73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Well it's been a while since I've had a update but since I got my wheel tubs this week I thought I would post some pics, I had them made long so I could trim them to the contour of the frame rails. they will get installed flush to the frame for maximum tire clearance. I plan on running somewhere around a 325/50/15. I think I will have to install them and the quarter panels at the same time to get the best fit or the quarters first with cleko pins that seemed to work well in my 1969 Road Runner a few years back. I also visited my local plating guy for some clear and yellow zinc work. Most of it turned out great but the yellow zinc came out a little rough. All the pieces were prepped the same way (glass media bead) I think the yellow got applied a little heavy if thats possible. Anyway hope you enjoy the pics will post more when the install begins.

Attachments

• DSC_0070 (4).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,045
  • DSC_0075 (2).JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 3,071
  • DSC_0074 (4).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 3,018
  • DSC_0073 (4).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 3,051
  • DSC_0072 (4).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 3,036
  • DSC_0081 (4).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3,059
  • DSC_0080 (2).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,052
  • DSC_0078 (3).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,053
Well it's been a while since I've had a update but since I got my wheel tubs this week I thought I would post some pics, I had them made long so I could trim them to the contour of the frame rails. they will get installed flush to the frame for maximum tire clearance. I plan on running somewhere around a 325/50/15. I think I will have to install them and the quarter panels at the same time to get the best fit or the quarters first with cleko pins that seemed to work well in my 1969 Road Runner a few years back. I also visited my local plating guy for some clear and yellow zinc work. Most of it turned out great but the yellow zinc came out a little rough. All the pieces were prepped the same way (glass media bead) I think the yellow got applied a little heavy if thats possible. Anyway hope you enjoy the pics will post more when the install begins.

welcome back. where the hell have you been! LOL nice stuff. Where did you get the wheel tubs made? they look great

QUOTE=HemiMark;1273896]welcome back. where the hell have you been! LOL nice stuff. Where did you get the wheel tubs made? they look great[/QUOTE]

Just taking a winter break, hard to get motivated in the dead of winter(at least for me) now that the tubs are here time to get at it again. the tubs were designed by me and made by Direct Sheetmetal in California, there 16 gauge steel and 32"x 17". the ones in the 71 Duster you got off me were about the same size, but 22 gauge and no rolled edge or flat top like the factory ones. I hope once installed they will have a slight factory stamped appearance.

Just taking a winter break, hard to get motivated in the dead of winter(at least for me) now that the tubs are here time to get at it again. the tubs were designed by me and made by Direct Sheetmetal in California, there 16 gauge steel and 32"x 17". the ones in the 71 Duster you got off me were about the same size, but 22 gauge and no rolled edge or flat top like the factory ones. I hope once installed they will have a slight factory stamped appearance

I like them.....

15" wheels ????
Yea I know...this is the set up I ran on the last duster and really liked the size to width ratio. If I could find a tire with a 28"-29" height and 12.5"-13" overall width in a 17" wheel, I'd be all over it. but so far havent found the perfect tire. I wish I could switch out wheels and tires like unruleycuda to get the right look on that awesome Duster but my pockets arent that deep, I also was thinking about riddlers wheel set up I really love that wheel...so for now its 15" but always subject to change plus I love the painted steelie/dog dish look on a 15" wheel

I Like the plated parts..!!Little things like that makes for such a nice finished project.:thumrigh:

Yea I know...this is the set up I ran on the last duster and really liked the size to width ratio. If I could find a tire with a 28"-29" height and 12.5"-13" overall width in a 17" wheel, I'd be all over it. but so far havent found the perfect tire. I wish I could switch out wheels and tires like unruleycuda to get the right look on that awesome Duster but my pockets arent that deep, I also was thinking about riddlers wheel set up I really love that wheel...so for now its 15" but always subject to change plus I love the painted steelie/dog dish look on a 15" wheel

Mickey Thompsom sportsman radial comes in 28" x 12" x 18" plus a couple other sizes in that range, check em out...

Well here is the weekend update: Saturday A.M decided to weld all the unused holes in the Firewall used some old Quarter panel metal for filler patches....Saturday P.M and Sunday.. Cut off the remainer of the old Quarter panel and hung the new one. Again my hat goes off to AMD as with all of there parts (I've used them all on this car). the fit is excellent. I Trimmed up the new wheel tub and removed all metal that was in the way (temporarily) clamped them in place. My goal is to get the fit between the Quarter and wheel tub to around 1/8" them fill the gap with flexible seam sealer, I figure 3-4 more times of the on again/ off again and I should have a good fit, but this was close enough so I could post some pics without being too embarrassed. When I first saw the Tubs I wasn't 100% on my design I sent them but after seeing them installed I must admit that I really like them. As you can see in the last photo I will have plenty of room for some wide rubber, I also plan on cutting about 1/2" off the lip for a little extra room.

Attachments

• DSC_0096 (3).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,832
  • DSC_0090 (4).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 2,797
  • DSC_0100 (2).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,822
  • DSC_0088 (4).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,810
  • DSC_0099 (3).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,839
  • DSC_0098 (2).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2,792
  • DSC_0085 (4).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,824
  • DSC_0093 (4).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,835
  • DSC_0092 (3).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,835
  • DSC_0103 (2).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,885
I was wonderin' how you gonna get them big wheel tubs in there....removable 1/4 panel...duhhh(on me).....good move ...they look great!

..and I'm sure many will want to do the same...better tell you stampin' buddy to make sure he has plenty of 16 ga on hand

and ..because they will ask...how many $$$$

I was wonderin' how you gonna get them big wheel tubs in there....removable 1/4 panel...duhhh(on me).....good move ...they look great!

..and I'm sure many will want to do the same...better tell you stampin' buddy to make sure he has plenty of 16 ga on hand

and ..because they will ask...how many $$$$

$275.00 plus shipping from California.....Thanks for the compliment.

makes my hillbilly trailer fenders look.......hillbilly

makes my hillbilly trailer fenders look.......hillbilly
I was gonna try my own using trailer fenders, actually mine have what looks like the same 1" trailer radius. it wouldnt surprise me if thats what this company used and charged me 10x the price...oh well it over and done with now...Mark told me you were building a set.. got any pics of them? I'm sure they dont look Hilbilly

go to ...Welcome Wagon(1st page)...My post is.... A-Bodies.....Big Motors(about halfway down)...on page 19 there are some shots of the body w/rear fenderwells....

Great job, I've been eyeing my firewall next and thinking about making it totally smooth. What where the holes on the driver's side used for? I know the blower was on the passenger side.

Keep up the great work. I knew I should of had you do the minitubs...lol

Riddler

Great job, I've been eyeing my firewall next and thinking about making it totally smooth. What where the holes on the driver's side used for? I know the blower was on the passenger side.

Keep up the great work. I knew I should of had you do the minitubs...lol

Riddler
Clutch rod boot and windshield washer hose grommet and of course wiring harness plug since its gonna have a universal harness and hidden...
heater hoses are staying for the new flexlite heater/defroster unit.

Clutch rod boot and windshield washer hose grommet and of course wiring harness plug since its gonna have a universal harness and hidden...

Nice job Ross..... speedo cable hole filled? y/n ???

We're gonna have to talk about the Flexlite heater/defroster unit. I'll have to figure out what every hole in again on the firewall before I patch them up.

Riddler

Very good thread you have going here!
Pround to see someone is getting to work on there cars. Keep up the good work and progress. Matt

Nice job Ross..... speedo cable hole filled? y/n ???
Not yet guess it's about time to pick a speedometer for the custom dash insert...if I decide on electric then the hole will get filled when I weld up all those small firewall insulation holes...why you got a good idea brewing ???

Not yet guess it's about time to pick a speedometer for the custom dash insert...if I decide on electric then the hole will get filled when I weld up all those small firewall insulation holes...why you got a good idea brewing ???

No, not really. I was reading a thread where there was a custom dash and modern gages. no holes in the firewall so I was wondering what you were going to do! :read2:

No, not really. I was reading a thread where there was a custom dash and modern gages. no holes in the firewall so I was wondering what you were going to do! :read2:
just keeping all the factory contours and stampings without most of the holes, obviously keeping steering, brakes, wipers and heater hose holes thats about it

looks great i love what your doing with the firewall and the wheel wells. your definitely doing it once and doing it right. Kudos to you sir.

-
Back