65 Barracuda tranny

-

dart_man440

Mopar 4 Life
Reaction score
I was looking for some information on swaping a 6 cyl for a V8 on a 65, so far what I got is: you need to change the center link for a droped link, no worries there, I had a 66 a long time ago and I remember it had the center console with a regular 904. this 65 has the cable shifter, how do you go about switching over to the other set-up? I had no luck doing a search, maybe I just don't know how. Any help is much appreciated.

The good news is, you don't have to swap the K member. 273 brackets and insulators will bolt in a 273 or 318. If you want a 340 or 360 you will need conversion mounts (Schumacher comes to mind) and the aforementioned center link. Don't forget the 90 degree oil filter adapter and 273 exhaust manifolds or very pricey headers.
Now, for the hard part. Prior to 1966 Ma Mopar used a ball and trunnion driveline instead of the later slip yoke and U joint setup. You can pick up a V8 ball and trunnion transmission which will let you keep your current shifter, drive shaft, and rear end; or you can swap to the later slip yoke tranny, drive shaft, and rear end. If you go this route, plan on buying a shifter. You may also need to find a 64-66 cable throttle pedal assembly if you have the rod linkage on your slant. Hope this helps.

If youre doing a bracket car can you chop out inner fenders to make a body headers work. I want to put a 360 727 combo in a 64 dart .It will be a open header bracket car

The good news is, you don't have to swap the K member. 273 brackets and insulators will bolt in a 273 or 318. If you want a 340 or 360 you will need conversion mounts (Schumacher comes to mind) and the aforementioned center link. Don't forget the 90 degree oil filter adapter and 273 exhaust manifolds or very pricey headers.
Now, for the hard part. Prior to 1966 Ma Mopar used a ball and trunnion driveline instead of the later slip yoke and U joint setup. You can pick up a V8 ball and trunnion transmission which will let you keep your current shifter, drive shaft, and rear end; or you can swap to the later slip yoke tranny, drive shaft, and rear end. If you go this route, plan on buying a shifter. You may also need to find a 64-66 cable throttle pedal assembly if you have the rod linkage on your slant. Hope this helps.

grumpuscreature, thank you for the reply, I do have 273 manifolds, brackets and the 90 oil adaptor, I also have a tranny, drive shaft an a rear end from a 69 dart, will this work?. What shifter can I use? would one from a later A body work? I'm new to 64-66 a bodys, so I can use all the help I can get! thank you again.

You'll need to change your shifter for a linkage shifter, or use a '65 cable tranny. '64's have the cable too, but they were pushbutton so the cables are a different length.

You'll need to change your shifter for a linkage shifter, or use a '65 cable tranny. '64's have the cable too, but they were pushbutton so the cables are a different length.

65's, Would the shifter from a 66 work?

I believe one from a 66 would work but you will have to cut a hole in the side of the tranny hump and find the boot that goes with it.

If you have a cable throttle pedal you're good to go. A '66 shifter will work or you could go aftermarket. Glad I could help.

If you have a cable throttle pedal you're good to go. A '66 shifter will work or you could go aftermarket. Glad I could help.

grumpuscreature, I think you got me on the right direction, one more item, can the cable throttle pedal be from a later abody?
Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated.

The shift mechanism changed from cable (65 and prior) to rods (66 and later). Imperial services www.imperialservices.com sells an adapter to keep your original cable shifter and use a later transmission. Or just use some sort of aftermarket shifter.
If you don't care what this finished product looks like, then you could probably adapt a later throttle pedal.

grumpuscreature, I think you got me on the right direction, one more item, can the cable throttle pedal be from a later abody?
Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated.
Really hard to say right now. My current A body is a '66 with rod linkage. I have a cable throttle assembly that I got off Ebay for 10 bucks. I would post a pic of it so you could get an idea what the mounting plate looks like, but for some reason the disc from my hard drive exited the tower yesterday and buried itself in the wall. I am limping along on the kid's tower for now and have no SD card reader or USB ports. If you have both early and late A bodies available, crawl under the dash and see if the mounting plates are close enough to work. The throttle assemblies aren't hard to find, all you need is a V8 '64-'66 donor.
You're welcome, that's what we're here for.:wave:

grumpuscreature, Thank you again, I'll start helping my friend tomorrow and I want to be able to help! if you know what I mean.
C130Chief, the link you posted takes me to some carpet cleaning place, LOL

If you're putting in a 360 and the stock cable shifted 904 from behind a 273 what needs to happen in the converter department??

You need a converter with the appropriate spline count for your input/reaction shafts, and a weighted (B&M makes them) flex plate.

Also a good quality rebuild and TF-2 kit would be a good idea.

-
Back