64 barracuda overheating issues

-

Seansmopar

Reaction score
Hi folks been having issues with my 273..I acquired my plymouth last September I think the weather was to cool to overheat, now since its been warmer out I noticed the temperature is climbing gets to around half mark on factory gauge idling will fall between 1/4 and 1/2 when 80-85 outside temp this is after a new pump a larger diameter inlet 160 thermostat, has factory 7 blade fan non clutch, no air/conditioning, the factory radiator seems to be the weakest link..I noticed champion makes a 3 row aluminum factory fit...has anyone had good luck with this radiator... My original 2 row flows but maybe I can improve...also fan is as close to radiator it will suck my hand to front side of radiator upon excellerating..please any thoughts would be appreciated want to preserve the original 273... Thanks Sean

Blow out the radiator, put a 185 or higher thermostat, no reason stock set up won't work. I don't run a shrouds on 6cyl with a stock 4 blade fan and never have issues, and I live in central california. Also radiator might have plugged or blocked off tubes.

Factory temp. gauge 1/4 mark is 160, 1/2 is 190...Sounds like your running too cool which is not good for your motor either and your not tapping all your HP. I use a "Robert Shaw" t-stat 185-195 (can't recall) and run my 273 Commando hard in 95 degree /humid days....she teeters between 190-210, back to 190 range (I use both factory & aftermarket temp. gauges.) I have the stock 2 row radiator & Mildon water pump.

First thing to do is get a actual temp reading.
The post above stating what the needle positions represent are a close guess at best. These gauges are only range indicators with thermal responders inside. After 40+ years of operation, they can't be the same as new.
A shroud for the early A is about as rare as the air conditioning it belongs with.

My 64 is at 185 when at 1/2 way mark on stock gauge. I did make my own shroud but temp never changed (still stays 1/2 on gauge) That's when I used wifes meat thermometer to see what actual temp was compared to gauge. No more worries.

Had same issues with a 273,,,,,,

It was bored .040 over, and the clearances were a little too tight......

I went with a new 3-Row Radiator, and that was the trick.

I'd hold off on the 3 row...My 273 is pretty well modified...port polished heads, 600 Holley double pumper carb, duals & a Lunati cam 515/.525 with a 4.10 rear and 26.5" tires...taching 3000rpms @ 50mph and no overheating. Just took her on 30mile trip in 90degree heat / humdity and she ran 190 for me the whole time. Just as REDFISH recommended I also used a candy or meat thermometer to check my temps its worth the few bucks.

Thanks for the responses, wouldn't trade them in for gold...I can probably come close to the record as how fast does it take to change a thermostat..today I installed a 195 degree seems to be ok. Recirculated hot air around the engine today idling for 20 min..seems to be ok went just a touch over 1/4 mark..I also drilled 4 tiny holes in thermostat...excellerated it several times it maybe ok...possibly the other thermostats where staying open..I'll have to drive it see what happens..

The t-stat should go to its normal range and when the coolant runs hot to about 215/225 the t-stat opens up and should cool back down to 195. If that is what's happening now it looks like you solved your issue.

Thanks all for the help will let you know what happens when I drive it..just so happens we had a nasty storm open up here in northwest Indiana the drive will have to wait along with my grass cutting..

-
Back