73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
I decided to cut a mock up of a dual exhaust tip to bring through the rear bumper instead of the center tip but after holding both in place I think I'll stay with the center exit .... keep in mind, everything will be flush with the rear bumper not sticking out like in the pics. Opinions welcome on this one.
My TTi 1 7/8 headers came in today so I quickly mocked them up and checked the ground clearance..if I remove the 3 bolt flange and go with the ball and socket style I'll have 4.25" to the ground...now I'm thinking what if I shortened the tubes where the turn down by 1". Is it worth it or am I okay with what I have for room. I can't really raise the engine unless I modify the transmission tunnel.
I also Shinned my AMD doner hood and got it cut roughly to the size of the stock hood, it's a little short on the front edge so it look's like I'll be adding some metal there, I would really like to remove all the factory bump's, contour's and edge's but that might prove to be a semi challenging.

Attachments

• duster 008.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,371
  • duster 027.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,363
  • duster 021.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,343
  • duster 024.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,345
  • duster 019.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,331
  • duster 016.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,333
  • duster 012.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,347
  • duster 013.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,358
  • duster 015.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • duster 009.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,345
Heres the Hood pics....mentioned above

Attachments

• duster 001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,357
  • duster 004.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,353
how much did you pay to blast and primer it? Looks so good and smooth

how much did you pay to blast and primer it? Looks so good and smooth
The initial body sand blasting was $350.00 (pics on page 1), everything else was media blasted in stages.... doors $100 each, fenders $75 each, hood $100 and deck lid $60. I bought Southern Poly Epoxy primer 200, doing it all by yourself.....priceless

Those prices are amazing.. I wish I could find someone to do this and primer the car for me local. It would get me so far a head and for it to be primered right after would make life so much eaiser!

Those prices are amazing.. I wish I could find someone to do this and primer the car for me local. It would get me so far a head and for it to be primered right after would make life so much eaiser!

My buddy has his entire car media blasted and it was over $1200.00,
my local blaster just puts a couple straps throught the glass area and lifts the car 6 feet off the ground with a shop crane and goes to town. It's a great way to find and remove all the rust especially if you know your going to be replacing panels like the gem I started with.

my local blaster just puts a couple straps throught the glass area and lifts the car 6 feet off the ground with a shop crane and goes to town. It's a great way to find and remove all the rust especially if you know your going to be replacing panels like the gem I started with.

:thumblef: Center vote here! but where does the license plate go?

I don't believe mine is bad at all, just surface rust on the floor pans and inside behind the sail panels. Maybe I should just sand it all down with wire wheels?

I really wanted to blast the bottom of the car the most.

Wow 1200.00 maybe I should have done that instead of dipping the whole car cost me just a few pennies more.

As for the exhaust I like the center better makes it look different from the rest.

Wow 1200.00 maybe I should have done that instead of dipping the whole car cost me just a few pennies more.

As for the exhaust I like the center better makes it look different from the rest.

Yea but for $1200.00 I think he ended up with a warped hood included in that price.....mine was media blasted by the same guy except he hand stripped the center with a dual action sander to avoid that problem..I would think dipping it would really get in all the nooks and cranies like the inner frame rails. The center exhaust is pretty much locked in at this point but I had to make sure I didn't like custom duals before I started cutting up the bumper.

Okay, did some mock up over the weekend, The bumpers finally came back from being "dechromed", got the driveline dropped in and the entire rear suspension assembled to make sure everthing still fit like it was designed to, looks like the rear will have to come up 1" since I dont really want to lower the front anymore and like a little "Rake" to my hot rods I have 6" ground clearance to the bottom of the K frame, 5 1/2" to the torsion bar crossmember and 9" to the rocker and roof height 53" I put my dad in the photo for a height reference...he's 6'. Then while washing the wifes Altima I decided to steal a wheel/tire combo since I was wondering what a 215/55R17 on a 17 rim would look like since my front wheels aren't here yet, I was pleasantly surprised by the look, I'm not a low profile tire kind of guy and didn't want to follow the trend by bolting on a Ford "cobra" tire size. Last but not least.... my back ordered hood off a brand "X" vehicle arrived at Summit Racing and will now give up its outer skin and stamped scoop....no Fiberglass here were gonna keep it all steel.

i was curious,so i measured mine. i am at 53 1/2". you are sitting a little lower in the rear than i am i think though. i need to measure the k-frame and things also. i have old school long tubes right now that are flat from bottoming out racing. i have been eyeballing some sanderson's to get real soon.

View attachment 20110805142141.jpg

Love the hood.
I'm doing something similar, it was a toss up between that one or the twin scoop cuda one. The twin scoops won out for me.

i was curious,so i measured mine. i am at 53 1/2". you are sitting a little lower in the rear than i am i think though. i need to measure the k-frame and things also. i have old school long tubes right now that are flat from bottoming out racing. i have been eyeballing some sanderson's to get real soon.

View attachment 291868

Any clearance Issues other than the flattened headers ?

Love the hood.
I'm doing something similar, it was a toss up between that one or the twin scoop cuda one. The twin scoops won out for me.

found your thread where you started the hood...any pics of the process or advice before I start cutting away ?

Maybe you missed it but I was wondering where the license plate is going to go if you use the center exhaust?

Sorry I missed it I guess I got a couple ideas I'm not really ready to reveal yet...once I nail down my final decision I'll pass it on...if you want to call me I'll bounce a couple idea's off ya...I know you can keep a secret.

Sorry I missed it I guess I got a couple ideas I'm not really ready to reveal yet...once I nail down my final decision I'll pass it on...if you want to call me I'll bounce a couple idea's off ya...I know you can keep a secret.

I know you know I can! LOL

By the way.... I'm really loving this build. Say hello to Dave for me! I'll call you tomorrow......

76Orange, I sent you a PM on the hood progress. Added a couple pictures that I won't post in my thread for a while.
Hopefully it helps you out.

I love the look of that hood.. it looks like the one on my 06 Charger.

Thanks,
My wheels are 17" x 7" with 5 1/8" B.S so I might be alright there...aren't your wheels wider with alot more B.S. ?

yes. 17x8 with i think it is 5.7" BS. if it wasn't for the damn TRE hitting the wheel i would be fine without spacers. 18's are supposed to solve that. i chicken too sh$& to heat up the knuckle and bend it to date! i only need about 1/2" max.

Sorry for the confusion....I was talking about B.S, not B.S. Clear as mud now.......:thumbup:

-
Back