904 leaking, just sitting ?

-
Reaction score
Why does the 904 leak just sitting. I recall someone mentioning a common problem with these but I can't find it now. also, do I need special tools if I install all new seals?

Yes and no. Usually the leaks are the selector shaft seal and transmission fill tube O ring.
Some replace the seal without removing the valve body. I usually will be changing the fluid and filter
thus dropping the valve body,popping the seal, and installing the new one using a fine thread bolt and flat washers.
Start the seal then draw the seal in place with the bolt thru the case.

That's good news. thanks for the information. I just didn't want to get too deep. I've never done one of these. I have it out of the car, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks again !

I would start by inspecting the dipstick tube very closely, as mentioned. That's the culprit a lot of times, because the fluid level drops on startup and rises when the engine is cut off. If the o-ring is torn or dry rotted, you can certainly get a leak there.

Silicone the dipstick tube. Third time I've mentioned this in 7 days. I'm no transmission expert but my transmission expert is an expert. He says to silicone the O ring on the dipstick tube.

Silicone the dipstick tube. Third time I've mentioned this in 7 days. I'm no transmission expert but my transmission expert is an expert. He says to silicone the O ring on the dipstick tube.
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but install with silicon lubricant or wipe silicon type sealer around the tube.
SN: if people just used the search feature as this has all been covered about as many times as “what tire / rim combo” fits a duster

That can be a good repair if you do it right and the only way is if the tube and transmission are both bone dry. Otherwise, silicone ain't stickin to chit.

Since the trans is out of the car, minimum I would just reseal it or with a few tools and reading or watch some videos, you can get an overhaul kit for internal seals and clutches.

Thanks for the tips. I’m guessing one or both of these issues is the cause of the problem in the attached photo.

IMG_0975.jpeg

early transmissions have their own special set of leaks in addition to the usual culprits. namely the parking cable apparatus or the shifter cable seals. also, people frequently assemble the tail section with the wrong gasket.

so check the known bits and bobs to eliminate those suspects and then move on to the extra special fun time of the early trans stuff.

Thanks for the tips. I’m guessing one or both of these issues is the cause of the problem in the attached photo.
Just as JYH states above ^^^.65 and older park cable, housing, are common leak areas.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but install with silicon lubricant or wipe silicon type sealer around the tube.
SN: if people just used the search feature as this has all been covered about as many times as “what tire / rim combo” fits a duster
Sealant. I should have been more specific.

Sealant. I should have been more specific.
Thanks ! I appreciate that clarification.
I have been doing that for a long time already but did not know if you knew something I did not with silicon lube.

Thanks ! I appreciate that clarification.
I have been doing that for a long time already but did not know if you knew something I did not with silicon lube.
Does it work? I haven't put the idea to use yet.

Ima thinking that leak in post 9, is closer to the back of the trans, maybe around the Speed-O adapter. Those have an O-ring AND a seal inside where the plastic gear comes thru.
The O-ring almost never leaks
And if the speed-O cable is on tight and in good shape, you might never know if the seal is leaking. But, if the cable is not tight, well then there it is. To change that seal, the adapter sorta has to come out. And more oil will come out, unless you jack the car up high at the back, or high on the Driver's side. You'll figure it out, but put an oil-change pan under it anyway.
That adapter has to go back in, in exactly the same orientation as it comes out, so mark it. and the plastic gear, where it passes thru the seal, has to in fine condition.

Last edited:
-
Back