727 transmissions are so complex

-
I think one of the tricks to taking it apart quickly and I'm not recommending this as I'm sure it's not in any shop manual and probably people will chime in and say it will do damage but instead of trying to use some crazy puller to pull the pump off once you have the valve body off just stick of screwdriver through from behind and whack it out of there.

I have a stubborn 727 in my 72 Duster that will not shift into 3rd gear. I had a TCI manual valve body put in it and have had it built by what was supposed to one of the best shops in the area. With the car on jack stands, I can go through all the gears and feel positive feedback at all the positions on the indicator. However, soon as I get the car on the ground and drive it, it will not shift into 3rd. Any thoughts? It’s going back to the shop this Friday when I’m off. Thanks!!
And to the original poster this is exactly why you rebuild it yourself! You'll know exactly what's wrong with your transmission when you rebuild it. They're so utterly simple I can't even understand why you can have one rebuilt at a shop and it not be perfect? When I rebuilt mine for the first time I couldn't even understand how to put it together wrong...

I have a stubborn 727 in my 72 Duster that will not shift into 3rd gear. I had a TCI manual valve body put in it and have had it built by what was supposed to one of the best shops in the area. With the car on jack stands, I can go through all the gears and feel positive feedback at all the positions on the indicator. However, soon as I get the car on the ground and drive it, it will not shift into 3rd. Any thoughts? It’s going back to the shop this Friday when I’m off. Thanks!!
you paid for the best shop I would never even have jacked it up on jack stands to check anything. You pay that kind of money you just drive it back in there and say something ain't working right. Not for you to figure out that's what you paid for them for.

To pull the pump out just get two long *** bolts or threaded rod (put some nuts and big washers on) slide the biggest1/2" drive sockets you have over the bolts/rods....thread 'em into the pump housing and instant slide hammer pump pullers. Simple.

I'm not sure if the B&M kits are exactly the same as they were 30+ years ago, but I rebuilt a 727 for my '70 Road Runner in my parent's basement when I was a kid, with zero experience regarding transmissions. Their instructions were so good, you couldn't screw up. It turned out great. B&M Transkits 10229

Last edited:
I had my 727 done by TSR Racing (Carl Munroe's sons ). the most straight up guys on the planet . I had a problem with the shift linkage which had nothing to do with their work . Craig Munroe took my car to his home and fixed my linkage on his own time . Picked up car last Saturday . PERFECT Granted, the build wasn't cheap but it will take anything I can throw at it . Convertor : don't go too high a stall if you drive it on the street a lot . You won't like the way it behaves on the highway .

I'm not sure if the B&M kits are exactly the same as they were 30+ years ago, but I rebuilt a 727 for my '70 Road Runner in my parent's basement when I was a kid, with zero experience regarding transmissions. Their instructions were so good, you couldn't screw up. I turned out great. B&M Transkits 10229
Do you happen to have a picture of that setup?

Sorry I meant to quote the other post.

"To pull the pump out just get two long *** bolts or threaded rod (put some nuts and big washers on) slide the biggest1/2" drive sockets you have over the bolts/rods....thread 'em into the pump housing and instant slide hammer pump pullers. Simple."

So easy, even a cave man can do it!

GeicoCaveman.jpg

No...seriously, I'd NEVER even see the insides before and these guys got me through it.
And it works PERFECT now....So happy I did it my self!

Jeff

I want to add - Honest to God, the hardest part is removing and re-installing the transmission....

Jeff

So easy a caveman can do it lol.
I have ordered my rebuild kits from Ebay. I get the Kolene steels and Red alto frictions kit.

I was 16 when I built my first tourqeflite. I have rebuilt trans from many makes since then and I can tell you the 904 and 727 are by far the easiest to rebuild. The most time consuming part is cleaning everything to prep it for assembly.
Grab a book and read up then dive in.

If you still have a functioning governor, I would check the hydraulic pressure in that circuit.
If that is not being used or, it checks out per specs, then;
I highly recommend an Air pressure test to prove the issue is in the high-drum or not. If the high drum is OK then it has to be the VB. Since you don't mention that it trys to go in, I would go to the manual valve. Then the 2-3 shift valve. After that go look for a missing check-ball,lol

Last edited:
I want to add - Honest to God, the hardest part is removing and re-installing the transmission....

Jeff
good Lord I have a big laugh when people say they took the transmission out and handed it to somebody to do the easy work and paid someone crazy amount and then have to take it and put it back in themselves and then when things don't go right the transmission shop claims they didn't install it correctly LOL

I think about paying somebody to take out and reinstall my transmission but I certainly wouldn't give him the easy work and let them rebuild it.

Here's a link to my rebuild earlier this year. ...
Yes I had some setbacks and at one point I wanted to shoot it...lol.
Worth every bit of it...

Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

When yer done, adjusting the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown) is critical. ..a lot of drive, adjust, drive more, adjust more...it's all the difference in the world.

Jeff

Here's a link to my rebuild earlier this year. ...
Yes I had some setbacks and at one point I wanted to shoot it...lol.
Worth every bit of it...

Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

When yer done, adjusting the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown) is critical. ..a lot of drive, adjust, drive more, adjust more...it's all the difference in the world.

Jeff
and in the end when you have a problem you almost always know exactly what it is after that?

I thought it was kind of cool bench testing it with air. and now it's almost like you can imagine the whole thing exactly how it works when it's working.

and in the end when you have a problem you almost always know exactly what it is after that?
Absolutely! It's not nearly the mystery it used to be. I'm not a 727 guru - but I understand it very well now on a basic level.

And I saved a ton of money and I'm very proud to say "I did it myself"!

Jeff

-
Back