66 Dart Owners thread

-
It’s looking good. I used oven cleaner to take off the under coating. I just sprayed the yellow can left it over night and pressure washed it off. It only took about an hour of actual work. It will take the paint off with the undercoating. I guess the D Dart didn’t even have seam sealer. I don’t think I want to make my tribute car that accurately. The rattling would drive you crazy!

View attachment 1715561023

View attachment 1715561024

View attachment 1715561025
Wow ! Thanks for the tip, clean car

It’s looking good. I used oven cleaner to take off the under coating. I just sprayed the yellow can left it over night and pressure washed it off. It only took about an hour of actual work. It will take the paint off with the undercoating. I guess the D Dart didn’t even have seam sealer. I don’t think I want to make my tribute car that accurately. The rattling would drive you crazy!

View attachment 1715561023

View attachment 1715561024

View attachment 1715561025
My latest D/Dart has a little undercoating in the wheel well area. That's about it. Tomorrow, I'll check to see if there is any seam sealer in the trunk.

My 1966 Dart. Just got her home, so it's now official. Glad to be part of the family. Let the fun begin. Thanks @SGBARRACUDA .

1966 Dodge Dart.jpg

Man it looks better already sitting at your house. I’m glad to see you made it ok. Man that was a lot of driving. Glad I got to meet you and your dad. Keep me posted.

Man it looks better already sitting at your house. I’m glad to see you made it ok. Man that was a lot of driving. Glad I got to meet you and your dad. Keep me posted.
Dang, that's what this Mopar hobby and this site is all about. Congrats to both of you.

Thank you Toolmanmike! I am really looking forward to bringing her back to glory! ...And maybe a little bit more. (I may start a thread.)

I said Hi over on the welcome wagon some weeks back, I was recommend to check in here with the other 66-er’s.
This is my 66 post. I’ve always done amateur resto’s myself on all my prior cars but when this one came along at a very fair price I picked it up. It has a beautiful paint job and very good interior. It just needed a few mechanicals sorted out to make it “mine”. It’s a slanter with a 4 gear.
So far I’ve detailed the engine bay, added the duel-pot Offy, installed a 2.25 head pipe and UltraFlo, swapped in 3.55’s for the the 2.93’s and curved/limited the distributor. With those changes the slant woke up a bit and you can actually motor it around. I also got the stance where I like it, I’m partial to the earlier 60’s where Mopar’s sat a tad higher in the front.
What I’m surprised at is that I’ve owned 5 B-bodies (63 to 66) over the years. This is my first A-body and I am surprised at how much attention this car gets... even at the cruises. So many more people look this car over compared to the B bodies I’ve had. It seems like everyone has a story about the Dart they used to have.

83C1224F-2047-4706-AE8F-3A2F37B90FF7.jpeg

1740D94E-7EA1-458A-8E06-33DF65F5C383.jpeg

BF143CE5-0295-423A-A1D0-A2FD1861BA67.jpeg

Last edited:
I said Hi over on the welcome wagon some weeks back, I was recommend to check in here with the other 66-er’s.
This is my 66 post. I’ve always done amateur resto’s myself on all my prior cars but when this one came along at a very fair price I picked it up. It has a beautiful paint job and very good interior. It just needed a few mechanicals sorted out to make it “mine”. It’s a slanter with a 4 gear.
So far I’ve detailed the engine bay, added the duel-pot Offy, installed a 2.25 head pipe and UltraFlo, swapped in 3.55’s for the the 2.93’s and curved/limited the distributor. With those changes the slant woke up a bit and you can actually motor it around. I also got the stance where I like it, I’m partial to the earlier 60’s where Mopar’s sat a tad higher in the front.
What I’m surprised at is that I’ve owned 5 B-bodies (63 to 66) over the years. This is my first A-body and I am surprised at how much attention this car gets... even at the cruises. So many more people look this car over compared to the B bodies I’ve had. It seems like everyone has a story about the Dart they used to have.

View attachment 1715570133

View attachment 1715570134

View attachment 1715570135
That is a nice color!

View attachment 1715570133

View attachment 1715570134

View attachment 1715570135
Nice!

If you own a 66 Dart please respond to this post. There seems to be a lot of us here lately. Post your favorite photo of your car too. toolmanmike

My red 66 that I had since high school now in my daughter garage. And our current Black Dart GT in New Orleans. 273 two barrel with 3 speed on the column, no console. It was special orders by a woman in Raleigh NC. Car was sold at Brunswick Motors in Southport NC.

3ED6935C-5832-4C7C-8C05-0D22307A26B7.jpeg

26943EA3-335E-48C6-A317-389CB908C84B.jpeg

Both very nice !
Black with red interior is real sharp
Thanks for posting!

Well my grandson was lucky he caught me at a moment when I said yes. My grandson Anthony is now the proud owner of my 66 170 Dart yes I gave it to him but he must get his driver's license first.

Anthony Car 2.jpg

Anthony car 1.jpg

Finished with the floor pan on my 66 today. I had to raise the transmission tunnel a tad to clear the 727 and scattershield. I ended up raising the front about a full inch, while eliminating the pinch weld above the transmission. I just need to paint the underside, re-install the transmission, measure for a driveshaft, and bolt up the wheels and tires, and it'll be back on the ground.

upload_2020-8-23_16-35-53.png

upload_2020-8-23_16-36-20.png

upload_2020-8-23_16-36-31.png

upload_2020-8-23_16-36-40.png

OK Guys, my recent purchase. In the garage at the moment starting the restoration. Lots of work to do. In my youth I had a 66 Barracuda, 67 Dart GT, 70 Duster.

IMG_3474.jpeg

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3449.jpeg

This is where im at in a 4 year build...I took the old girl around the block for the first time and at 1/4 throttle pushed me back into the seat...I still have alot of little details to do but next spring im gonna be on the road..!!

dart110.jpg

dart111.jpg

Hey 66 Dart GT owners, what is the stock wheel, or wheel cover choices if I wanted to stay original. I have 13 inch wheels, did any models come with 14s? Pictures useful and suggested places to purchase. Thank you.

Sure, 14" wheels were an option. They made both 14 X 4 1/2" and 14 X 5 1/2" small bolt pattern wheels. You could also get either the dog dish hubcaps or full wheel covers.

Hey 66 Dart GT owners, what is the stock wheel, or wheel cover choices if I wanted to stay original. I have 13 inch wheels, did any models come with 14s? Pictures useful and suggested places to purchase. Thank you.
14X5.5's on my 66. It had a #368 "Dart Rallye Package" which included HD rear springs, HD torsion bars, Front sway bar, 6.95x14" Blue Streak Tires, and wide rims.

randalia3.jpg

-
Back