5.9 Magnum into a 73Duster

-
sorry to butt in,,, since you are talking magnums and LA mixing parts,,does any one know for sure if the magnum exhaust manifolds fit properly on a LA 318 ? i may be using a 318 in my street rod,and i would need rear exit exhaust,the magnums look nicer and have rear exit,, thanks any and every one

Hi Guys I did this converison 12 years ago install a 5.2 EFI and a 518 overdrive in a 1964 Dodge Dart GT and It was in HOT ROD Mag first then Mopar Action next and am still driving it once an awhile. Last year I took a 1994 Dakota 3.9 and install it in my 1966 Dart Wagon with the 500 Overdrive and a 8 1/4 posi with 3.55 gears and it is my every day driver. The Electric is the hardest part of the whole job. This makes three that I have done.

Picture 526 (Medium).jpg

Picture 527 (Medium).jpg

Picture 529 (Medium).jpg

both look great,, love the 64 dart,, nice job, were they yard engines or rebuilt ?

fstfsh - I've been running Magnum exhaust manifolds on my LA 318 with no problems

Nice job dart64gt.On the dart,where did you mount the ecu? Don't see it in the pics.

Pulled the pass side header out and welded in the 02 sensor bung. Hope we can install the engine before the snow flies again .

Picture 012.jpg

The eng in the red Dart Gt was out of a very low mileage Dakota 193 miles and the 3.9 was out of a wreck Dakota also but had more miles 53,000 but I freshen it up before I instal it.

I will have the Dart Wagon at Fall Fling tomorrow in the swap meet area some where. You can't miss it.

repainted magnum 3.9.jpg

Got a few more things done on the Duster: Tranie notched for the crank sensor, and the flex plate hole filed to match the converter.

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Got the Magnum set in today. Now the real fun starts. Like where to mount every thing . Looks like the battery will have to be moved. The only two choices are the pass side of the trunk or pass side front fender.Will know more in the day light.

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Not much done to the Duster.Been cleaning out the garage so I can get it inside. With that now finished, I can start on the fuel system/wiring. =P~

On a sad note, Just check the Painless site and they have put the 5.9 EFI harness on hold. :pale:

there are several others building wiring,,check street and performance,there web site is some thing like hotrodlane .com,,he builds wiring,mounts,etc for all the big 3 conversions,,the first to do a 5.7 swap wiring harness,,

also a company called hay wires i know they make a magnum harnes for street rodders,,

or check ron francis,,he has a lot of weird mopar wiring things,

get your self a street rodder magazine,, lots of conversion type advertisment in those magazines,,

checked out hot wire wow, i see they are part of street and performance projects,,,those wiring kits arent cheap,,, may be cheap[er to get wiring from a donor vehicle,,,

Well I got the duster into the garage, But been busy on other projects. Here its Xmas time. For my birthday I ordered a set of Mopar subframe connectors from Summit but got back-ordered for two months cancelled them and got a set competition engineering. Worked on the radiator hoses. For the bottom I cut one end off the Durango lower hose. The top was a little harder. Cut down the bracket by the alternator/AC compressor ( thanks to charger70 for the idea) used a 94 dodge PU hose cut down and a 73 Duster with a slant 6 for the short 90 deg with a splice. Going to try and mount the ECU inside under the dash and hopefully run it through where the factory firewall bulkhead POS is. Need to completely rewire the car anyway. The factory fan is hitting the upper hose. So now its time to save for electric set up.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Has anyone tested fitted the Magnum exhaust manifolds on an A-body? It looks tight compared to other Mopars.

Picked up a set of new TTI headers off of CraigsList yesterday for a good price.So new my wiring harness will have to wait. Was going to buy a set of Dougs but I couldn't pass these up.

Picture 001.jpg

Looking good :) I was thinking of building a 360 efi engine for mine, if I don't go with the 354 hemi :)

Got the subframe connectors installed today. Now I have a place to run the new fuel lines for the EFI.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Bolted to on the outside, the inner bolt hole lined up inside the front frame tube.So both ends are welded, still got to build some gussets.Hope that the snow has melted off my steel pile. I want to drop the fuel tank today for the new sender and start on the fuel lines.

-
Back