67 barracuda notchback restoration

-
I will shoot a pic of it tonight for you. Basically I just removed the spot welds from the rear valance and pulled it back. I did have to cut the replacement quarter just under the taillight so it would tuck under.

Ok yes pics are worth 1,000 words. I think when i have the panel off i may try to bump the door jamb forward a bit to close up the door gap.

Not the prettiest but maybe it will give you an idea of how I attacked it. Where the ugly grind marks are is where I cut a slit to get it to follow the taillight bucket better. Then since I had the spot welds removed for the trunk drop it allowed me to pull it away and get the quarter to tuck under it like it is supposed to.

IMG_3965.JPG

Thanks for the pix toplscuda. I plan on popping the spot welds all the way up on the valance, i am prob going to just replace the whole trunk extension. Its rotted at the front, above the drain hole. go figure. Rest is solid, but if i'm that far in, might as well replace it completely. I will need them as well for a 69 notch that i have thats been tubbed with aluminum tubs and pop rivets, i will prob buy them as a pair, and take the RH one and set it in the 69 for later use, then just buy a single LH for the 69 later on. The right side of my 67 is remarkably solid. A couple pinholes in the bottom back of the RH outer quarter, but a ton of dents all over it

BTW i pulled out of storage my original drivers door. The one with the big dent in it. I washed off a bunch of Texas red dirt, and flushed a bunch of red dirt out from inside the bottom of the door. The bottom edges are really solid on this door, but now i remembered it has 2 issues.

The big ole dent, and the hole for the drivers door mirror is torn. I rolled up the window, and using a mini sledge with the hammer end on its side i worked the dent with what little swing i could get, and got most of it out pretty smooth, and worked the oil canning out of it. I also floated out some smaller creases with a dolley and a shrinking hammer. Its also deeply creased up by the top body line, where i cannot get any swing at it. I will slowly work this part out with my weld on stud puller.

I am thinking that if i can rework this door to be useable, then i will use it. Simply because i know it does fit. I mean its the one that came off the car when i got it, plus either door is going to need a little body filler anyways. The mirror mounting issue, i will probably cut out the bad section and weld in a new section and redrill the mirror holes. I did this on the other door, as its mirror was ripped out too. I think first thing is going to be to remove the door handle, and lock along with the window sill trim, and sand the door skin to bare metal. Then i can get a better idea of the highs and lows.

I will post pix over the weekend sometime.

Last edited:
Thanks. It gets frustrating at times, especially the deal with the hinges. How they could be that far off was nuts.

I don't know how much my PO struggled with them but I know he changed them out for Scania semi door hinges...

Do they work better? Prob easier for you to get parts for them. I used junkyard find 1995 dodge ram van hinges for lowers since they use bronse bushings in them, and rebuilt those and my existing uppers. Had to machine a hole in each lower, and buy the dorman bushing and pin rebuild kits for the hinges. I took everything apart and sand blasted it, and primered it. The door does open and close very smoothly thanks to the bushings and a little aeroshell 22 grease.

20170828_135212.jpg

20170828_135220.jpg

20170901_063909.jpg

IMG_3966.JPG
Thanks for the pix toplscuda. I plan on popping the spot welds all the way up on the valance, i am prob going to just replace the whole trunk extension. Its rotted at the front, above the drain hole. go figure. Rest is solid, but if i'm that far in, might as well replace it completely. I will need them as well for a 69 notch that i have thats been tubbed with aluminum tubs and pop rivets, i will prob buy them as a pair, and take the RH one and set it in the 69 for later use, then just buy a single LH for the 69 later on. The right side of my 67 is remarkably solid. A couple pinholes in the bottom back of the RH outer quarter, but a ton of dents all over it
I have a left hand one that needs a little bit of the front edge added back to it form being sliced for slicks at one time if you are interested. I had it on mine and then ran across a great deal on a pair of AMD replacements I used instead. Here is a shot of it compared to the AMD so you can see what had been trimmed

One of the things i wanted to get was a SAAB Scania decal for my tool box at work. When we had the SAAB 340Bs they had a big circular decal with the red griffen on it on the passenger entrance door. I never got one of those, then they changed the decal to SAAB Aerospace. The last 12 of em got sold, and they are taking everything out thats worth reselling, and then cutting em up with big chop saws. What a waste and a shame. They were really good airplanes. People equate propellers with old antique airplanes i guess. Nevermind that these were state of the art turboprops. Some of which had active noise cancellation in the cabins.

I have a few friends that work for Scania. Lemme check if I can find you a sticker.

Cool beans.

I love those SAAB Scania logos. I think the ones on the 340s were about 8" in diameter. One of the coolest logos out there next to a mopar pentastar IMHO. Whats not to like. If you can get one for me thank you so much, and if you happen to not be able to get one, thank you for trying.

51NuAgtixjL._SY300_.jpg

I am going to post a few older pix from the start of my heater box restoration. The box was warped and did not fit together all the way, and was under constant tension trying to hold it clamped shut. I ended up cutting slits in the fiberglass, adding a mould release agent to one side of the tongue and groove for the case, applied a fill n sand putty, in the groove, and to the cut fringes, and clamped it together. In a day or so i popped it apart, sanded it a bit, and fiberglassed it. This now allows it to be set in place as 2 pieces and not forced into position. I still need to apply a good fill n sand primer, and a semi flat black to it.

I also made some nifty retainers for the cable ends instead of the round ine use only snap rings. These were made from #10 aircraft tool drill microstops. With a little set screw in their side they can be removed and reinstalled if you should have to pull it all apart.

images-1.jpg

images-2.jpg

20160622_071935.jpg

20160622_071755.jpg

Well i am down for awhile. Been dealing with a bulging disc in my lower back messing up my left leg since may. Got operated on yesterday to trim off the bulged part of the disc. Now i got to rest at home for 2 weeks. Cant lift anything over 5 lbs, cant drive etc. After that i can go back to work but cant lift over 10 lbs for 6 weeks after that. So november 13th if all goes well i can get back after it. I may post some more past pix of work i have done.

Well i am down for awhile. Been dealing with a bulging disc in my lower back messing up my left leg since may. Got operated on yesterday to trim off the bulged part of the disc. Now i got to rest at home for 2 weeks. Cant lift anything over 5 lbs, cant drive etc. After that i can go back to work but cant lift over 10 lbs for 6 weeks after that. So november 13th if all goes well i can get back after it. I may post some more past pix of work i have done.
Speedy recovery to you, Matt!

I am hoping so too. I am following doctors advice. And just relaxing for next 2 weeks, not lifting anything over 5 pounds watching TV, spending time with my dog Sadie Girl while everybodys at work and school and ive got the house all to myself. Its not the way i wanted to spend my vacation time this year, but at least i had the time to take and theres no lost pay. I am also taking pix and listing small parts for sale that i can easily box up.

On the mend from back surgery, and this brought a smile to my eyes. An envelope came from Anders today. Thank you Mr. Anders. You said you were going to send something cool, and you did!!!! Thank you !!!! It had a whole sheet of SAAB Scania decal stickers, and a nice factory SAAB 340 Airliner picture.

Anders the one in the pic is a SF340A model. The shiny polished prop spinners are from British made Dowty propellers. Ours were S340B models the F for Fairchild aircraft who designed and built the wings early on was dropped from the designation. Ours had Hamilton Standard props, and Hamilton Sundstrand prop reduction gearboxes. Both used a version of General Electrics CT-7 gas coupled turboshaft engine

The oldest SF340A model i worked on was serial number 010 or the 10th aircraft to leave the Linkoping Sweden factory. It was there for a 50K check and lots of exray inspections. We also had serial number 340. It had a special decal as the 340th 340 built.

I love these aircraft. They were the first ones i worked on when i stepped foot in the hangars for the airline on august 21st 1995. A salvage company purchased the remaining 12 we have in storage, and are stripping them of useful parts, and cutting them up for scrap. It hurts to drive by them every morning on my way to work only to see less and less of them there. Now i understand how these old pilots and crews during WW2 feel towards the old birds they flew and worked on when they happen to see one at an air show.

Anyhoo heres pix. They dont do it justice with the glare.

20170927_192719.jpg

20170927_192730.jpg

Last edited:
On the mend from back surgery, and this brought a smile to my eyes. An envelope came from Anders today. Thank you Mr. Anders. You said you were going to send something cool, and you did!!!! Thank you !!!! It had a whole sheet of SAAB Scania decal stickers, and a nice factory SAAB 340 Airliner picture.

Anders the one in the pic is a SF340A model. The shiny polished prop spinners are from British made Dowty propellers. Ours were S340B models the F for Fairchild aircraft who designed and built the wings early on was dropped from the designation. Ours had Hamilton Standard props, and Hamilton Sundstrand prop reduction gearboxes. Both used a version of General Electrics CT-7 gas coupled turboshaft engine

The oldest SF340A model i worked on was serial number 010 or the 10th aircraft to leave the Linkoping Sweden factory. It was there for a 50K check and lots of exray inspections. We also had serial number 340. It had a special decal as the 340th 340 built.

I love these aircraft. They were the first ones i worked on when i stepped foot in the hangars for the airline on august 21st 1995. A salvage company purchased the remaining 12 we have in storage, and are stripping them of useful parts, and cutting them up for scrap. It hurts to drive by them every morning on my way to work only to see less and less of them there. Now i understand how these old pilots and crews during WW2 feel towards the old birds they flew and worked on when they happen to see one at an air show.

Anyhoo heres pix. They dont do it justice with the glare.

View attachment 1715095363

View attachment 1715095364
Glad you liked them! Did you notice that the stickers are NOS? :) This old SAAB dude had them in a drawer. A friend of mine suspected he might have some stuff laying around, he was apparently part of the 340 team back in the day.

Cool, i didnt realize the stickers were NOS. Please tell him that the SAAB 340 is a very much loved aircraft by a Texan in the U.S.A. ? The next one they cut up, i may ask if i can have its serial number plate off the aft belly attached to a piece of its sheetmetal so i can frame it. Hopefully they havent cut up serial number 340 yet. Every one of those sitting out there has sheetmetal or composite repair work i had done to them years ago.

Theres still about a dozen of em left in Kingman Arizona in dry storage. They have fared better than the 24 or so they originally left parked at our airport.

Last edited:
The original 340 carried 34 passengers, and had no seat row 13 the placards went from row 12 to row 14. I guess superstition about a row 13 lol. Whats a shame is SAAB developed the SAAB 2000 a 45 passenger stretched version of this aircraft with 6 sickle shaped bladed props, and more powerful engines.

One 2000 built for crossair was flown over for testing by our airline it had takeoff and climb out rates similar to the new embraer regional jets, it also had cruise speeds faster than the 340 but slower than the regional jet, great fuel economy, and active noise control in the cabin to drown out the noise of the engines and porpellers.

I think SAAB was betting on a lot of airlines buying these. I think crossair ended up being their only customer buying i believe 27 of them. People here wanted real jets, and equated having propellers to old airplanes nevermind that these prop planes were actually modern, state of the art. You cant tell the flying public that. They put so much into the development into the 2000 series, but didnt sell enough of them to recoup what they spent, i think that ended their airliner aspirations.

Anders does SAAB still make the JAS Gripen fighter jet ?

There are actually quite a few turbo prop planes in operation, both here and in Europe. They beat the little jets on shorter trips b/c they accelerate quicker, don't need to climb as high and can maintain full speed much longer since the props are much better for slowing down speeds.

Yes, SAAB still makes the JAS 39 Gripen. They're in the middle of developing the E version (and the two-seated F) now, to be delivered btw 2019 and 2024 to Sweden and Brazil.

-
Back