8 3/4 axle vent bolt

-

Dartvader440gt

Reaction score
Are there differences in the size of the vent bolts for an 8 3/4? I took the one off my spare from a 65 B-body Wagon 741 case and it was too big for my 69 A-body 741. I know the pumpkin doesn't matter, it's the axle housing. Also the two had different splines. I do not know it the one in my Dart is OEM. It's not a matching numbers car. I'm pretty sure the one from my 65 wagon is original.

Does it have a cap on the top of it?

Screenshot_20231116-131230.png

AXLE VENT BOLT - Is there only one size for the 8 3/4??

That's the one I ordered. The axle from my Dart never had the vent bolt. I just pulled it out a week ago for restoration and discovered it never had it.

I just pulled it out a week ago for restoration and discovered it never had it
Post a photo of your rear end. ( keep it clean boys)

If you have a 7 1/4 there is no dedicated vent bolt. Just a standard bolt to hold the brake Y adapter in place. as stated above there is a welded on cover that is the vent.

Green is the unvented brake Y adapter hold down bolt

Red is the vent.

It might be under decades of grease and dirt.

PXL_20231116_233723358~2.jpg

If it's 8 3/4 the vent bolt also holds the brake Y adapter in place.

Screenshot_20231116-164431.png

Last edited:
It's an 8 3/4 with the 741 pumpkin. The drivetrain is non original to the car. 440/727 8 3/4. There is a hole there but it's smaller than the vent bolt. I'll have to take some pics.

are you sure the old vent wasn't broken off flush with the housing and the broken threaded part is still in there . thread size for the vents is 7/16-20 i believe.

are you sure the old vent wasn't broken off flush with the housing and the broken threaded part is still in there . thread size for the vents is 7/16-20 i believe.
I didn't think of that. I'll have to check.

I think you're right. I just looked at it and ran my finger across it. It isn't totally flush. There are small ridges. I'm dropping it off to my buddy next week. I'll be sure to tell him to extract it.
Thanks

I know thread is a little old but I ran into problem with my vent on 8.75. The vent I bought was fine thread and my hole in tube was coarse thread.

-
Back