73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
okay heres the latest updates of the rust repair and panel replacement, this is pretty much a repeat of the passenger side outer rocker panel replacement and inner patch panel made from 4130 chrome moly .052 steel, although this would have been a easy section repair I decided to replace the entire panel since I had a complete panel. But the final decision was based on the way the factory aligned the panel in the begining it was over 1/2" off, sure it was still functional but looked like crap and I didnt want a fellow member checkin it out at a show and thinking I couldn't line up two panels (photo included). Tomorrow I'll try to get the door post Pillar ready for final fitment and welded in.

Attachments

• DSC_0002 (4).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3,018
  • DSC_0012 (4).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,978
  • DSC_0013 (3).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,969
  • DSC_0016 (4).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,992
  • DSC_0014 (4).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3,015
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,921
  • DSC_0001 (3).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,959
  • DSC_0010 (2).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,997
  • DSC_0012 (2).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,998
Since we just got a New 65 ton Ironworker at the base I decided to try it out and make a couple supports to replace the factory front leaf spring mounts (photo Included), since I will be running a triangulated 4 link this bracket wont be needed. I thought about just welding the holes but upon closer inspection there was some rust issues there too, so heres what I came up. The 1" holes are there for fuel and brake lines if needed down the road. these wont be welded in for a couple weeks but I thought I would give a preview of things to come.

Attachments

• DSC_0019 (3).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,958
  • DSC_0020 (3).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,957
  • DSC_0022 (3).JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 2,962
Ross, you're a bad man. I'm jealous of you're mad skills.

I just discovered my 32K original mile '73 Olds Cutlass Supreme has developed a bad case of rust on the passenger side rear wheel well (unknown to me as it was in storage). After the initial shock and the disappointing fact that re-pop panels are not available for this specific car I was devastated. After a consultation with the best body guy in the area and him telling me that he can't even get it in until March, my initial thought was......."This clown better be as good as 76orangewagon." Enough about my troubles! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!
Thanks again for all the kind words, I wish I could work a little faster to post faster updates for all to see, but we all know how that goes, there's never enough time. Plus looking at everybody elses build's I keep getting all these cool and different Ideas for future mod's.

Wow and I thought my car had a lot of cancer, you are dedicated. Seeing your pictures gives me hope for mine. Good luck, cant wait too see the finished results.

Ross,
great work, one small chunk at a time, dont worry you really can eat the whole elephant!8)
Andrew

Take your time, your doing a great job...

Great build and even greater skills! Your car will outlive all of us with the effort you are putting into it.

If only the line apes that originally built it had made half the effort...

Awesome project. The car had a lot of hidden rust through it. You're doing an excellent job.

If I ever get to feeling like I have a lot of work to do, this is the thread I'm going to look at again. You're doing an incredible job on a car most would have been afraid of and scrapped. Amazing.

After you retire from the military you should open a body shop. Seriously. You have some mad skills!

Well it's been several weeks since my last update, since the cold set it in good ol' North East Ohio my motivation level has cooled off also, but I've drawn some inspiration from some other member builds and decided to hit it once again. first I finished off the door jamb area, removed the wheel well housings, made some nice custom templates of the replacement tubs that will go in there place and hopefully in a few weeks will have some cool 16 gauge, 32" x 17" hand made wheel tubs to weld back in. in the mean time I'll be fitting the new AMD quarter panel skins. Happy New Year everyone.

Attachments

• DSC_0051 (3).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,962
  • DSC_0052 (3).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,938
  • DSC_0053 (3).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,947
  • DSC_0054 (4).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 2,937
  • DSC_0055 (4).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,969
  • DSC_0058 (4).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,962
  • DSC_0059 (2).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,964
  • DSC_0060 (3).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,969
  • DSC_0050 (4).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,998
actually I was hoping you'd get your done and post some pics so I could follow your ideas.

Bahahaha cause I've been watching yours to see how you did it. I think I'll be doing my subframe connectors and spring relocation boxes next.

Are you doing spring relocation boxes? I have a pair of extra boxes if you want them.

Riddler

Bahahaha cause I've been watching yours to see how you did it. I think I'll be doing my subframe connectors and spring relocation boxes next.

Are you doing spring relocation boxes? I have a pair of extra boxes if you want them.

Riddler
thanks for the offer but I'm going with a triangulated 4 link set up and wont need them, hopefully in a couple weeks I will the wheel tubs installed, I was going to split the factory wheel wells but the way the outer lip is you cant drop the car to get a lower stance. happy new year

all i can say is, your the man, amazing work so far, you have some very great skills, definatly keep up the good work, hows the crazy weather over in the east?

Very sweet ride thats all i can say ... keep up the great work ..

Nice work! Glag to see a cool car get a second life! I won't complain about my rust issues after seeing yours! What do you do for the AF?

Nice work! Glag to see a cool car get a second life! I won't complain about my rust issues after seeing yours! What do you do for the AF?
Metals Technician, hows life at Minot ? We just picked up a sheet metal troop from there.

Great lookin car you got going! Question for you, are you going the run the wheel tub flush with the rear frame for max tire clearance without cutting the frame rails?

Great lookin car you got going! Question for you, are you going the run the wheel tub flush with the rear frame for max tire clearance without cutting the frame rails?
Thats the plan, I am going to remove the frame lip to gain a extra 1/2" or so and weld the floor pan and frame rail together and the new 16 gauge tubs flush to the frame.

-
Back