73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
on wiring:

i specialize in that. do quite a few full custom hharnesses a year.

ive used all major manufacturers except isis.

the thing with painless verses similar kits, is their wire has more strands of smaller diameter, and their insulation is tougher and more flexible. they also include some wires that arent included in other kits, like ground wires, etc. very nice quality, but due to their fuseblock design, you have liited routing options and mounting options. little more cumbersome to work with than others, but better quality.

with your build, and they way that you seem to think, as well as the style you seem to be going after, id expect you to want to do a fully hidden wiring setup. best kit for that is a ron francis kit, as YOU make all the connections to the fuse bblock wire by wire, circuit by circuit. much easier kit to "tuck". only problem is their fuse panel is HUGE. no problem if you want to mount it in the trunk, but under the dash of an a-body, its going to be pretty tight.

im making a WAG on your wiring harness preferences, as im not one of the hemi family, so im not privilege to the top secret planning sessions.

if youre looking for a guy to do wiring, or need more suggestions, ask away.

Michael

Michael,

First off, thanks for the in depth evaluation of the various system. I have a compact heater in place of the bulky factory unit so that frees up alot of underdash room plus I had planned on making a custom glove box liner and mount a fuse box flush with the back of the liner so all is visible when I drop the door down right next to the ignition control box. I looked at the Ron Francis kit but liked the pro street kit (painless) better, but I haven't purchased anything yet.
As far as the Top Secret planning sessions go, all is eventually revealed but since I make several changes to my initial plans, I usually hold off on posting things until they become a reality. You are correct I plan on hiding as much wiring as possible, especially under the hood to keep a clean look. All of the Top Secret plans currently are just cosmetic and have no effect on functionality.

Get the kit that I and abodyjoe have...American autowire.. I have the highway series 15 and he has the highway 22.

I agree! American Autowire is better quality all around! I can get you a kit at Dealer cost. Pm me if interested? - Josh

I will check them out, my buddy used them and his main complaint was there Customer Service, when troubleshooting problems.

Awesome workmanship on that car! Looking forward to seeing it in color!

Thanks, It's suppose to be in primer very soon....I'm going to see it next week, I'll be sure to take my camera.

I stand corrected, I just spoke with my Buddy with the 50 Ford truck and he said he didn't care for EZ Wiring, and when I mentioned American Autowire he had nothing but good things to say.....I would think that the Highway 15 kit would be enough circuits for my application.

Yup. And for any of the circuits you won't be using that are on there, just use them for something else. Thats what I will be doing and I got mine off Amazon for around 250-270

Just read this thread from beginning to end. I started at 3:30p my time. It's now 11:01p. Im dizzy...This project is hard to articulate in english just how amazing it is. I am in total awe of your skills and ideas. I was just gonna find a 73 340 block and build a mild "stock" appearing Dart Sport...but now I'm totally torn...

Just read this thread from beginning to end. I started at 3:30p my time. It's now 11:01p. Im dizzy...This project is hard to articulate in english just how amazing it is. I am in total awe of your skills and ideas. I was just gonna find a 73 340 block and build a mild "stock" appearing Dart Sport...but now I'm totally torn...

.I know, its crazy. I love it for sure.

.I know, its crazy. I love it for sure.

I know what you mean- this thread gave me ideas that have changed my build dramatically.

I know what you mean- this thread gave me ideas that have changed my build dramatically.

Very nice work ,I hope I can do the same with my 73 Dart 340 ,you got me motivated to do mine .I've owned it 1974,haven't driven since 1985,thanks.

I enjoy this thread. Thinking out of the box has from now on a meaning! Love it

Thank you for all your compliments and kind words...all I can say is Hang on cause I have a few unique new twists on some old style technology coming that will definatley make you say what the F**K .\\:D/\\:D/

Thank you for all your compliments and kind words...all I can say is Hang on cause I have a few unique new twists on some old style technology coming that will definatley make you say what the F**K .\\:D/\\:D/

I've said that several times during this awesome build....

Ross will make you say that a lot. Just be careful there are no little chillin's around or some one will smack you.:coffee2:

for sure ................

When you coming to the Burg?

for sure ................

When you coming to the Burg?

Maybe next Week...
Went to see the car tonight..I like the progress but I'm sure I wont have it back by Christmas....heres a sneak peak anyway, We did iron out a few color details, there might be a new twist for the bumper treatment some thing experimental, sort of.

Attachments

• duster 007.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 905
  • duster 009.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 925
  • duster 010.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 884
Some may not see it this way, but that picture with the hood on it is truly inspirational. There was so much work put into that car and you can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. That is gonna look great painted.

Some may not see it this way, but that picture with the hood on it is truly inspirational. There was so much work put into that car and you can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. That is gonna look great painted.

I've mentioned it before, but everytime I go to look at the car, I am visually reminded of all the modifications that I have forgottten about or just seem normal to me....just like the new cowl vent in the last picture, I look at it and it looks totally normal there but then think back that where were a few trial and errors leading up to where it's at now and the better part of a day in design, manufacturing and installation. The hood is another example.....after sitting it on the car, I realize the opening has to be bigger to flow with the suttle but aggressive look I'm trying to achieve, So were going to cut it apart and lower the center scoop area...as always more on that (with pics) to follow.

I love it. I have to look back to see what you did when you did what you did. More of them "Small Tater" mods. I'm so looking forward to paint. Wish I could even get my car started. Been a real crappy year. You keep me inspired.:coffee2:

I love it. I have to look back to see what you did when you did what you did. More of them "Small Tater" mods. I'm so looking forward to paint. Wish I could even get my car started. Been a real crappy year. You keep me inspired.:coffee2:

Thanks Thunder,
A new year is less than a month away......hopefully things get better and you'll get a chance to get started on the car.:burnout:

I've read mixed reviews on different forums, and taking them with a grain of salt...I mean it's just wiring and each one is marked to where it goes...regardless of who's kit it is where's the difficultity from one to the other. I'm not looking forward to wiring but it really can't be rocket science. And since I'm starting without any factory components to tie into I think and hope all goes smooth. Hopefully I can give a good review once I'm done. I can't wait till you start on the Dart again...looking forward to the progress and pics, incredible work.:thumbrig::thumbrig:

Hate may be to strong a word for how I feel about wiring but its close! I went with a Painless kit on my Demon and it really was pretty painless. I also tied in an Ididitinc remote pushbutton start into the mix since I have a keyless flaming river column and a very nice stereo system for some cruising tunes. It took me some time to go over everything and make sure I knew what I was doing before I went wild with side cutters :)
Like you I had nothing factory to tie into so I would guess that makes it much better. I hid all my MSD up under the dash, so with that and the battery in the trunk it really cleaned up the engine bay.
Looking forward to seeing more updates,,,Merry Christmas!

The hood is another example.....after sitting it on the car, I realize the opening has to be bigger to flow with the suttle but aggressive look I'm trying to achieve, So were going to cut it apart and lower the center scoop area...as always more on that (with pics) to follow.

your'e gonna do WHAT....to that hood?.

Dave?
DAVE?

your'e gonna do WHAT....to that hood?.

Dave?
DAVE?

Okay that was kind of a weak explaination I'll give you that. So allow me to back up and give a few visual references In the first pic below you see how the original hood depth was on the 73' hood, not a very big opening. Then in the next pic you see how I enlarged the opening by lowering the air inlet area.....the hood stayed the same height but I doubled the air opening size...got it

Attachments

• duster%20034.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 858
  • duster%20021.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 867
  • duster%20009.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 852
Okay that was kind of a weak explaination I'll give you that. So allow me to back up and give a few visual references In the first pic below you see how the original hood depth was on the 73' hood, not a very big opening. Then in the next pic you see how I enlarged the opening by lowering the air inlet area.....the hood stayed the same height but I doubled the air opening size...got it

That's pretty bad *** if you ask me......

-
Back