727 doesn't shift into second gear like it should

-
Hey 73AbodEE. If you should get yours adjusted before I do, please post the results here.
im going to run it until the weekend and then i am going to pull the pan and attempt to adjust it and see what happens.if you get to yours before then post your results and i will do the same. it looks fairly straight forward

Ok. I watched the videos and that looks easy enough. I want to do this right, so I went to Sears and bought an inch pound torque wrench a few minutes ago. I will be doing the adjustment for sure this week now. By the way, Sears is having a big sale on their craftsman 25-150 in/lb torque wrenches right now.

Ok. I watched the videos and that looks easy enough. I want to do this right, so I went to Sears and bought an inch pound torque wrench a few minutes ago. I will be doing the adjustment for sure this week now. By the way, Sears is having a big sale on their craftsman 25-150 in/lb torque wrenches right now.
how much you give for it ?

Tax and all it was $54 and some change. Go to the sears.com website and it is listed there with the sale price.

I watched the video and he says to back the front band off 2 turns after you've torqued it to 72 inch lbs. That only applies if the front band apply lever ratio is 5.0, if it's less than 5.0 you need to back it off more. 3.8 and 4.2 ratio levers get backed off 2-1/4 turns, 3.2 ratio or less gets backed off 2-1/2 turns. The ratio is stamped on the band apply lever. It's best to verify what lever you have but if you can't find a # back it off 2-1/4 turns. This only applies to the front band. The rear band always gets backed off 2 turns.

im going to run it until the weekend and then i am going to pull the pan and attempt to adjust it and see what happens.if you get to yours before then post your results and i will do the same. it looks fairly straight forward

Try the band adjustment first and see if it helps but just so you know, the band adjustment is not the only thing that can cause shift overlap. And it's only the rear band that causes 1-2 shift overlap. If your 2-3 shift is good you probably don't need to worry about adjusting the front band.

Duster 360:
I want to do this right, so I went to Sears and bought an inch pound torque wrench a few minutes ago.

Good show old bean!

I watched the video and he says to back the front band off 2 turns after you've torqued it to 72 inch lbs. That only applies if the front band apply lever ratio is 5.0, if it's less than 5.0 you need to back it off more. 3.8 and 4.2 ratio levers get backed off 2-1/4 turns, 3.2 ratio or less gets backed off 2-1/2 turns. The ratio is stamped on the band apply lever. It's best to verify what lever you have but if you can't find a # back it off 2-1/4 turns. This only applies to the front band. The rear band always gets backed off 2 turns.

Remember this video rebuild is a modified A 727 being built, you have to check for correct adjustment for your application. Also A-904 has almost identical guts, just smaller bits & pieces for you out there wondering.

Try the band adjustment first and see if it helps but just so you know, the band adjustment is not the only thing that can cause shift overlap. And it's only the rear band that causes 1-2 shift overlap. If your 2-3 shift is good you probably don't need to worry about adjusting the front band.
sounds good . i am only going to adjust the rear band.and i dont know what lever ratio i have so i am going with 2 1/4 turns. i hope this will help out. what else could cause shift overlap? i do everything else including building my own engines,but i am automatic tranny ignorant,other than identifying them. im also having issues getting my kickdown dialed in.could this cause the 1-2 shift overlap , or contribute ? and thank you for your tips and help!

.........ur kd raises or lowers throttle pressure for its intended purpose.....so no.......ofcourse ur tranny guy could of raised ur line pressure........kim.........

sounds good . i am only going to adjust the rear band.and i dont know what lever ratio i have so i am going with 2 1/4 turns. i hope this will help out. what else could cause shift overlap? i do everything else including building my own engines,but i am automatic tranny ignorant,other than identifying them. im also having issues getting my kickdown dialed in.could this cause the 1-2 shift overlap , or contribute ? and thank you for your tips and help!

I dont think the rear band has a ratio lever. The front kick down has the ratio lever. May as well adjust both to correct specs just so your sure on both.

I dont think the rear band has a ratio lever. The front kick down has the ratio lever. May as well adjust both to correct specs just so your sure on both.
my bad lol i just re-read what i posted and it didnt make any sense.what i meant to say was that since i dont my ratio i wasnt going to mess with the front and only adjust the rear. but yes you are right and i will just do both while im at it. thanks for the correction!

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. It has been a week or so since I started it. I got the car up on stands today and got the pan drained. Did some exhaust tweeking while I was under there. Thought I would just let the valvebody drip into the pan overnight so it won't be dripping all over me while I am working on it. I am going to adjust both bands tomorrow and I will post the results here when I get it road tested.

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. It has been a week or so since I started it. I got the car up on stands today and got the pan drained. Did some exhaust tweeking while I was under there. Thought I would just let the valvebody drip into the pan overnight so it won't be dripping all over me while I am working on it. I am going to adjust both bands tomorrow and I will post the results here when I get it road tested.
cool ,good to know,i havent gotten under mine yet,with the xmas and stuff going on. i will get to it this weekend,but i am really antisipating your results !

Same here on the family stuff. Got to get it done early tomorrow 'cause I have to put a water pump on my truck also.

And like Kim said, there are about 4 different ratios made for the front, that affects turns needed; ratio stamped on.

Ok people, here is the update on the band adjustments. I checked the rear band and he had it adjusted around 2 turns. I torqued it to 72 in/lbs and backed it off to 2 turns. Went to adjust the front band and it was set like he said, backed off 1 turn. I torqued it also and backed it out 2 1/2 turns. No difference. It still has the sluggish manual shift into second gear. The only other place I figure it could be would be in the valvebody. Anyone have any other thoughts before I pull the valvebody?

damn that sucks lol hopefully you have a tranny pan with a drainplug,that could get expensive lol

To be honest with you I forgot to look. The transmission is a '70 model. And it is still behind the 340 it came from the factory with. If that might help with a guess at the ratio. I had 2 1/2 turns stuck in my head and that is what I ended up doing. I could probably go back and tighten up the front band a 1/4 turn if the ratio calls for it but I don't think it would make a difference as far as the 1-2 shift. Next time I take the pan off I will be a little more aware of what I am doing and check the ratio to be sure I have the exact adjustment. But even going from the 1 turn out to the 2 1/2 turns out still made no difference.

-
Back