707 Hell Cat, what does it mean?

-
Kind of silly to make comparisons. We are in a hobby. We are into the nostalgia, the memories of bygone days. We are into "THE WAY IT WAS". I couldn't care less about NEW high priced technology/performance. Their enjoyment will never come close to mine driving or racing the HiPo '65. :tongue9:

Yes. And do you go grocery shopping in them?

Well in one of them, for sure (the other is still being put back together).

Grocery Shopping, Parts Hauling, Daily Driving, etc.

Ever seen a 6-71 Blown 340 Duster with a Canoe strapped to the roof? With 4 people piled inside, carrying fishing rods and tackle boxes. :D

The guy running the scales at the junkyard thought I was insane when I pulled in, in the Duster and proceeded to unload 600 pounds worth of aluminum and batteries from the trunk :D (I wasn't too thrilled about doing that one, but my truck was broke down and I was going to use that scrap to buy the parts to fix the truck)

Beer Run? Everyone pile in my car, we'll fill the trunk up :D

Kind of silly to make comparisons. We are in a hobby. We are into the nostalgia, the memories of bygone days. We are into "THE WAY IT WAS". I couldn't care less about NEW high priced technology/performance. Their enjoyment will never come close to mine driving or racing the HiPo '65. :tongue9:

This right here

wrjjol.jpg

One thing's the same... just like 40 years ago, the really fast cars cost roughly twice that of the "normal" version and few can afford them.

I don't think I could afford the insurance on a 700HP, $75,000 car, never mind the car itself.

"Not even the 1968 HEMI Dart/Cuda would do that out of the box." YES it DID. i watched them in Oct 1968 in Tulsa. i even talked to Ronnie Sox standing next to his NEW 68 Cuda.

Well said HIPOVALIANT, I have both new and old technology.......I prefer the old because I am old.

Yup that's part of it too. If you are into this hobby there is a saying: IF THE RIDE IS QUIET AND SMOOTH AND THE AIR IS BLOWING COLD YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF JUST WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING!!! :poke:

You know, the Hellcat was built because we could. Mopar had the platform and the technology. Why just set around when Ford and GM are hopping up their nostalgia cars. This is a race, a competion between manufacturers. Just like it was back when the original cars hit the street. Look at the excitement it creates. And I'm sure it creates sales. tmm

You know, the Hellcat was built because we could. Mopar had the platform and the technology. Why just set around when Ford and GM are hopping up their nostalgia cars. This is a race, a competion between manufacturers. Just like it was back when the original cars hit the street. Look at the excitement it creates. And I'm sure it creates sales. tmm

Couldn't have said it any better. Some people just don't get it.

I couldn't care less about the newer cars. Over driven gears, air conditioning, moonroofs ect....
I like my old mopars for what they are and trying to mix the two is like oil and water to me.
I build my cars to reminding me of the fun and simpler world I grew up in and they do a good job of taking my thoughts and senses back to that time. Every time I turn a wrench or key it is like my time machine and makes me smile and feel like a kid again.
I refuse to give this up to be replaced with the latest and greatest safe and expensive plastic gadgets anyone has to offer today. I have no interest to even try to relate to this. I'll save that stuff for others who need a recliner and remote in their cars to enjoy them.
If you think cars weren't fast back then you didn't build them right. Make em burn more fuel they can go as fast as your reflexes can handle. The technology was available then just more mecha ical rather than digital as now.
Chrysler should have stayed in the pony car game with the Ford and GM camp. They have been trying to push cars that don't fit here for so long now. I feel their is little chance they will ever get it right again.

Maybe that's how you feel, but i'm into cars for performance and looks. I absolutely could care less about the way it was.

That said, i doubt i'll part with mine simply because of how i feel when i see an old car on the road. For example last night while driving to a work site there must have been some car meet. 4 new vettes, a new challenger, a number of new mustangs, and one chevelle that seemed so much cooler than the others.

oh and lets not forget all the ones that will get wrecked by the idiots that shouldn't even have the keys to a moped...

There will be a whole lot of these. 707hp is just enough so that, in a 4500lb car, you can go from awesome to idiot within a split second.

There are two perspectives here that won't always mix.
Those that grew up with these cars and lived through the 'era
and the younger guys who have since taken an interest.

I feel that both groups should be kept separate.
Enjoy them for what they are & try not to compare old & new.

One group knows cars. The other group does not. There are FEW exceptions.

I just realized something about this fancy new factory hot rod. ........I'm guessing......you can't show up at the local track and run it because IT HAS TO HAVE A CAGE!!!???!?!

I just realized something about this fancy new factory hot rod. ........I'm guessing......you can't show up at the local track and run it because IT HAS TO HAVE A CAGE!!!???!?!

apparently the rule book says if the car is untouched then it doesn't need a cage. now how close the techs at different tracks interpret it should be interesting. will they let a set of slicks by? who knows. could vary track to track..

here ya go...

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

The NHRA’s annual round of rule amendments to be included in the 2013 rulebook include a wide range of changes across every category in the sport, but one in particular is of rather great significance to street legal drag racers and the enthusiast community as a whole.

Recognizing the safety-inspired design and construction of today’s late model vehicles, the NHRA has actually rescinded its previous guidelines for street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49 that required the use of a roll cage or roll bar, now permitting unaltered, 2008 and later model hard top vehicles to compete as they come from the factory without the addition of said roll bar/cage. The amendment, as its phrased in the NHRA’s 2012 to 2013 amendment document states:

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

This amendment is in fact a huge boon to the enthusiast community that’s been driven away from organized racing at NHRA member tracks in the past due to the costs of making their vehicles legal to compete. Cars like the 2013 GT500 Mustang and the Corvette ZR1 are capable of surpassing the 11.50 mark right off the showroom floor. We’ve yet to conclude the exact meaning behind the wording “unaltered” in the text and whether that refers to the vehicle frame or the existence of power adders and the iike.

These racers who previously had to slow their vehicles down or not show up at a track at all are now able to compete without the modifying their expensive factory cars, and regardless of who this new rule applies to and who it doesn’t, it certainly opens some racers up to visit a race track again.

so here's my two cents...

i have nothing against the "new" muscle cars and there are a few i'd like to have like a shelby mustang or a zL1 cameo or the new "hellcat." i don't care for ANY of the new corvettes. however, who in their right mind is going to invest $75k and then drive that car like you just stole it? i have around $26k (including the cost of the car) in my restored 68 340 4 sp fastback formula s (not counting my labor) and that car will probably never be worth less than $15k. so i have no problem doing burn outs with it and power shifting at 6k with full knowledge that anything i break i can probably fix for less than 2 grand. and i kinda like how "primative" my 68 cuda is. i mean, the ONLY place you can see a car today with roll down windows is at a muscle car show or at a museum! and my 340 idles like it's going to quit running and the holley 750 sounds like it's trying to suck the hood into the manifold during a 6k shift. i painted it with acrylic laquer which has a "basic" look that NO ONE has seen for 40 years! when i drive this car i really have to drive it - the clutch is stiff, there is no power stearing, you have to really step on the non-power drum brakes. the seats are 60's vinyl, there are no bells or alarms or whistles going off for any mistakes i make. there is nothing in my 68 barracuda that says "hey don't worry about it, i'll take care of everything." driving my cuda is an exercise in personal responsibility, my cuda says: "if you screw something up, i'm probably going to kill you." and i'm ok with that. but the new cars are ok - i guess above all, i am just showing my age, and the inevitable bias of "old age." when clint eastwood in "Gran Torino" yelled - "hey you kids, get the hell off my grass.." i understood him completely.

One group knows cars. The other group does not. There are FEW exceptions.

Thankfully I'm one of those exceptions....... I wasn't alive during the muscle car hayday, I came in at the end. Learned everything I know from my childhood neighbor who was a grass roots mechanic and racer on the weekends. By the time I was old enough the muscle cars filled side yards, parts yards and could be had cheap and you could build and mod to your hearts content From junk yard parts. I was in Heaven........
I have also kept up with technology and work on any and everything with wheels. Still believe obd I & II readers are kind of like cheating. Anyone can read a code, it takes a person with skill to understand, diagnose and repair.
Computers and dyno's have their place for tuning though.

Video interviewing the engine design engineer. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msuzJGlsoY#t=505"]2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat: Almost Everything You Ever Wanted to Know - YouTube[/ame]

Old and New... Two different cars on the opposite ends of the universe.

I am interested in buying one and will be calling a few dealers to see if one can be ordered now.

I can't see todays cars being pulled out of fields and restored like our beloved 60's-70's cars.Our cars can never be replaced and there will always be some demand somewhere in the world for them.IMO none of the cars today have any personality.They all basically look the same.No chrome,no vinyl tops,no actual metal.Nothing original to really make them stand out in the crowd.Only cheap plastic badges.Can you see in the year 2040 a one owner barn find Hellcat survivor?Not a "rich guys garaged from day one museum piece because it'll be worth something one day" collector car, but like the barn find Superbird you hear about from time to time.A Graveyard Carz history in reverse on a 2011 Challenger SRT?

-
Back