65 Barracuda daily driver

-
In my last post I mentioned that the transmission shifts weird and possibly needs a band adjustment, right?

I just came across this photo that I took when I was dealing with that leaky neutral safety switch. You can see that the front band adjustment lock nut is not touching the transmission case, so it's likely completely loose?! :BangHead:

AP1GczPAqbpyvffefoCE5aKKEJiAlIVCqgtv4Fy_Nl446EFaEUsBibgKAPyRhKJs23kapmBUzrwOIdcEnuOx9Lb1S3ICUwFPbgJE6b7RYnqxPEbrT0RlORZ5TNzKjwdRLO8WuSqF2Zg3epBDsTe8mfWpPJ_-3g=w791-h1054-s-no-gm

I will tackle that this as soon as possible. So I read that you are supposed to tighten the stud to 72 in lbs (6ft lbs) and then back off 2 or 2 1/2 turns and tighten the lock nut.

'65 manual says 2 turns for 273 V8

So the front band adjuster stud had worked itself out about half way, so there was no adjustment at all. I torqued it to 72 in lbs and turned it back 2 turns and now I've got 2nd gear!!! Had to adjust the kickdown a bit, but now it's shifting great!

Hopefully I'll have some time later today to add some sound deadener to the trunk. It sounds great so far, but it's still a bit boomy.

-
Back