73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Okay since I have got more than a few P.M's asking what's going on with the Thread being closed, the sale of the car and the move South I decided to re-open the thread and address some questions.

1) Without going into detail, I endeded up backing out of the Job in Florida.

2) Since I'm not moving there no need to sell the car, actually a few people commmited to buying it and then decided not to come get it...that would have sucked to sell it and then not move. So Yes, I still have the car !

3) I closed the thread since I thought I had the car sold and didn't want to be asked several times over the next several months what's going on with the build progress by people that didn't realize it was sold.

We could all make up cool stories like the following.

I teach high school and Osama Bin Laden was taken out over my spring break. When I came back to school my students asked me what I did over spring break. I said, "Osama Bin Laden was killed over spring break. I had the week off, coincidence? I think not."

Another time I told my class that my brother was in the Navy and that he was severely injured in an accident, when they asked how, I said, "Well let's put it this way, if his mission had been successful Bin Laden wouldn't have gotten away." They believed that one. About 30 seconds later I told the truth, that my brother had been injured in a pleasure boating accident after drinking. Had a good story AND an anti drug/alcohol story all in one.

My students thought it was funny. I guess you had to be there. Alright, I'm that dorky teacher you had in high school who made stupid jokes.

Anyways, hope your deployment goes well. Hopefully you're not trapped in that undisclosed location with Dick Cheney, and if you are DON'T go hunting with him. ;)

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Okay since I have got more than a few P.M's asking what's going on with the Thread being closed, the sale of the car and the move South I decided to re-open the thread and address some questions.

1) Without going into detail, I endeded up backing out of the Job in Florida.

2) Since I'm not moving there no need to sell the car, actually a few people commmited to buying it and then decided not to come get it...that would have sucked to sell it and then not move. So Yes, I still have the car !

3) I closed the thread since I thought I had the car sold and didn't want to be asked several times over the next several months what's going on with the build progress by people that didn't realize it was sold.

Oh and Yes, I'm deployed so there will be no progress pics for a long time.....and it's Friggin Hot here !!!!

Glad you made it there (undisclosed) A-OK

Stay safe over there (somewhere)! I'm sure I speak for everyone following your build, that we are glad we will get to continue to do so!

Howdy Ross. Glad to hear your safe.I am looking forward to seeing you getting back to work on your car when you come home. I was seriously thinking of painting my truck with your paint scheme as a tribute to you. It will be good to see it where it belongs. Stay safe over there. Come home soon and get back to work. Prayers to you.:coffee2:

Howdy Ross. Glad to hear your safe.I am looking forward to seeing you getting back to work on your car when you come home. I was seriously thinking of painting my truck with your paint scheme as a tribute to you. It will be good to see it where it belongs. Stay safe over there. Come home soon and get back to work. Prayers to you.:coffee2:

Thanks Thunder....I appreciate that.

"Location: N.E. Ohio" needs to be changed to "Location: Undisclosed" or the approximate Longitude and Latitude if it can be disclosed.

Good luck, come home safe, may everything work out in your favor.

"Location: N.E. Ohio" needs to be changed to "Location: Undisclosed" or the approximate Longitude and Latitude if it can be disclosed.

Good luck, come home safe, may everything work out in your favor.

Thats Funny, I think I will.....The bad part is that 20 minutes after our initial briefing covering locations, routes, date's and time's one or two of our deployers posted it all on facebook, so the next briefing the commander unleashed hell on all of us for it so, I'm just covering my ***.

gotta love how people forget about opsec when posting on fb..smdh

Thank you, someone finally gets it, I'm not trying to be all Spec Ops squirell here but somethings don't need to pasted all over the internet, actually more people view this thread than my facebook page.

...I think more people "get it" here than on FB though...FB might as well be nicknamed loose lips.

...I think more people "get it" here than on FB though...FB might as well be nicknamed loose lips.

That's true..looks like I'll be meeting up with some of your old Dyess boys in a couple months when they swap out planes.

Yup! I hope their compliment is fair...last time I went with, we had some overbearing leadership...but it goes with the territory.

Thank you, someone finally gets it, I'm not trying to be all Spec Ops here but somethings don't need to pasted all over the internet, actually more people view this thread than my facebook page.

we had the same issue with soldiers using social media last year in Kandahar..by the way, I hate that place..be safe and stay focused..

we had the same issue with soldiers using social media last year in Kandahar..by the way, I hate that place..be safe and stay focused..

A good friend of mine was attached to 3rd ACR during Desert Shield / Desert Storm. Op sec was so good he did not know exactly where he was until he looked at a map when he returned to the US afterwards. I was in a reserve unit attached to the 3rd but we did not deploy. Him and his crew were quite happy to know my unit was staying stateside. Our unit specialized in handling mass casualty situations. The one time he called me from over there he did not tell me where he was and I did not ask. Why people don't take that stuff seriously any more is beyond me.

A good friend of mine was attached to 3rd ACR during Desert Shield / Desert Storm. Op sec was so good he did not know exactly where he was until he looked at a map when he returned to the US afterwards. I was in a reserve unit attached to the 3rd but we did not deploy. Him and his crew were quite happy to know my unit was staying stateside. Our unit specialized in handling mass casualty situations. The one time he called me from over there he did not tell me where he was and I did not ask. Why people don't take that stuff seriously any more is beyond me.

I agree, I've been doing this for too long to not take it seriously, I guess according to Joe Dokes at the top of the page I'm just making up cool stories.

I agree, I've been doing this for too long to not take it seriously, I guess according to Joe Dokes at the top of the page I'm just making up cool stories.

Cool stories. I have heard a few. I was in the Army Reserves (1986-1992) and fortunately was never activated. Would have been OK with it, just never happened. Anyway, my college roommate was in the 12th Special Forces Group. Their unit was housed in the same building as my unit. Publicly those guys are a very quiet and modest lot. Nicest guys you would ever meet. Most folks knew we were both somehow associated with the military. I was a mechanic. When people asked us what we did I would tell them I was a mechanic, my room mate would say he was a cook. People don't press an army cook for details on what he does or ask other job related questions. This "cook" just happened to speak six languages fluently and was airborne qualified.

But add a few beers and the good natured ribbing begins. These guys were kind of crazy and I heard some pretty interesting stories. The 12th group was a reserve unit, but most of these guys had been active duty and collectively had been in every conflict since the late 60's. One of the guys I used to work out with at the gym and generally spend time with was the best friend of my room mate, he was one of the guys who went into Afghanistan in 2001. I found that out when I read a book entitled "Horse Soldiers" and the author mentioned him and talked about some of his work over there.

One thing I liked about these guys is that they did not care what my job was, and did not look down on support guys like some of the gung ho infantry guys do. If I was part of the team then that is all they needed to know. All of us are part of one big operation that all has to work together for the job to get done.

Stay safe my friend. Work hard. Come home. And then you can tell some stories!

Why people don't take that stuff seriously any more is beyond me.

For some reason, many people subscribe to the belief that nothing is sacred secret or sensitive anymore. I can't count how many times I briefed people to turn off their stupid electronic devices and locator services when we were deployed. Yes, it was pretty common knowledge where we were (the media broadcast it more than once), but that never changed the need to just be anonymous and do what we went there to do...between that and nosy busy-body spouses, you could almost pin people down to the min/sec lat/long.

I've never had the fortune of meeting any legit spec ops dudes, but a couple of my aircrew friends have...and they loved having them aboard their aircraft. Allegedly some of the easiest folks to get along with until about an hour before drop--then they were all business.

For some reason, many people subscribe to the belief that nothing is sacred secret or sensitive anymore. I can't count how many times I briefed people to turn off their stupid electronic devices and locator services when we were deployed. Yes, it was pretty common knowledge where we were (the media broadcast it more than once), but that never changed the need to just be anonymous and do what we went there to do...between that and nosy busy-body spouses, you could almost pin people down to the min/sec lat/long.

I've never had the fortune of meeting any legit spec ops dudes, but a couple of my aircrew friends have...and they loved having them aboard their aircraft. Allegedly some of the easiest folks to get along with until about an hour before drop--then they were all business.

I has the pleasure of working for the 1st SOW (Special Operations Wing) at Hurlburt Field, Fl a few years ago, great bunch of guys, they got me some seat time on a Huey as a door gunner during a live fire run ... That was one of the highlights of my career so far.

-
Back