904 transmission bolt up to 318

-

red_duster74

Reaction score
I tore up my flex plate so I needed to drop the transmission to put a new plate in. As I go to align the transmission back up, the bell housing is about half an inch to an inch off from the engine bolt holes. No matter what I do it will not move in further. I think the torque converter is not 100% in. The torque converter bolt pads are in line with the bellhousing. I know that is not right. Any tricks to get the torque converter all the way in? I cannot push it in any further even when rotating it. How can I tell that it is 100% in? Any help is much appreciated. Many hours spend under the car in frustration.

Mike

They typically "thunk" twice. One for both sets of splines.
Its clearly not on if your that far off. It obviously has to be inset to the bell by the same amount that the flexplate protrudes from the rear of the engine. If you are doing this under the car, you probably aren't 100 percent square, and haven't gotten it on both sets of splines.

And/or, the center hub isnt lined up with the crank snout...but we are talking only a half inch there

It will go just be patient and keep turning or spinning with light pressure.

Also the flexplate has an offset bolt...so hope you marked which way it actually goes on...guarantee it will be the 4th combo you try if not...ask me how I learned that one lol

if the converter is seated...moving it back n forth you should hear a clack...clack noise...that is the hub on the converter hitting the pump gear....

Thanks guys, I got the transmission on my workbench. Going to continue to turn and try and get the converter 100% seated. There is some lateral play in the converter at its current position. Not sure if that is any indication of anything.

I've had to spin them a while and often change directions and then all of the sudden... THUNK!

I got the new torque converter on. Thanks guys. Just kept spinning it and pushing and it worked. The seal looks good. Dry and no cracks on it. I went with a Hughes 27-25 converter (2500 stall).

I got the new torque converter on. Thanks guys. Just kept spinning it and pushing and it worked. The seal looks good. Dry and no cracks on it. I went with a Hughes 27-25 converter (2500 stall).

Looks good to the eye means nothing. I would never put a new converter in without installing a new seal. Heat and time dry them out and their a time bomb waiting to blow. Learned that the hard way when I was 17

Incidentally, you know the converter is all the way in if the flexplate lugs are about 1/2" below the surface of the bellhousing.

Looks good to the eye means nothing. I would never put a new converter in without installing a new seal. Heat and time dry them out and their a time bomb waiting to blow. Learned that the hard way when I was 17

X2

-
Back