67 cuda FB progress UPDATE

Metallic GunMetal Grey with Gloss black stripes or Flat black stripes?

• Total voters
-
I also got the original 273 engine done and ready to bolt up to the 727 3 speed. I am going to put a gear vendors overdrive unit on it sometime down the road, but for now it will be fine. I just won'r enjoy long freeway drives.
The engine is all new inside, had domed pistons made, connecting rods, etc. etc. i'm running a forged 340 crank as well. The compression is pushing 11:1 comp. dynoed at 318 H.P. I had to change a few things on the 727 transmission, so I had to tear them apart, as well as a few more changes with the engine, so it too has been striped of its ti work. I'm trying different exhaust manifolds, intake and carb. combo's. These are pictures of the engine just before it was tested. I'll tell you, for the money I spent on this engine, I could have built two 318's that put out about the same spects, but I really wanted to try and keep the original 273 as there isn't too many of these cars running them anymore. Just being different while keeping it the same. LOL!

View attachment new uploads 675.jpg

body work has been the real time taker.
This passenger side fender was smashed in almost 6 inches at the deepest point and had a sharp crease at an angle from the wheel opening all the way up to where it meets up with the hood. I can hardly believe it came out. There was a LOT of shrinking that had to be done as the metal stretched as far in as it did. you can barely feel a wrinkle in it at all now.
The door had some fairly deep creases in it as well.

View attachment 0521141554.jpg

View attachment 0517141320.jpg

So are you ready for paint? The last post about the body was 6 months ago and you were starting on the damage repair. I liked the grey and put it on mine and went with a gloss black tail stripe. It's a great color combo but sometimes I wish I'd gone with abrighter color just to give the car a little more 'pop'. The renditions you made look good

So are you ready for paint? The last post about the body was 6 months ago and you were starting on the damage repair. I liked the grey and put it on mine and went with a gloss black tail stripe. It's a great color combo but sometimes I wish I'd gone with abrighter color just to give the car a little more 'pop'. The renditions you made look good

I am so close I can almost taste it.
I am probably being way to picky with the block sanding and that is slowing me down.
As soon as I say i'm ready, I guide coat it again and find one more tiny thing to smooth out.
I'll tell ya, the body is so flat now, I could paint it high gloss black and it would be as flat as a mirror.

I forgot to show you my wheel and tire combo.
My son and I both wanted to keep the OLD SChOOL muscle car look, so we stayed with the BFG's and Craigers. I pray it does it justice.

I love the 'old school' look. Are those the new Cragar ones with the aluminum outer shells?

I am so close I can almost taste it.
I am probably being way to picky with the block sanding and that is slowing me down.
As soon as I say i'm ready, I guide coat it again and find one more tiny thing to smooth out.
I'll tell ya, the body is so flat now, I could paint it high gloss black and it would be as flat as a mirror.

A really really straight all black looks awesome on these fastbacks.

Yeah, but when they're clean they look sooooooo cool.

That they do. They also show tiny dust scratches whipped up by the wind. It's so easy to show a scratch on his truck, that he is constantly repainting sections.
Thats also part of my delay in painting my cuda. Booth time switching. He show's this truck all over the states and one little thing gets marred and out goes my car and in goes his truck. LOL!! He is the best brother, but super anal retentive on perfection.

I had my first car (a '70 Roadrunner) painted black. I lived 5 miles away from the nearest town and drove it on gravel so I know what you mean about the scratches and dirt. - But when I'd clean it up it was hard to beat for the WOW factor.

I had my first car (a '70 Roadrunner) painted black. I lived 5 miles away from the nearest town and drove it on gravel so I know what you mean about the scratches and dirt. - But when I'd clean it up it was hard to beat for the WOW factor.

your not kidding. Just having the 70 R.R is a wow factor.

nice taking to you 67. Take care. I gotta split.

Your '67 has come pretty far since you started on it. It sounds like you're getting close to the home stretch. Keep plugging away at it.

Thank you 67!
I get a lot of motivation, suggestions and help from good people on this forum.

I know what you mean. The ol' garage tends to become a mind numbing place after awhile. Without others out there to shoot the #@%& with, it can become the place you least want to be.

Some of the builds on this site will knock your socks off. I've gotten a LOT of ideas from others and found answers to many questions. And of course it's been a good source for finding parts.

The drama that comes up from time to time is sometimes painful and sometimes entertaining. Hopefully you'll (we'll) be able to avoid it.

I truly pull for all the guys that are restoring/modding/hotrodding their cars. And generally I like all of the results of their labors. There have been a few that have made me cringe when I've seen them but I think those were each mine. LOL.

-
Back