727 no 3rd wont shift

-
my best guess is you have an old direct connection reverse manual shift vb with some valves missing. let me check a bit further but the 1-2 shift governor plug is missing and needs to be there. it's the 3rd valve hole from the left in the bottom pic of the 1st bunch you posted. opposite of this valve there needs to be a 1/4"x2 1/2" rod for 71-76 vb's or a 1/4"x2 9/16" rod. on '69-'76 vb's the high pressure relief valve ball and spring need to be there. that's the hole/chanel in the valve body on the lower left. 2nd from bottom pic of the valve body.
you don't have a kick down linkage hooked up do you? if that gov. plug and rod is put in it looks like it will work as a reverse manual vb.

i do have a kick down linkage hooked up to it,i went through a whole bunch of crap to get it to,but thats a whole other story.im gonna do a little reserch of what a reverse manual valve body is,does that mean that it will never shift on its own?

I have that rod by the way maybee it didnt show in the pick

I wish that there was a way i could see a schematic of how it is supposed to be. Or is it somthing that old rodders did on there own. Like a low budget mod.

i did a little reserch and it makes sense that what bob shingler is saying, i have a floor shifter annd i start off in drive in i have first,wont shift i manually put it in second no problems there,and i never tried to put it into 1st manually at 40 mph(for obvious reasons)but i cant help but wonder if i did it would have shifted into 3rd,damn iwish i had of tried that.

One question,on a reverse manual vb what happens when u try to start off in low gear position?
Mine wanted to move very little and i could rev motor freely.

If this is what the problem is the whole time,i will feel like a very green idiot!

bwahahahahahaha! Thats awesome! Hey at least you dont have to pull the trans right?

i did a little reserch and it makes sense that what bob shingler is saying, i have a floor shifter annd i start off in drive in i have first,wont shift i manually put it in second no problems there,and i never tried to put it into 1st manually at 40 mph(for obvious reasons)but i cant help but wonder if i did it would have shifted into 3rd,damn iwish i had of tried that.

One question,on a reverse manual vb what happens when u try to start off in low gear position?
Mine wanted to move very little and i could rev motor freely.

Jim if it were a manual reverse conversion that's exactly how it'd act because in the normal low position it would actually be in high gear. It would rev up and not move easy. Sounds like Kim and Bob have identified the issue.

If this is what the problem is the whole time,i will feel like a very green idiot!

Don't feel too bad Jim. I've been rebuilding torqueflites for nearly 30 yrs. and have never ran accross the manual reverse mod mentioned. I've seen aftermarket manual reverse valve bodies but didn't know they ever did it to a stock valve body. Good thing we have a couple members here that know that stuff.

i think im almost at the piont im gonna put it back together the way it was and shift into 1 st at 40 mph,if it goes back into low........god help me

Dude, just run it on jackstands!! Be forewarned though, you'll think it's not making the 1/2 shift because it's freewheeling in 1st, you won't feel it on jackstands. Just hit 3rd (used to be 1st) and the wheel speed should pick up.

I've done a few of those conversions but the transfer plate is no longer available. It was spelled out in the old Direct Connection race manuals.

the race manuals can still be had off e-bay. it' in the chassis manual. DON'T PUT IT BACK IN FIRST AT 40MPH, you might screw your motor. try it below 15mph. the valve and rod is in the 2nd pic to the right of the spring which shouldn't be put back in. there is suspose to be a 3" blocker rod put in the accummalator bore before you put the piston back in.

............The rmvb will not downshift to 1st at 40 mph, as it does not apply the rear band.....only time the rear band is applied is in reverse...kim.............

no doubt, this is not somthing that i want,sounds like a full race type vb...

Im looken for somthing i can drive and eat a burger.

Thanks for all ur help iwould have had no idea what my problem was.

Thanks again

no doubt, this is not somthing that i want,sounds like a full race type vb...

Im looken for somthing i can drive and eat a burger.

Thanks for all ur help iwould have had no idea what my problem was.

Thanks again

EAT A BURGER IN YOUR CAR!??!!?? BLASPHEMER!!! lol

Get a stock or upgraded automatic shift valve body from any of the trans companies. A&A, TranzAct, CRT, Turbo Action, TCI or the like. They aren't expensive and you'll be able to eat a burger in you car you sicko. lol

lol. i didnt build this one for shows,just to drive,lotsa gravel where i live.

-
Back