69 340 problems

-
Great to hear its running again. Shouldn't need a choke to start it though. Just a few pumps of the pedal and it should fire over. You could have fuel percolation issues after it sits for a while.

Great to hear your over that one.
I stayed out cause any advice I had was already on the table.
160+ posts, almost 3 weeks and the guys kept tryin, So, Great Effort to everybody.:salut:

Glad to hear you got it going again!! - If you decide to go electronic ignition let me know I have the whole kit here at the house - I found a good deal on an "Ignitor" setup on ebay after aquireing the mopar kit - so its extra parts now. I also have that little oil slinger dealie but I guess Im too late to help with that one -LOL

Way to go George and Co.!!!! Glad to hear you're On the Road Again!

(I will be soon as well...)

Glad to hear George! Go with pertronix and it will fit under the cap of the stock points distributor.

Great to hear its running again. Shouldn't need a choke to start it though. Just a few pumps of the pedal and it should fire over. You could have fuel percolation issues after it sits for a while.
I think that this AVS carb still has an issue with the accelerator pump. It doesn't squirt fuel until the gas pedal is almost to the floor, and I bet thats why it is hard to start.

Great to hear your over that one.
I stayed out cause any advice I had was already on the table.
160+ posts, almost 3 weeks and the guys kept tryin, So, Great Effort to everybody.:salut:
These guys are tough as nails! NOBODY gave up. Not once in the whole thread did anyone ever give up trying to get this thing to run. I just wish I could help some of you guys the way I've been helped.
Glad to hear you got it going again!! - If you decide to go electronic ignition let me know I have the whole kit here at the house - I found a good deal on an "Ignitor" setup on ebay after aquireing the mopar kit - so its extra parts now. I also have that little oil slinger dealie but I guess Im too late to help with that one -LOL
I'll keep ya in mind Bill. I want to buy it, but I just spent $400.00 trying to get to the bottom of this problem, and I need to let the funds "build up" if ya know what I mean.
When the time comes, I'll shoot a PM your way, and thanks for the offer!!!

George

Glad to hear you got her running George.I also, got mine together and went to the track today ran a 12.88. Which I was glad just to be driving it after a month of wrenchin and waiting for parts.But oh what a feeling!!!vvvrrroooomm!!Congrats.Oh ya will the kids fit in the car with your big smile!!HAHA.

Glad to hear you got her running George.I also, got mine together and went to the track today ran a 12.88. Which I was glad just to be driving it after a month of wrenchin and waiting for parts.But oh what a feeling!!!vvvrrroooomm!!Congrats.Oh ya will the kids fit in the car with your big smile!!HAHA.
Congrats on that 12 second pass! I can only dream of this car running a time like that!
I'll give it my best shot though on my next Dart!!
The kids were in the garage with us when we were trying to get it running. As I slid in the car for the thousanth time, I don't think anyone buy Gary expected it to start, so the kids just kept on playing. When it fired up, they both ran out of the garage with their hands on their ears! I was LMAO!!

George

Awesome George! It's not a vette but, quite a fun little car to drive!

Hope you get the little bugs worked out real soon. Please don't use too much of the starting fluid. : (

Awesome George! It's not a vette but, quite a fun little car to drive!

Hope you get the little bugs worked out real soon. Please don't use too much of the starting fluid. : (
If the engine is cold, it will not start without the starting fluid. Even after it starts, if I let it stall, it won't restart unless I spray it again. Once it's hot, it will start on its own.
I still think this AVS is screwed up internally, but I haven't had time to play with the car since we got it running yesterday. Too much "house stuff" to do.

I'll have to dig into the Edelbrock I bought too; it also is majorly screwed up and dumping way too much gas in the motor. Maybe a stuck float or two, but the seller said it ran good on his car. Who knows.

George

Goerge, I had a AVS that did the same thing. Bad accelerator pump, Wouldnt start with out help. Then it ran ok. Never did fix it.

This AVS has a new accelerator pump, and it works like crap too! I wonder if I raise the floats up a bit if it'll work better. The acc pump will squirt good fuel, but only when it's way down in the bore; like 1/2 pedal and beyond.

George

This AVS has a new accelerator pump, and it works like crap too! I wonder if I raise the floats up a bit if it'll work better. The acc pump will squirt good fuel, but only when it's way down in the bore; like 1/2 pedal and beyond.

Should be squirting nice and strong just off idle. Do you have slack in the linkage?

Should be squirting nice and strong just off idle. Do you have slack in the linkage?
Well I screwed around with it a bit more tonight.
The rod from the throttle linkage to the acc pump arm was bent too much. I straightened it out quite a bit, and switched to another adjustment hole, and it squirts right from idle.
Man, the engine rev's real fast now!
I also installed the choke stove again, and tweeked the linkage for the butterfly. The choke pull-off rod was bent as well, and was hanging up.
I got in the car and pumped the throttle a couple of times, and it lit right up! Man, it is starting to sound good now.
I only have 1/2 my exhaust system on the car, so I can't really fine tune it, but soon as I get the other side finished I should be able to get the bugs out of it.

Thanks again for all the help these last few weeks guys. Its been hell for me.

George

Cool, I have a Jacobs Energy ign system on my 340 that can be bypassed to the point system, should it fail or for testing...just a thought

Kim-
Gas is brand new, I filled the 5 gal gas can, then put more gas in my Ram from the same pump at the same time so I know the fuel is good. I poured the gas from the 5 gal can into the Dart, then went back and got another 5 gallons from the same pump.
The single wire from the dist is connected to the NEG post on the coil.
I will try the jumper wire from the POS battery post to the POS terminal of the coil tomorrow, kids just went to bed.

I don't think the engine is flooded. Last week I pulled a few plugs after cranking the engine over for (seemingly hours) a while, and they were dry as a bone. Thats why I thought the carb was bad.
I can do a compression check, but like I said the car ran like a top until all of a sudden, while idling in my garage, it quit.
I will check all connections at the starter relay.
All the wiring harnesses from the firewall forward are brand new except for the wiper motor wiring. My wipers don't work, but could this have any effect on the engine running? The wipers haven't worked since I put the car back together.
I wish I had a wrenchin buddy too. I'm about to pay Kim's airfare to come out here and fix this thing for me!

I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

George

I was almost right. I know this from experience.Ecstatic to hear ya got it.

I would get that gassy oil out of there right of way or you mite be in for more trouble.Just my 2 cents.

George, Glad you found it... There were a few that said ignition right off, werent there ;)? You can piece together the MP kit. you need a reman distributor (last one i got from Car Quest was $50), a set of Mr gasket light springs, a Std ignition (brand) module also at CQ, and a plug from any mopar in a bone yard. Should cost a total of under $100. If you get the parts and drive it to me, you can drive home with a new HP ignition.

The oil needs to be changed because it smells like gas. I bought it, just haven't had time. Car isn't going anywhere for a few days.

There were a few people that said ignition Moper, and one guy even specifically said to change the condenser.
I had spark, but it wasn't strong enough to lite it off.
Thanks for the offer Moper, I might take you up on it!!

Thanks again guys.
George

George, Glad you found it... There were a few that said ignition right off, werent there ;)? You can piece together the MP kit. you need a reman distributor (last one i got from Car Quest was $50), a set of Mr gasket light springs, a Std ignition (brand) module also at CQ, and a plug from any mopar in a bone yard. Should cost a total of under $100. If you get the parts and drive it to me, you can drive home with a new HP ignition.

This is what I did on my convertible,.. sage advise.

you might still wanna go in there and do a timing chain and gears to be on the safe side.

-
Back