727 no 3rd wont shift

-

jimwwood

Reaction score
installed a suposedly built 727 in my 74 dart sport and it will go into drive no slipping start off in 1st gear. I can pretty much red line it and it wont shift into 2nd untill i manually do it (whitch is kinda fun) after im through 2nd i manully put it back in drive and it stays in second.

Ive read the forums and cant find this problem. Ive tried adjusting the kickdown rods but i realy dont know what im doing, nothing i do seams to have an effect or improve i slightly

your carb has got to have the mopar linage on it. adjust the kd rod so that front piece just fits on the carb stud, at the back of the slot. install the spring that holds it forward. go for a ride, if it doesn't shift the was you like it adjust the rod by the the front piece to make it longer. go for a ride and see how you like it. if not do it again until you're happy.

It could be a throttle pressure linkage (kickdown as everyone calls it) issue but generally that won't cause it to not shift at all. To make it shift earlier you want to shorten one of the rods so it's not pushing so much under hard throttle. If the linkage adjustment doesn't help it is a governor/valve body issue. What year trans is it? I ask because a buddy of mine bought a 90 Ram with a 727 that wasn't working right and I found that who ever rebuilt it clocked the rear output shaft support wrong and it was doing just what yours is doing. Earlier 727's only had 4 bolts and they were staggered so it only went on one way. The later ones used a 6 bolt support and the bolts are evenly spaced so if you don't watch closely you can install it wrong. If you do clock it wrong it blocks off the governor ports and makes it not shift right.

One last question. Does it start out in 1st gear when the shifter is in drive or do you have to pull it down into low for it to start in 1st?

when i start off in drive it is in first when i put it in low it doesnt move.
shift linkage is in right ,it wont start in gear or low only park and nutral.

the tranny is out of a 72 duster

took it out for i drive and the tranny works good the kick down works it kicks down into 1st when i gun it
No third, i can take it up to 6 grand it wont go into third,i have a mis matched dipstick would if it was low on fluid would it do that?

I wouldn't think it'd work right in any gear if it was low on fluid but stranger things have happened. Get the dipstick/fluid level remedied and see what happens.

So you say that when you pull the shifter down in manual low it does nothing? Like it's in neutral?

Does reverse work?

...........If the vb has been apart the sleeve on the throttle pressure rod could be on backwards.......disconnect the linkage on the outside of the trans, tie it all the way foreward.......if it shifts u found ur problem...............kim........

Could be front drum bushings bad,pump support sealing rings,blown piston seal or just plain toasted front clutches which can be a result of all of the above.

Regardless. Troubleshooting steps begin with: Remove transmission... remove pump... remove input shaft/front drum.

No 3rd is classic symptom of front clutch pack failure.

That's true but also remember that the front clutch is operative in reverse so if it doesn't work you also loose reverse. He hasn't answered my question of "does it have reverse" so until he does we can't say positively it's the front clutch pack.

i had an a similar issue with a full manual valve body where i had everything but 3rd gear...problem ended up being a metal shaving that wedged the 2-3 shift valve... i'm no expert on kickdown linkage as i throw mine in the garbage and put a manual valve body in every mopar i own to avoid it. but the above poster is right, if u have reverse, you should have drive. so i'd lean toward a new/cleaning of the valve body.

my reverse is solid. I could pull a barn down!

That's good cause that means the front clutch pack is good and it's probably just a valve body problem. I'd check the throttle pressure valve sleeve Oldkimmer mentioned. It's real easy to install backwards if you don't watch what your doing. If it's installed correctly look into the 2-3 shift valve Johnny mentioned. It actually wouldn't hurt to take all the valves out and clean everything. Doesn't take much to jam a valve.

ok guys,sorry its taken so long, got the valve body out ,it was a little mucky not to bad, it seems to me that there ar parts missing,how many check balls are there supposed to be?

Is there an exploded veiw of one i can veiw?

hears some pics

Attachments

• 07082011119.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,834
  • 07082011118.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,768
  • 07082011117.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,873
  • 07082011116.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,764
.............The only time i've seen all that stuff eliminated is when the vb was changed to a reverse manual from a old Direct Connection kit.........3rd and 1st are swapped around..........the seperator plate does not look factory...............kim.........

ya i see them what do i do next to make it work

Attachments

• 07102011123.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,920
-
Back