73 Duster build named Fred

-
Don't let a -.004 light deter you! You don't have to race every weekend to have fun. Or enter points or whatever. Go for the sheer thrill of competition and see how you can do.
You've got a great car - should be quite low maintenance so not too much to do between events. Sure, add some interior comforts but beyond the basics, you don't need heat and wipers and all that. The car isn't for use on inclement days anyway.

Knock on wood....my time between races is a bit of polishing, swapping mufflers on/off and tires for slicks as I also enjoy this pig of mine on the street. I'm way slower than you but mine still puts a wide grin on my face every time the loud pedal gets exercised. Yes, occasional changes here and there like now revising/rewiring the gauge panel, etc, etc. But that's just for fun. There will always be little things I want to do.

As some on here say....drive the wheels off it and enjoy it. You built a heck of a car so go have some fun!
lol, this has nothing to do with the .004 light last time out. This has everything to do with my health. It takes way too much out of me just to get to the track anymore. As much as I enjoy racing, I don’t enjoy recovering when I get home.

As for creature comforts, the car doesn’t have any because I built it to race but if I’m not going to race anymore, I wouldn’t mind putting in some work to convert to street car.

I appreciate the props on the car. I’m very pleased with the way it turned out.

Bill

Not a happy post....

Been thinking about this for a while and pretty sure I have decided to run a few more races this season and then hang it up. Just can't keep up physically anymore. I've been getting headaches at almost every race and I'm so exhausted when I get home to the point where it takes a few days to recover with this past Saturday really pushing me to the limit.

When I raced offroad, I had a team that helped with every task but now I am doing everything myself. From working on the car, to prep, loading the trailer, driving to the track, unloading and getting set up, checking the car out and running it. Keep in mind, the closest track to me is 2hr drive each way. Hell, I even man the grille at the track because none of my friends seem to know how to do that.... lol Of course when we are done racing, then I have to do everything in reverse order to get back home.

I'm not much of a spectator so I don't know how often I will make it out to the track but as much as I love everything about racing, I'm sure I will make it out on occasion to support my friends.

I'm not going anywhere, just don't plan on racing much longer. Now to decide what to do with Fred. I absolutely want an A-Body driver so do I convert back to street car or do I sell it and start over?

How old are you??? I hear you about doing 100% because I too do it. From shopping, to loading up, to unloading, bla bla bla. 8 years ago I used to have my transmissions built but then I even added that. If I want to continue I need two new knees and get my butt either walking again if I can of get on the exercise bike five feet from me that my cats use more than I do. Help isn’t coming because I don’t work that way so when the party is over, it’s over. Hopefully not for a few more years at least. Good luck with your decision.

How old are you??? I hear you about doing 100% because I too do it. From shopping, to loading up, to unloading, bla bla bla. 8 years ago I used to have my transmissions built but then I even added that. If I want to continue I need two new knees and get my butt either walking again if I can of get on the exercise bike five feet from me that my cats use more than I do. Help isn’t coming because I don’t work that way so when the party is over, it’s over. Hopefully not for a few more years at least. Good luck with your decision.
I’m 63, but I also work full-time. 50+ hours a week. Don’t think I’ll ever 100% quit racing, but absolutely feel like I need to cut back because it’s kicking my ***. Lol.

In your thread, I said I was proud of the driver, which is you. I meant it because I knew that you did all of your own work and knowing how I feel, I can only imagine how you feel after a race weekend.

Whatever I decide, I can always take whatever I got to the racetrack and have fun. Racing a street car can be fun too lol

I didn’t feel this way at the start of the season, however, the last four or five races have really hit me pretty hard.

Step one of converting Fred into a streetcar. lol

IMG_3491.jpeg

I’m 63, but I also work full-time. 50+ hours a week. Don’t think I’ll ever 100% quit racing, but absolutely feel like I need to cut back because it’s kicking my ***. Lol.

In your thread, I said I was proud of the driver, which is you. I meant it because I knew that you did all of your own work and knowing how I feel, I can only imagine how you feel after a race weekend.

Whatever I decide, I can always take whatever I got to the racetrack and have fun. Racing a street car can be fun too lol

I didn’t feel this way at the start of the season, however, the last four or five races have really hit me pretty hard.

I was going to sign up for points as our bracket finals is at my home track again. When I saw how many points races they scheduled this year I said no way. The heat this year has been crazy and it’s still very easy for me to tow to the track for one day with my truck to race. But hooking up and using the motorhome for a long weekend is double the work at least. I gotta use my head most and if it’s crazy hot just stay home. But with a lot of the big money races I go to you have to pre enter months ahead of time. So I have the Ace race in a week and a half that could be very hot that I paid 200.00 towards. And the 40,000.00 race on Labor Day weekend which the weather should be getting nicer hopefully. I have zero desire for a streetcar. Both of those pre entered races are easy to sell if I can’t go. I wish you had a track 40 miles from home Bill like I do because you can get up in the morning and say hey I’m going racing.

Not a happy post....

Been thinking about this for a while and pretty sure I have decided to run a few more races this season and then hang it up. Just can't keep up physically anymore. I've been getting headaches at almost every race and I'm so exhausted when I get home to the point where it takes a few days to recover with this past Saturday really pushing me to the limit.

When I raced offroad, I had a team that helped with every task but now I am doing everything myself. From working on the car, to prep, loading the trailer, driving to the track, unloading and getting set up, checking the car out and running it. Keep in mind, the closest track to me is 2hr drive each way. Hell, I even man the grille at the track because none of my friends seem to know how to do that.... lol Of course when we are done racing, then I have to do everything in reverse order to get back home.

I'm not much of a spectator so I don't know how often I will make it out to the track but as much as I love everything about racing, I'm sure I will make it out on occasion to support my friends.

I'm not going anywhere, just don't plan on racing much longer. Now to decide what to do with Fred. I absolutely want an A-Body driver so do I convert back to street car or do I sell it and start over?
Bill don't give up now. You are doing a great job at racing..sorry to hear about the headaches. But I know how you feel. I am trying to do this with my left knee shot, needs replaced
Now found out I need sugrey on my right foot. Something about having to put in a artificial joint in my big toe. On top of that dealing with a messed up back that sugrey didn't fix. Sorry for the pityy post I made about me. Bill I wish you the best in what ever you decide to do. Oh yea I woukd trade you my pro junk dakota for Fred. Lol

I was going to sign up for points as our bracket finals is at my home track again. When I saw how many points races they scheduled this year I said no way. The heat this year has been crazy and it’s still very easy for me to tow to the track for one day with my truck to race. But hooking up and using the motorhome for a long weekend is double the work at least. I gotta use my head most and if it’s crazy hot just stay home. But with a lot of the big money races I go to you have to pre enter months ahead of time. So I have the Ace race in a week and a half that could be very hot that I paid 200.00 towards. And the 40,000.00 race on Labor Day weekend which the weather should be getting nicer hopefully. I have zero desire for a streetcar. Both of those pre entered races are easy to sell if I can’t go. I wish you had a track 40 miles from home Bill like I do because you can get up in the morning and say hey I’m going racing.
I think points would be cool but I just could never dedicate myself to go to every race. Like this past weekend that was Friday, Saturday and Sunday points races. It makes it tough for people who have other commitments other than racing.

I do understand what Bill is going through and I am I am only 41. I'm only 20 minutes from the track and not having my car at home adds another hour to me going racing then an hour after racing. I also have a ton of other things to do other than racing so anymore I'm not very committed. I thought about selling my car in the past and I keep coming up with, it's bought and paid for. If I make it out then great, if not maybe next time.

In theory, couldn't a street car be less work to race? Maybe not as fast, but something that just needs fuel and tire pressure check? Roll back to your pit, park it in the shade and drink some ice tea until the next round. You could even load slicks in the trunk and drive it to the track if it was close enough. Trick is being ok with the times it runs and not "try and make it faster". And figuring out how to make it consistent.

Full disclosure: I have almost zero experience. I have run down the track before, but nothing to the level of loading and RV and running a dedicated drag car. So I'm not pretending to know, just tossing an idea out.

In theory, couldn't a street car be less work to race? Maybe not as fast, but something that just needs fuel and tire pressure check? Roll back to your pit, park it in the shade and drink some ice tea until the next round. You could even load slicks in the trunk and drive it to the track if it was close enough. Trick is being ok with the times it runs and not "try and make it faster". And figuring out how to make it consistent.

Full disclosure: I have almost zero experience. I have run down the track before, but nothing to the level of loading and RV and running a dedicated drag car. So I'm not pretending to know, just tossing an idea out.
Yes, you are 100% correct. Couple of years back, I raced my trx. Drive it to the track with the a/c blowing, parked in the shade sipping on iced tea and ran 10.80’s all night long until it was time to go home. Way easier than what I am doing now.

I think I want to try that with an a-body (minus the a/c of course). lol

Lol this made me look at my race schedule and the week after the four day Ace Race is Michael Beards 3 day race at Keystone. If the duster is running well I’ll beach the motorhome and car trailer in my front yard and weather watch.

If it was me, I would do a 6.4/8HP swap and keep the AC. Or even better would be a Hellcat. Could still run 10's easy and be comfortable to drive anywhere you wanted. But I like the G3, I know not all do.

If I'm doing a G3 swap it damn well better do 9's with the a/c running in a A-body for the work involved.
The skys are the limits. lol

I like keeping old school, old school. I love the new stuff in new stuff like my stock 9 second Super Stock that I recently sold. I’d be happy with a clean 11 second a body. All steel, all glass, full interior and naturally aspirated without any power adders.

I might have to build it from scratch as I would hate to undo everything I’ve done on Fred.

Damnit, maybe I should have kept Barney! lol

IMG_1452.jpeg

I like keeping old school, old school. I love the new stuff in new stuff like my stock 9 second Super Stock that I recently sold. I’d be happy with a clean 11 second a body. All steel, all glass, full interior and naturally aspirated without any power adders.

I might have to build it from scratch as I would hate to undo everything I’ve done on Fred.

View attachment 1716273816

If all you want is 11 seconds you can do that pretty easy on 340 inches.

I said I know not everybody like the G3. :lol:

A 6.4 is just so easy, and AC is cake. Wouldn't even need to hop it up, just bolt it in.

But I understand the old school angle, too. Currently leaving the LA in my '74 Duster, but the '73 is getting a 5.7/T56.

Even with an LA or BB, I would still do EFI and the 8HP. But that's me.

If you were closer I could get you a forged crank stock piston 340 with aftermarket cam, Victor340 intake, and ProMax heads tomorrow for 3500.00.

I told you!!!
I'm yelling lol

I guess it just sunk in I probably won't get to race you and Fred...for sure this year

-
Back