/6-225 to 318 Scamp conversion

-

DEREK HESER

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to the forum, I'm trying to find out information on what I need to do to switch out the Ignition from my 1974 Scamp /6-225 to a 1997 magnum 318 out of a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. Thanks

You're going to have to explain what you're doing a lot better than what you've done so far. Are you doing a 6cyl. to 8cyl drivetrain swap, or just some ignition parts? Most 6cyl. and 8cyl ignition parts are completely different.

You're going to have to explain what you're doing a lot better than what you've done so far. Are you doing a 6cyl. to 8cyl drivetrain swap, or just some ignition parts? Most 6cyl. and 8cyl ignition parts are completely different
Thanks for the reply cudamark. So what I have is a 1974 Plymouth Scamp with a 3.7L /6 and I want to put a 5.2L 318 Magnum out of a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. I've been doing some research, but I'm still far from understanding everything I'll need to do the swap. I want to remove the EFI and run carb. So far I understand that I will have to switch out the ignition and fuel systems.
I also want to either rebuild the 727 that's still in the Scamp or replace with new/reman. I only want to make the Scamp a daily cruiser, nothing too crazy (<400hp)
So I guess my main question is: what ignition and fuel systems would you recommend and what other tricks do I need to know?
Thanks again

It's highly unlikely that you would have a 727 in your slant 6 Scamp. Regardless, it's not going to work behind your 318 Magnum anyway. Get the trans that's in the 97 Ram along with the engine. There should be a thread here somewhere about getting the electronics working in an earlier car. The EFI system for the street is a way better system than a carb, but, if you want to revert back to one, you mainly need an intake, carb, air cleaner, electric fuel pump, and maybe a V8 throttle cable, brackets, etc. I haven't personally done the Magnum swap, so, others will probably chime in here for more details on mounts, exhaust, oil pan, etc, that you're going to need.

Your problems are absolutely two fold and possibly three..
First the transmission. A slant 6 transmission will not fit on a V8. And slant 6's never did come with a 727. They came with a 904. If they were automatic. So the first thing you got to do is shot for a transmission. I would recommend a small block 904 transmission.
Working our way forward second would be the motor mounts. the V8 will not Mount where the slant six mounted unless you either have a motor mount conversion kit or a V8 k frame. And then you would need the motor mounts for the V8 as well.
Putting a magnum v8 and is a great idea. Although there are many things from top to bottom and front to back that must be taken into consideration. The easiest way is to yes go to Speedmaster and get a $226 4 barrel intake manifold. Maybe wait till Black Friday and get it cheaper. Four-barrel carburetor. You'll need to go to I can't remember the place but they sell a piece that goes on the end of the cam to run your fuel pump. as it doesn't have it because Magnums have fuel injection. You'll need a distributor and the electrical system from an LA motor and you'll need everything from the timing chain cover forward. And you'll need a car oil pan and pick up tube as you're putting it in a car and the one on the original Magnum engine is from a truck.
I could be wrong about some stuff as I haven't done the swap but I've looked into it quite a bit. I'm sure others will chime in with what I got wrong and what I forgot or don't know...

Go LA 360. More cubes, same amount of money as a 318 build.
Much more straight forward. 360 balancer, B&M 904/360 flexplate, neutral balanced torque converter, SB 904,V8 driveshaft, slant to SB motor mounts. SB radiator. This will get you in the ballpark.

Mopar did indeed make 727's for slant 6's, just look in any pickup or van with one. They also came in some taxi/police cars. The problems is the bell housing.....different pattern than a V8. There no firm reason why you couldn't use the front end of the Magnum engine with all it's brackets and serpentine belt system. You can change that all over to an LA system, but, I've seen many conversions that left that all stock, and just added a low pressure electric fuel pump.

Mopar did indeed make 727's for slant 6's, just look in any pickup or van with one. They also came in some taxi/police cars. The problems is the bell housing.....different pattern than a V8. There no firm reason why you couldn't use the front end of the Magnum engine with all it's brackets and serpentine belt system. You can change that all over to an LA system, but, I've seen many conversions that left that all stock, and just added a low pressure electric fuel pump.
Well there you go I stand corrected...

Also, the nice thing about some of the later transmissions, is that you can run lower rear end gears and still get decent mileage with having the overdrive. It's a matter of which trans it is and if you can get the electronics to work without major mods. You also have to do some trans mount, driveshaft, and maybe some tunnel work to get some of them to fit.

A 400hp 5.2, is gonna cost you.
They were rated 230hp from the factory.
From that truck 5.2;
the only major parts you can reuse are the block, the crank and maybe the rods. The rest will have to go.

And the final result; a 400hp 5.2 is not very streetable.

Even taking a 5.9 or an LA360 out to 400 is not cheep. If going this route the LA can fall together at about 10.5 or more with the Alloy heads you will want to run.

But I may be confused because you said;
I only want to make the Scamp a daily cruiser, nothing too crazy (<400hp)

If that's true; then a plain jane 5.2 will be just fine with 3.23s or better.

Last edited:
-
Back