904 torque converter recommendations

-
The two balancers showed up above are correct for a 360
Ok, thank you. Just to clarify. Those 2 balancers pictured, 1 side of the blue one has an identical side to mine.
But being mine doesn’t have the long 3/4” machined moon looking groove on the other side, I have pictured. Makes it not correct ? Am I right ?

It’s ether or the other. They both balance a 360.
What part is this are you missing?
The front of mine not pictured. Is exactly the same as the front of the blue one pictured. Which you state is a 360. I show a picture of the back of mine. But, the back of mine, as pictured. Has balance holes as you stated. I’m missing how that not makes mine a 360 balancer ?

The blue one in post 20 is like the other side of your orange one in post 21, correct?

Then it's externally balanced.

The blue one in post 20 is like the other side of your orange one in post 21, correct?

Then it's externally balanced.
Yes, exactly. So, the fact that mine has those 3 machined circle divets on the back side. Even though it doesn’t have the moon shaped machined groove on the front. Confirms it’s externally balanced for a 360 ? Because a 318 is not externally balanced. A 318 balancer should have no moon or circle machined grooves for balancing on either side, correct ? A 318 should be completely flat on both sides ? That’s my thinking anyhow.

Last edited:
Show a picture of the front please. They look the same from behind.

I did not know the other pictures was yours.....i was in the doctors office with my pants down to my knees reading post...sorry....

Here's a picture of a 318:

IMG_20191115_152350_01.jpg

The front of mine is identical to the front of the blue one pictured. I haven’t removed it since early summer. That’s when I took the picture. After I painted it.

Ok, so that is correct for a 360. Is that the engine you have?

Ok, so that is correct for a 360. Is that the engine you have?
Yeah, I have a 360. Its all good. Thanks to this thread, I’m 99 percent sure I have the correct balancer now. It may need replaced perhaps due to slippage. At idle, I have a very small engine shake. But, I also had extremely loose engine mount bolts that I tightened up a couple weeks ago. Tightening the bolts removed 75 percent of the shake at idle. I’m now leaning toward the torque converter out of balance a tad. If the 318’s are in fact internally balanced and the 318 didn’t use a balanced torque converter. That’s my problem. Because someone previous to me swapped 360 into a 318 car. It’s the originally tranny and appears to be original torque converter. Based on looking through the bell housing. The shake is very small at idle. If you observe the rear of the body you can see the back end shake a tad. I’ve talked to several people concerning a larger cam creating a small shake. And most people agree that a larger cam will create a minimal engine shake at idle. Regardless, how well you tune the carb, timing, etc. I just wanted to evaluate the balancer.

Last edited:
Yes, the 318 is internally balanced.
I bet that’s my problem then. Someone swapped 360 into a 318 torque converter that wasn’t balanced for a 360. My logical thinking, anyway. That or the flex plate isn’t balanced for a 360. Does anyone have a picture of a stock 318 flex plate and stock 318 converter ?

from the factory...a stock 318 flexplate is the same as stock 360 flexplate...as the factory put the balance weights on converter..

Last picture shows a little weld on balance weight on the lower side of the converter.

-
Back