'71 Supercharged Hemi Demon

-
I try, yet at the same time I can't help but think there's a bunch of people out there who could fabricate circles around me :D

Here's some of the stuff I've built over the years.

S5000141.jpg

'87 D50 Dumptruck with a 9 Foot Dumpbed (originally a 6' Shortbed truck) and Altered/Extended Wheelbase. The control arms rusted through not long after and the truck became a parts truck.

SANY0144.jpg

Custom '84 D50 Longbed (bed mounted to a custom hinged subframe/dumpbed frame), with Front & Rear Tube Bumpers, removable snow plow mounts, Altered Wheelbase (extended from 109" to 114")

And a "Before" shot to show what happened the the truck that called forth all of the modifications

frame.jpg

No new pics, Camera Battery is on the charger.

But i removed the Hood, Hinges, Driver's Side Door and cut out the Driver's Side Front Floor Pan... What was left of it anyway, all i had to do was slice the floor at the transmission tunnel and give it a yank, pulled right out of the car :wack:

As soon as I get some storage space cleared up (probably in the back of my Jeep Wagoneer) I'll Remove the Passenger Door, Trunk Lid, Glass and the Dash Frame.

Getting the car ready for the final stages of rust repair, Once the Front Subframe is finished and the new floorpans are in, I'll be dragging it outside to sandblast the whole car to bare metal. Then comes the Rollcage, Fenderwell Delete, Core Support Modifications, etc.

Fresh pics, decided to strip the car to shell before i go any further. Part way into the task.

SANY0194.jpg

SANY0196.jpg

SANY0197.jpg

Removed the Driver's Side Door, Windshield, Dash Frame, Heaterbox, Brake Pedal Assembly and started to clean out the interior of the car. My grandfather seems to think my car is a storage container and just throws whatever inside it. :wack:

Still have to replace the Torsion Bar/Transmission Crossmember (with a boxed in crossmember), start making the new floorpans, rust removal on the firewall, etc.

The heaterbox is a plain jane, no-a/c model, and it's broken too (somebody tried to fix it with duct tape). That's Ok, I have a 1970 (give or take) A/C Heaterbox to install in the car, with the matching Push Button Climate Control.

Got it in trade with a bunch of parts a few years ago. I traded a rust-free, dent free, uncut '73 Dart Sport Hood for a 70/71 A/C Heaterbox, A-Body Console (needed restored, in my '74 Duster now), A pair of A-Body Buckets (needed recovered), A '73 Dart Sport Hood with a Scoop, A box of assorted A-Body Emblems and some other stuff... My friend really needed that hood (and it was the same color as his car), so he offered me a bunch of stuff for it.

Dude seriously I hope you didn't pay anything
for that car.
I'm sure there are a lot of us on this board that
have junked cars that were in way better shape than that.
Not worth the time or money to fix it.
I live in Ohio so i know what rust is.
That is why I bought my Demon from Arizona.
I paid 1500. for it.
Good luck.

Attachments

• driverfront.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 480
man that car was rotten, and I live on the east coast of canada I know rotten when I see it, you have mad fabercation skills and are doing better then I would

good god bro. i have NEVER seen rust that bad yet alone someone motivated to fix it ! that is nothing more than pure dedication .i traded my xj cherokee for this 98% rust free duster to avoid any rust issues.i wish you all the best and i will be watching your progress for sure!

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 403
Hate to say it but that car is toast. A better starting point would save you thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours in the long run.

more pics more pics i love it! I commend your fab skills and undertaking such a task my hats off to you!

Thanks for the replies of confidence guys.

This car was part of a Package Deal. $1,500 got me :

1971 Duster (No Engine/No Transmission, in much better shape, but needs floorpans, future V10/6-Speed car)
1971 Demon
1972 340 / 833 Combo
A-Body 8-3/4" Rear (With Axleshafts and a 3.23 Open "489" Chunk)
2 extra sets of Duster Tail Lights, and a bunch of other parts.

There isn't any new pics at the moment, I stopped working on the car so I could fix my Plow Trucks. Once I get those trucks taken care of, and prepare for winter, I'll be returning to the car for more work.

Do you have to have custom pants made with an extra pocket for your nads? Dammit man.

Do you have to have custom pants made with an extra pocket for your nads? Dammit man.

You know it, it's the only way. Wrangling a pair of pistons and a crankshaft into 28W-32L jeans is no easy chore though :toothy10: Ok I'm kind of joking, but only a little bit. :mrgreen:

On a more serious note (as if that was even possible after your reply that made me blow coffee out of my nose). I'm mostly doing this project just for fun, I find it to be extremely fun and relaxing to take on a project like this. :glasses7:

Thanks for the replies of confidence guys.

This car was part of a Package Deal. $1,500 got me :

1971 Duster (No Engine/No Transmission, in much better shape, but needs floorpans, future V10/6-Speed car)
1971 Demon
1972 340 / 833 Combo
A-Body 8-3/4" Rear (With Axleshafts and a 3.23 Open "489" Chunk)
2 extra sets of Duster Tail Lights, and a bunch of other parts.

There isn't any new pics at the moment, I stopped working on the car so I could fix my Plow Trucks. Once I get those trucks taken care of, and prepare for winter, I'll be returning to the car for more work.

Holy Cow talk about the mother load!!! And people thought i was crazy for dreaming of a V10 duster....you will probably beat me to it but dam do i envy your creativeness! I thought i was the only one who like D50's i have two, one has a 318 in it fun little truck!

I compliment you on your ability to take on such a task.I remember buying a 69 Mustang 30 yrs ago (was a rust bucket,but ran great).I replaced every panel,rear frame rails,interior on the car,drove it for a year then replaced the drivetrain(from 6cyl to V8)Taking on the task was a very good learning experience for me at a young age(was 18 yrs old)I learned how to weld,do bodywork and to have some patience.When I finally got the car done and painted,my friends thought I had gone and bought another car.LOL Keep at it and look forward to your progress,unless you find a cleaner donor car.Good luck.

P.S Bag and Tag everything,makes it easier when putting back together.:D

P.S Bag and Tag everything,makes it easier when putting back together.:D[/Quote]
Excellent work, props for saving a dissapearing musclecar that most people would send to the junkyard..in a way you are making ammends for the Demon going to the junkyard :D bottom line this thread brings new light to the saying "dont crush em restore em"

Thanks for the encouraging replies, guys.

Still no updates on the Demon though, I've been working on my D50 (my backup 4x4/secondary plow truck). In the middle of installing a 273 in the lil D50

SANY0218.jpg

It may be fugly, greasy and rusty, but it runs good. Bought it from a friend for $150. Minus the Carb of course, the 800 TQ was from my own collection of parts :D

Once this beast is finished, it's back to the Demon project. Already got my other plow truck, a '92 Dakota, finished up (tune up, oil change, new shocks, rotated the tires, blah blah blah) I'll be happy to get the trucks out of the way so I can get back to my car :glasses7:

This is the first I saw this thread . I noticed the tail panel and realized who you were. I have a complete unitized front, Cleaned and Ready to install. You make the drive you can have it. It will make your project alot easier. I also have nice floors you cut them out you can have them also. I have the saws you bring the blades. also a 4 spd hump. There is a complete 1970 340 4spd shell here rust free floors and rails. As soon as they are gutted they are going to the crusher. Call me you have my number. I got alot more cars since you were here. I see you really are serious about this project by taking something this bad on. I would like to help you do this car the right way. I will give you all the rust free used sheet metal you need so you don't have to fab your parts. I know you'll buy other parts once the body is ready. Again call me Steve.

PS. Say what you want about my Duster on this thread, But please do not reveal its ET's. Thanks Steve

The unitized front is from a 74 360 car. The rails and inners are solid. The blue 1970 340 4spd Duster had a complete bucket seat interior. I took the rears and panels out and they are still here. front seats and Rally dash are still in. Door panels and rear seats are perfect front seats need covers. All 4spd stuff is in the trunk. The Smashed pink 1970 340 4spd Duster I told you about will be here Sunday . That car was Hit hard in the back but the. nose. doors and interior are perfect. Bench seat interior though . Someone stole the Heads , intake and wheels at the tow yard. In the pic below this is only light surface rust on the floor. The dark area on the left side is still blue paint as well. I also heve a red auto 340 Duster here with nice floors. The Rust free 340 4spd. Demon shell you saw that came off a rotisary is also availible to you. But I can't give it for free.

Attachments

• DSCF2971.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCF3056.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCF3054.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 214
All I can say is wow and even my parts 67 fish is in way better shape rust wise. You have your work cut out for you and it better be strong if a Hemi is going in.

This is the first I saw this thread . I noticed the tail panel and realized who you were. I have a complete unitized front, Cleaned and Ready to install. You make the drive you can have it. It will make your project alot easier. I also have nice floors you cut them out you can have them also. I have the saws you bring the blades. also a 4 spd hump. There is a complete 1970 340 4spd shell here rust free floors and rails. As soon as they are gutted they are going to the crusher. Call me you have my number. I got alot more cars since you were here. I see you really are serious about this project by taking something this bad on. I would like to help you do this car the right way. I will give you all the rust free used sheet metal you need so you don't have to fab your parts. I know you'll buy other parts once the body is ready. Again call me Steve.

PS. Say what you want about my Duster on this thread, But please do not reveal its ET's. Thanks Steve

I think I'll take you up on that offer for the Front Rails & Floors. I'll see when the boss doesn't have plans (most weekends are already "booked" for other stuff) and throw my wallet into the gas tank on the Dakota :D Friggin 5.2L Mag chugs more fuel than the 340 in my '74 :shock:

I'll definitely be getting more parts from you in the future too, like that Rallye Cluster and so forth. And The '71 Demon won't be the only thing i'll be getting parts for, I've got 7 A-Body cars total, so i'm always looking for parts :glasses7:

Your ET's are safe with me. For anyone who hasn't seen Steve's car, it is a work of beauty, sounds wicked too :D

As usual, money is tight, So I'll see what I can gather up before the trip, before I can decide what all sorts of goodies to get (you know, try to get as much stuff in one trip, without running out of gas money on the way home :eek:ops: )

The sheet metal is free the front clip was saved for the sunroof duster that I sold , You can have it. the floors I will help you cut the whole bottom off a rust free car just bring blades for the sawsall you can drill it off when you get home. Take what I am giving you and get the body done right. you can come back later to buy items . Parts must go to make room for more cars, come and get em. you can also take those yellow 71 demon quarters setting behind the big garage where you got the tail pan. Steve

I'll be in touch with you, Steve, to work out a time to get those parts when I'm feeling better.

I spent my saturday in the ER for intense pain in my right side, and after countless tests, tons of glow in the dark exposures (ct's and xrays) and whatever else they could subject me to, they found nothing wrong.

Yet, that morning, I all but blacked out just trying to shift my truck into 2WD, the pain was that bad.

Trying my best to work today, with the help of pain killers and shear determination.

-
Back