'70 Dart 392 Project; what direction?

-
Does that engine have a harness? My coils have 3 pins on them, but only two wires going to them. I don't know what the extra pin is for. Since I cut down a factory harness, I really never paid any attention to it until now. Rock auto shows the same part number for coils between non-vvt and vvt engines. I always thought the coils were the same because when doing an eagle head swap, I've always read the only parts needed were heads/rockers/pushrods, valve covers and intake. Nothing about coils.

It did come with a harness and sure enough you are right, only 2 wires. In my defense, I pulled the harness off when I was getting it out of the bed of my truck and only looked at a coil earlier. :)

Looks like pins 1 and 2 are the ones used.

1718304492162.png

It did come with a harness and sure enough you are right, only 2 wires. In my defense, I pulled the harness off when I was getting it out of the bed of my truck and only looked at a coil earlier. :)

Looks like pins 1 and 2 are the ones used.

View attachment 1716262077
There you go. Sooner or later we're going to be experts on this platform.

The coils only need a power wire and the signal wire. It's like having 8 old school canister coils. You may want to confirm their harness isn't made to be used with their smart coils.
Just got this from Holley regarding their harness. They suggested using capacitors to plug into the harness to reduce any "noise". Looks like each bank shares a power source and they have individual signal wires.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 12-29-29 199r10695.pdf.png

Just got this from Holley regarding their harness. They suggested using capacitors to plug into the harness to reduce any "noise". Looks like each bank shares a power source and they have individual signal wires.

View attachment 1716262098
I assume the other side of the capacitor is grounded. I believe the factory harness had something like this. I trashed them. It's probably less about the coils seeing noise and more about the coils creating noise. The only electronic device on my car is the ECU and I've never had any weird electrical problems. Perhaps the factory cars have electronics that may be sensitive the switching of the injectors and coils.

I assume the other side of the capacitor is grounded. I believe the factory harness had something like this.

Yep.

1718308756028.png

Bolted to the back of the cylinder head every time I have looked for them.

Last edited:
Ac lines and coolant lines are 98% done. Just need one more #10 90* for underdash and a few more hose clamps and need two radiator hoses and coolant system hardware is done.

Rest of my wiring connectors and hardware should be here by Tuesday so next week I’ll be starting on the MS wiring.

IMG_1516.jpeg

IMG_1517.jpeg

IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1518.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

Update on Connectors. The Ballenger connectors do not work for cam/crank sensors. I stopped by Oreilly's and they pulled a Standard Ignition PN of S2916 for the pigtail/connector.

Found them on Rock Auto for $5.99/piece.

Holley harness showed up today and connects perfectly to the ignition coils.

Won't have my final AC connector till end of week/next week.

Feels like that Johnny Cash song.... one piece at a time!

Mike

Alright need some input. Got my ECU mounted in the glovebox and output bundles through under the dash. Like how it turned out.

Trying to decide on where to mount my quadspark modules. Both on one side or split them one side then the other? Any potential issues with either?

Also I couldn’t resist. Bought a battery and ran a ground wire to my starter solenoid and bumped the key… got a half crank from it before I let off. Least I did that part right!

IMG_1547.jpeg

IMG_1548.jpeg

IMG_1545.jpeg

Alright need some input. Got my ECU mounted in the glovebox and output bundles through under the dash. Like how it turned out.

Trying to decide on where to mount my quadspark modules. Both on one side or split them one side then the other? Any potential issues with either?

Also I couldn’t resist. Bought a battery and ran a ground wire to my starter solenoid and bumped the key… got a half crank from it before I let off. Least I did that part right!

View attachment 1716264301

View attachment 1716264302

View attachment 1716264303
I mounted my quadsparks under the dash.

As for how to arrange them, I used my the same methodology as I did for the power. Each bank has its own power, and now each bank has its own quadspark. That way if something fails, I can quickly identify it since only have the engine is running.

More progress on the engine side. Got probably 80% of the wires ran on this side. Haven’t ran any grounds other than the sensor grounds to the one bulk head. Crank sensor connector won’t be here till Monday along with my second bulkhead and bulkhead plates. Going to run separate locations for either bulkhead. If I had to do this over again I would’ve laid out everything EARLY on in the build to have a cleaner firewall but I’m not that disappointed with how everything is going to come together.
FYI this is my first time using weatherpak style connectors and they’re freaking amazing. So much better than tradition crimp and heat shrink connectors. Going to mount each quad spark on opposite inner fenders as well since I’m about out of room under the dash with heater hoses and AC stuff.

Still have to make up the fuel injector harness, IAT sensor (need an intake tube), crank sensor, and some grounds in the engine bay as well as fans.

Got my painless wiring diagram out and have some unused fuses that should work for my needs as well.

Most the wires should be fairly well hidden under the engine covers as well.

Designating a bit of time this coming week to finish wiring. Hopefully I’m not missing too many components.

Still need to sort out radiator hoses, overflow bottle, and an air intake with IAT sensor location and obviously wire loom everything once it’s all finalized.

IMG_1561.jpeg

IMG_1567.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg

IMG_1564.jpeg

IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1562.jpeg

-
Back