this week.
Thanks for all the help.

Hey Geezz,
Hows the wiring coming?
I finally bought a camera and took some photos.
Here are a few pics of what I did to route my Rad Hose with no air bubble

dad hose 03.jpg

bracket.jpg

rad hose 04.jpg

radhose01.jpg

Nice pictures. Like the way the hose route came out. Haven't done much on the wiring the last couple of weekends. Had to put a clutch in my pickup.And got my Struck tractor loader frame in the garage,broke the main frame bearing mount out of the arm. But did spend way to much at Summit sat. Its a bad thing to have them so close. Trying to at lease get the motor. in the car. Maybe this weekend.Almost have to many irons in the fire. 8)

What did you do about the Magnum not having the proper stud on the main bolt for the oil pan pickup?

Hi Steve, I'm running the stock pan and pickup tube. Think your best bet is check out ARP studs kits.OR if you have a good parts store in your area you may find one the right size with what you need.

On a good note I got my new fuel sender with 3/8 tube with a return and the fuel pump. Now if I can get time to install them.

Picture 069.jpg

Picture 070.jpg

Picture 071.jpg

The stock Magnum pan works in the A-body?

I didn't realize that...

nope, he meant a stock pre magnum car pan.
I'm not sure what stud bolt you are talking about.
There was no issue on my pan conversion.
La and Magnum bottom ends can swap pans, pickups and if you get the bolt kit, windage trays too. You also need to get gaskets for whichever pan you are using.

Not the stock Magnum pan, but the a stock 360 LA pan for an A body. Sorry if I miss lead ya. I just happen to have an extra pan and pickup tube from an other Duster.

Picture 008.jpg

Hey Geez, Didn't realize you were on right now.
Whats the latest?
I didn't get to Reno for the air races again this year:angry7:
Did you see any of it?

nope, he meant a stock pre magnum car pan.
I'm not sure what stud bolt you are talking about.
There was no issue on my pan conversion.
La and Magnum bottom ends can swap pans, pickups and if you get the bolt kit, windage trays too. You also need to get gaskets for whichever pan you are using.

Yeah, I got that.

On the pickup that cam with my aftermarket pan, there is a tab that is supposed to mount to a stud on the end of one of the main bolts. Being as the stock Magnum pickup doesn't cross any mains, there is no such stud on the Magnum engine. I ASSumed that there was one on the stock 360, but never having torn down an LA 360, I don't know for sure.

Hey Geez, Didn't realize you were on right now.
Whats the latest?
I didn't get to Reno for the air races again this year:angry7:
Did you see any of it?

Just the ones buzzing over the house.LOL I do like the jets though.WE can see the planes going around turns 1&2 from the house.:toothy10:

Yeah, I got that.

On the pickup that cam with my aftermarket pan, there is a tab that is supposed to mount to a stud on the end of one of the main bolts. Being as the stock Magnum pickup doesn't cross any mains, there is no such stud on the Magnum engine. I ASSumed that there was one on the stock 360, but never having torn down an LA 360, I don't know for sure.

Not I'm aware of. All of the pickup tubes just thread into the pump only, far as stock goes.Maybe where you got the pan from may have a part number you can use.

Can't say I've seen what you have.
I'll take a guess that your setup was designed using a windage tray, and those main bearing bolts have the stud, or a threaded bolt hole in the end that you need.

-
Back