904 shifter adjustments???

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
I am installing a 904 in my duster after the slant six to 318 swap.
The linkage is going on and working but the shifter on the column slides between gears and won't go all the way down to 1.

The arm on the transmission is a little loose. Is this were I can tighten the arm to engage all the gears.

Loosen the linkage at the adjuster and put the trans and shifter both in park.
Tighten the adjuster point.

If you still have strange stuff going on it's either worn parts, or the wrong linkage parts.

Cool thanks.
It's an all new transmission.
So the sideways bolts on the arm is what needs loosened.

The arm on the transmission is a little loose. Is this were I can tighten the arm to engage all the gears.

What does this mean?

Determine if the arm is actually loose on the shaft, AND FIX THAT

Or does the arm and shaft turn together but rather there is play somewhere as inside the trans.

There are cases where the internal "comb" has come loose from the shaft. That may be your trouble.

With the link disconnected, you should be able to "snap" the thing from gear to gear, and there should be "very little" play in each detent.

Various destructions for adjusting linkage is in the service manuals, which you can download FREE at MyMopar. Some of those came from the guys here at FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

What does this mean?

Determine if the arm is actually loose on the shaft, AND FIX THAT

Or does the arm and shaft turn together but rather there is play somewhere as inside the trans.

There are cases where the internal "comb" has come loose from the shaft. That may be your trouble.

With the link disconnected, you should be able to "snap" the thing from gear to gear, and there should be "very little" play in each detent.

Various destructions for adjusting linkage is in the service manuals, which you can download FREE at MyMopar. Some of those came from the guys here at FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Yes. It allows me to shift through each gear. The problem comes when I have everything attached.

..............U need to get a cross shaft from a v8 car + the little bracket that bolts to the trans ear..........kim...........

I had a similar problem once and it took me a while to figure out. All my linkage was correct and good but if I adjusted it to go in park I had no low and vise versa. It ended up being the tube in the steering column slipping a little where it slides together. pita

..............U need to get a cross shaft from a v8 car + the little bracket that bolts to the trans ear..........kim...........

?????

when awPING I ALWAYS USE THE SIX CYL STUFF WHEN USING A COLUMN shif.

tighten the arm on the trans. that should nt be loose. and i usually put the trans and shifter in neutral then adjust the linkage to slidr right in. never had any issues doing it that way.

i usually put the trans and shifter in neutral then adjust the linkage to slidr right in. never had any issues doing it that way.

NO, IN PARK!

Just kidding :D

I said park for simplicity for the OP, and if everything in the linkage is ok it won't matter which one is used.
(But you know that)

So the six cylinder linkage will work?
This weekend I'll be able to mess with it more.

thanka again FABO

-
Back