'69 Barracuda door glass, front up stop?

-

340sFastback

Reaction score
The passengers side door glass won't go all the way up in the vent window channel. The glass goes all the way up in the rear. I have the FSM and its fuzzy at best on up stop adjustment. Note '69 has an up stop mounted on rear of glass where as '68 has slot with nut in door for up stop.

Glass contacts roof weather strip at the rear. But at the front glass won't go all the way up. I took that rubber thing off the top of vent window channel didn't make any difference. Seems to be something in door solidly keeping front of glass from going up.

PXL_20240325_164938924.jpg

PXL_20240325_164925133.jpg

PXL_20240325_164910807.jpg

PXL_20240325_164806415.jpg

The passengers side door glass won't go all the way up in the vent window channel. The glass goes all the way up in the rear. I have the FSM and its fuzzy at best on up stop adjustment. Note '69 has an up stop mounted on rear of glass where as '68 has slot with nut in door for up stop.

Glass contacts roof weather strip at the rear. But at the front glass won't go all the way up. I took that rubber thing off the top of vent window channel didn't make any difference. Seems to be something in door solidly keeping front of glass from going up.

View attachment 1716226790

View attachment 1716226791

View attachment 1716226792

View attachment 1716226793

Im thinking its a vent window frame adjustment thats needed

Post a photo of the interior of the door so someone can point out where the adjustment is. Hard to describe with just words.

I believe the up-stop should be at that slotted hole towards the top right above the front door handle hole. Looks like it's missing all together.

I believe the up-stop should be at that slotted hole towards the top right above the front door handle hole. Looks like it's missing all together.
Neither drivers or passengers doors have anything in that slot. Door glass hasn't been touched since I bought car from orig owner in 1979. I have another spare complete clean '69 door doesn't have it either. In another thread it was stated in '69 they put an up stop that mounts to rear of glass as shown here. The rear up stop does go up and contact an arm on the rear channel. Rear of glass rest up against roof weather strip correctly.

Also, this window not going all the way up issue has been there since 1979 when I bought car. Would like to correct to get rid of wind noise from glass not being all the up.

PXL_20240325_164806415.jpg

PXL_20240326_025442643.jpg

Neither drivers or passengers doors have anything in that slot. Door glass hasn't been touched since I bought car from orig owner in 1979. I have another spare complete clean '69 door doesn't have it either. In another thread it was stated in '69 they put an up stop that mounts to rear of glass as shown here. The rear up stop does go up and contact an arm on the rear channel. Rear of glass rest up against roof weather strip correctly.

Also, this window not going all the way up issue has been there since 1979 when I bought car. Would like to correct to get rid of wind noise from glass not being all the up.

View attachment 1716227051

View attachment 1716227053
Gotcha. Is where that knob hits adjustable?

The adjustment around window crank, lock nut/slotted screw, is supposed to be a down stop. I did loosen the three regulator bolts and was able to get glass to go up a smidge higher then before.

Spare '69 door. Note no up stop in inner door slot just like the two orig doors on my '69. But appears something related to regulator cause crank window to hard stop when glass up? What is that something is why I pulled spare door out.

PXL_20240327_155439443.jpg

PXL_20240327_155450869.jpg

Spare door has glass mounted plastic up stop on rear of glass just like both doors on my car

PXL_20240327_155919203.jpg

I believe the rear track, which has an arm the stop hits as glass rises, can be moved up/down slightly. But then that would throw off rear glass to roof rubber seal.

Looks like vent frame is aligned to A pillor and uniformly hitting A pillor weather strip.

View attachment 1716227029

View attachment 1716227031

In this pic, the leading edge of the glass looks off.

look at the stainless trim. It is off by about 1/8 inch in the pic.

I'm betting the vent window frame is off.

Best way I found to adjust it was to loosen up all the adjustment points and start slow, moving the frame gradually until its correct. Get some one to assist you.

BTW... This adjustment is a pain in the *** to get right so have some patience!!

Im thinking its a vent window frame adjustment thats needed
I took regulator out of spare door and confirmed the only up stop is that plastic cylinder on rear of glass. Thats the only up stop there is. Took regulator out of door on car and no affect on vent to glass up stop alignment.

Someone on '67-'69 Barracuda group on facebook told me to tilt vent window back then move vent window forward and up. I was not seeing that as a fix when I first read that suggestion or your suggestion above.

However, I believe if vent is tilted back, then moved up and forward, that will tilt rear of glass down which will delay when the button on rear of glass hits up stop arm in door. So I believe vent glass adjustment is the solution based on suggestions along with monkeying around with the doors.

Note right now gap between A pillar and vent window is uniform right now on passengers door. But on driver's door, which glass has perfect fit, it looks like vent frame is tilted back a tad, minor ununiform gap, but its not something anyone will notice at all.

I took regulator out of spare door and confirmed the only up stop is that plastic cylinder on rear of glass. Thats the only up stop there is. Took regulator out of door on car and no affect on vent to glass up stop alignment.

Someone on '67-'69 Barracuda group on facebook told me to tilt vent window back then move vent window forward and up. I was not seeing that as a fix when I first read that suggestion or your suggestion above.

However, I believe if vent is tilted back, then moved up and forward, that will tilt rear of glass down which will delay when the button on rear of glass hits up stop arm in door. So I believe vent glass adjustment is the solution based on suggestions along with monkeying around with the doors.

Note right now gap between A pillar and vent window is uniform right now on passengers door. But on driver's door, which glass has perfect fit, it looks like vent frame is tilted back a tad, minor ununiform gap, but its not something anyone will notice at all.

This is accurate!

Hand tighten the adjustment bolts so that they are tight but moveable.

Then use slight movements to adjust into place.

This will work but takes a few movements to get right.

I hope you didn't remove the rear glass LOL !!

You think this one is hard to adjust, wait until you try the rears!! LOL !!

This is accurate!

Hand tighten the adjustment bolts so that they are tight but moveable.

Then use slight movements to adjust into place.

This will work but takes a few movements to get right.

I hope you didn't remove the rear glass LOL !!

You think this one is hard to adjust, wait until you try the rears!! LOL !!
The rears I drench with WD40 then white lithium grease new cat whiskers those are aligned well and go up and down fine. So not messing with them anymore.

The passengers side 1/4 panel was hit hard when original owner had car. I think pass side door bent where it meets 1/4 panel and was damaged too. Orig owner did a lot of drinking driving and no sheet metal forward of doors is original. So at some point someone messed this passengers door glass alignment up cause its been messed up since 1979 when I bought the car.

Loosened it all up, tugged vent window around. Struggled to get it tilted back and contact A pillar seal. Got it best I could. Massive improvement.

I did confirm loosening rear track pull it up/down changes up stop some adjustment is there.

Opened door, held thin paper around seal, closed door, confirm paper is being squeezed at the various areas. Appears to be sealing.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

PXL_20240328_004231955.MP.jpg

PXL_20240328_004238608.jpg

PXL_20240328_004255925.jpg

Loosened it all up, tugged vent window around. Struggled to get it tilted back and contact A pillar seal. Got it best I could. Massive improvement.

I did confirm loosening rear track pull it up/down changes up stop some adjustment is there.

Opened door, held thin paper around seal, closed door, confirm paper is being squeezed at the various areas. Appears to be sealing.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

View attachment 1716227779

View attachment 1716227780

View attachment 1716227781
Great to hear 340fastback!

Now I have another tip for you to help seal the glass even better.

See the chrome moulding that is attached to the roof and is used to hold the roof rail rubber gasket?

If you have had that down, you will see a styrafoam gasket that fits between the stainless roof rail moulding and the roof. As it ages this gasket gets compressed flat and opens up the gap.

What I did was double up that styrafoam (there are other materials you can use to do this) . This effectively dropped the stainless roof rail moulding and subsequently the rubber gasket down another 1/8 of an inch. In my case I got a near perfect seal.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

BTW, Heres a pic of the gasket .Its the white one in the pic.

1711633227163.png

Yeah seal on roof has never been touched so I am sure its disintegrated.

Since I now have alignment fairly decent gonna move on with putting car back together from floor replace trans swap project.

-
Back