727 doesn't shift into second gear like it should

-

duster360

Reaction score
Had my 727 built recently but it doesn't shift into second gear like it should. The trans guy said he would pull it back apart, but he isn't real sure what might be the problem. The trans shifted great going into second gear and slipped into third when I took it to him for a rebuild. When I got it back when I shift manually from first to second it shifts kind of odd and third is great. It doesn't really feel like it is slipping. When I shift to second it pulls the motor down and takes about to seconds for everything to catch up and it's good from there. When it shifts to second in normal driving it shifts fine. Driving down the road, kick in the passing gear and it will down shift to second great and haul butt. Could the band be too tight?

.............did he install a shift kit............or maybe he did some modifications/ tricks.........low band may be to tight, possibly both, but not likely if 2-3 shift is good....what did he set the bands at...........kim....

Your describing 1st to 2nd shift overlap. The rear band is hanging on too long when the front band applies. As Kim asked, did he install a shift kit or do any mods himself?

Have you tried getting on it in drive to see how it shifts then? If it's the rear band is hanging on too long it won't act up in drive cause it's not applied in drive, only when you pull the shifter down into low is the rear band applied.

oldkimmer
The valve body did have a shift kit in it that I put in it over 20 years ago. Work well until the rebuild. As for the band adjustment he said he normally turns the bands in finger tight then tightens one turn with a wrench and locks it down. He did no mods to it.

Your describing 1st to 2nd shift overlap. The rear band is hanging on too long when the front band applies. As Kim asked, did he install a shift kit or do any mods himself?

Have you tried getting on it in drive to see how it shifts then? If it's the rear band is hanging on too long it won't act up in drive cause it's not applied in drive, only when you pull the shifter down into low is the rear band applied.

fishy68
Haven't just stomped while in drive at a dead stop. The shifts are pretty early after take because of the 3.91 gears. But when it is in drive and I take off and mash the gas enough to make it hold first gear a little longer than normal and then it hits second it shifts fine. I think you might be on to something about band overlap. What causes this and how can it be corrected? Could he have done something in the valvebody to cause this? He did notice it had the shiftkit but could he have put a check ball in a wrong spot to cause this?

Im not expert. But from all ive scene with adjusting bands. Is you snug them up with a short wrench. Then you BACK off 2 1/2 turns (depending on what your kick down lever is) Then you Tighten the lock nut down. There is actually a torque spec. 72 Inch lbs on the band then back off 2 1/2 turns.

Im not expert. But from all ive scene with adjusting bands. Is you snug them up with a short wrench. Then you BACK off 2 1/2 turns (depending on what your kick down lever is) Then you Tighten the lock nut down. There is actually a torque spec. 72 Inch lbs on the band then back off 2 1/2 turns.

I guess it is just too early in the morning for me too be typing. LOL. I made an error in my last post. I stated that he tightens by hand and then tightens 1 turn with wrench and locks it down, I was backwards.
He tightens by hand and backs off 1 round and locks it down. He said he has always thought that 2 rounds was too loose. I got a guy from B&M to send me some instructions for their shift kit and it said to back off 2 rounds.
I think I might need a cup of coffee to wake me up some.

I guess I would tend to think a good trans guy (not saying yours isnt) might set them more on feel then specs. Everything ive read and all the videos Ive watched are atleast 2 turns. That band can be adjusted with out removing the trans from the car or removing the pan for that matter. SInce the adjustment is on the oudside of the case. Mark the bolt (one with square head) loosen the lock nut. Back it off 1 turn and tighten down the lock nut. If it improves you know the problem. It not well you still have problems the builder may need to address.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z166OBLOVAQ&feature=player_embedded"]Part 18. Front Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

This video will show you the adjustment. It isnt hard. But trying it you might not have to remove the trans and take it in.

He tightens by hand and backs off 1 round and locks it down. He said he has always thought that 2 rounds was too loose.

Great, a transmission guy that won’t use a torque wrench.

I would take the car back, tell him to inspect the band adjustments using a torque wrench and Chrysler’s recommended procedure just for ***** & giggles.

I may try to adjust the band, but after seeing the post fishy68 made about band overlap, I think that might be the issue. When it shifts itself, all is fine. But when I manually shift it into second the car will nose dive and bog.

Also keep in mind that every time it shifts with that overlap the trans has both bands applied for a moment till the rear band lets go all the way. (kinda hard on bands)
I'd bet money that adjusting the rear band right will take care of that, since it works great in drive.

............U need 2 loosen the rear band, thats whats hanging up.......but adj both if that is how he set them....if u dont have a tork wrench...turn them in till snug with short wrench, then back off rear band 2 turns.......front is dictated by the lever ratio, if unknown 2.25 turns..........kim.......also, take 2 ur trans guy so he gets educated...............

Thanks for the links 72scamptramp. i am on my cell phone right now but i will watch them when i get home.

If both bands were adjusted to tight, I wonder if it would cause the the second gear band to grab before the low band can release. It just feels like the low band is not releasing fast enough.

kimmer is right going by the way he told you he adjusted the bands its safe to assume he did both that way. Unfortunatly the rear band cant be adjusted with out the pan and valve body out.

.........U dont need to take out the vb.........just take off the pan....its right there staring u in the face.........like i said take it back to ur tranny guy, he needs the experiance......kim.....

again your right. I better shut up with my bad information lol. Sorry kimmer I got one of these apart on my bench right now and for some reason I thought the VB went over the servos.

Duster360 if the rear band is adjusted too tight, which it sounds like it is, that'll cause the overlap I mentioned. Band adjustment is the first thing I'd try and do it right away before driving it any more. I've never heard of someone only backing off the bands 1 turn. That's way too tight.

Ok. It looks like everyone posting here agrees that most likely both bands are adjusted too tight. I will drop the pan and adjust the rear band also. I will do this sometime this week. I will post the results when I get this done. THanks everyone.

I may try to adjust the band, but after seeing the post fishy68 made about band overlap, I think that might be the issue. When it shifts itself, all is fine. But when I manually shift it into second the car will nose dive and bog.
that is CRAZY! my 727 does the EXACT same thing.in drive its shifts great .manually from 1st into 2nd,it bogs down the engine down and acts like it doesnt want to go into 2nd .and then 2nd to 3rd it is fine.wow and i thought i was losing my mind lol. i just got the tranny and motor,and i know nothing about anything being done to the transmission.im glad to find out more info thanks !

that is CRAZY! my 727 does the EXACT same thing.in drive its shifts great .manually from 1st into 2nd,it bogs down the engine down and acts like it doesnt want to go into 2nd .and then 2nd to 3rd it is fine.wow and i thought i was losing my mind lol. i just got the tranny and motor,and i know nothing about anything being done to the transmission.im glad to find out more info thanks !

Hey 73AbodEE. If you should get yours adjusted before I do, please post the results here.

Front band adjustment:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z166OBLOVAQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]Part 18. Front Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

Rear band adjustment is same idea, just check its adjustment specifacations:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aci45eVwGJY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]Part 17. Front & Rear Band Strut Assembly with Rear Band Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back