65 barracuda gas fill issue

-

Frank Dinatally

Reaction score
Does anyone have an answer for what you can do to be able to fill gas at a somewhat normal Flo instead of a trickle. Anything above a trickle it splashes back all over side of car

1.) Hold the nozzle upside down when you fill.
2.) Add a fuel restrictor to the fill tube.
3.) Add a larger vent to the tank (generally done in conjunction with a rollover valve).
4.) Have the fill tube modified (Layson's used to offer this service, don't know if they still do).

The reason it splashes back out of the tank is because most pumps are set too high for our cars- the displaced air in the tank can't vent out fast enough, and the fuel burps back out.

1.) Hold the nozzle upside down when you fill.
2.) Add a fuel restrictor to the fill tube.
3.) Add a larger vent to the tank (generally done in conjunction with a rollover valve).
4.) Have the fill tube modified (Layson's used to offer this service, don't know if they still do).
What is a fuel restrictor?

Sounds like you need to vent the fill tube. Or clean it out if it has one.

Everyone I know with early barracuda has the exact same issue. Keep the ideas coming guys.
All early As have the same issue- Barracudas, Valiants, Darts. Even my wagon.
The dinky 1 5/8" filler tube combined with the nearly horizontal angle of it, is the main issue. The early tank will not take a larger diameter filler, and the angle is built in (short of using a top-fill fuel cell in the trunk). All that's left is either additional venting or shielding the splash (fuel restrictor), otherwise you just fill slower. Beats wrecking the paint over time.
The Aussies had a simple trick on their A bodies- a bolt-on spill tray. It didn't get rid of the fuel splash, but it at least kept it off the body.
1724987023511.png

That looks like a pretty good way to solve something. So far looks like fuel restrictor. I had 2 65 barracudas at the same time in late 60’s and early 70’s. I just don’t remember this

That looks like a pretty good way to solve something. So far looks like fuel restrictor. I had 2 65 barracudas at the same time in late 60’s and early 70’s. I just don’t remember this
Yeah, wasn't as much of a problem then- the gas pumps didn't run as fast I'm told. The nozzles for regular were bigger and they pumped slower.

I had 2 65 barracudas at the same time in late 60’s and early 70’s. I just don’t remember this
It was a problem people bіtched about right from the start with the A-bodies. Here are pages from a Popular Mechanics report on the '62 Valiant (you can read the whole thing here). Lookit the caption on the pic there on the front page:

62VRT_1.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-08-29 at 20.25.07.jpg

Last edited:
#slantsixdan sold me my gas cap a few years ago. It’s been the best dang gas cap on my 66’ that money could buy.

Side note: 60-66 all had the same problem…. Do manufactures ever listen and fix stuff without the corrupt government getting involved? 60 years later and the answer is still “no.”

Next question is I found a chrome gas cap for 67 to 70 a bodies . is that cap the same for 65
There are original reproductions on here and ebay. You can see the machining lines in the finish on some of them but that can be scuffed and buffed smooth just like you did with your rear quarter chrome spears. Thanks by the way for saving yours I only had the one perfect set left. See example below for the machined billet cap with the VITON o ring

Last edited:
Next question is I found a chrome gas cap for 67 to 70 a bodies . is that cap the same for 65
Gas Cap Barracuda Valiant Dart Mopar Plymouth 1963 1964 1965 1966 Early A-body | eBay I like this style Frank but you can get them in almost any color as well. Steve at KD engineering machines these and he has proven them in the field. There are also several other vendors making this version some are better than others. Look through the examples on ebay for the quality and price differences and you should be all good.

Last edited:
Contact member “Rick@Laysons”, they have a filler neck adapter
That keeps the gas from coming back up the tube. It’s not cheap, but it works!

-
Back