904 witchcraft

-
And you sure could not rotate the driveshaft by hand

The drive shaft is locked in park...and free in any other position. It CAN be rotated in any position EXCEPT park.

There is no torque-over...(i assume you are refering to it acting like its ingear..but also in park? Like a in gear with frozen drums)

Last edited:
With the lack of fluid flowing out the cooler line..arent we back to the pump?
Maybe;
in Neutral
Could be a plugged filter, a misaligned manual valve. the main pressure regulator.the relief valve. the TC control regulator. or a faulty cooler, depending on which side was pulled off.
In Park
skip the misaligned manual valve cuz it is dumping anyway. And because of that, all the pressures are way down.

Volume is not pressure. In Park, very little oll is actually entering the TC, and so very little would be coming out, and whatever is coming out, is dumping into the pan anyway

From the pump, the bulk of oil flow goes to the main regulator, then the manual valve,
From the manual valve it gets distributed to all the other circuits, as the valve calls for.
In reverse, the pressure is unregulated; whatever the pump can put out, the whole circuit gets it. In reverse; from the manual valve, the circuit goes to the hi-drum, and simultaneously to the L/R servo. If one of those is defective, it will hemorrhage fluid, and the pressure will drop like a rock off the tower of Piza. Of those two, the L/R servo has been known to pop out of it's cavity. When this happens the pressure plummets and the L/R band no longer works. That circuit should have 230 to 260psi @1600rpm. If it doesn't even come close, then you have to suspect, one of those two. You can fix the L/R servo from dropping the pan.
If you have any pressure in that circuit at all,even with the servo popped out, then the pump is working.
If you have NO pressure in that circuit,then the pump is likely faulty.
As for the hi-drum; if it is faulty, the trans has to come down. But if ONLY the hi-drum is faulty, you should still have all gears except reverse and third.
And if ONLY the L/R servo is not working but not hemorrhaging, you might never know it because the trans will still drive thru the sprag.
There is no way for oil to get out of the TC except thru the cooler. If the cooler was plugged. the TC pressure would rise, but there is no way to check it.
The hi-pressure relief is set to ~275psi. If the reverse circuit is working right, you can rev it up and check your max pressure. If it climbs to about that number, then you know there is nothing wrong with that circuit. The TC control valve could still be stuck, preventing oil flow into the TC, and that would cause a no-drive situation , and yes, I have seen a few stuck TC control valves. This too can be fixed from the pan.
The point is this; 5 minutes after starting the engine with a pressure gauge on the L/R circuit, you will know if the trans has to come down or not.
If you just take it down with no testing, then your rebuilder has no idea what to look for, except by what answers are given to his questions.
So maybe the trans needs to come down, and maybe not, IDK. But the pressure test would clue me in right quick. At age 67, I'm not interested in pulling an auto down, if I don't have to.

BTW,
once the pan is off, and the VB is down, then you can air-test all those clutches and servos ....... from the pan, and that will tell you AGAIN, if the trans has to come down ..... or not. Sortof like a second witness, but this test has more authority to it.
In your driveway, taking the trans down is an all-afternoon affair. Putting it back in, is another afternoon. And you need a box of tools and a jack, and probably a helper.
Oil-pressure testing, in your driveway, is an hour or less, unless you might have a physical handicap. And you need one wrench,or two at most, and a helper on the gas-pedal she won't even get dirty.
I know what I would be doing.

Last edited:
It's his car..so..if he's dead set on yankin the tranny...then go for it! Me; I'm still drinkin coffee and eatin donuts!

It's his car..so..if he's dead set on yankin the tranny...then go for it! Me; I'm still drinkin coffee and eatin donuts!

Never said i was dead set on yanking it unless i had to. Im i huge fan of work smarter not harder...and untill very recently my doc limited me to 30lb lifting max. Ive been damn near bed ridden for 14 months. I lost over 40 lbs (mostly muscle) from being almost completely sedentary. I had surgury a few months ago to put me back to "normal"...so im building up...and trying to do all that crap i couldnt do for the previous year+. And im only 48.

You both have excellent ideas...and with me being someone who listens before forming my own opinion...between all that you both shared from your obviously deep carnal knowledge on the subject...i have a direction to follow.

Im going to take that bet...i just ran it again...and got a real good drop in fluid level between engine off and on.

So down with the pan...and search for carnage...while im at it ill drop the VB and air check it..inspect the servo etc...and go from there.

Will advise on findings

Pan is down...nothing in the pan but a little pile of dark material..no bright metal flakes...im letting it drip for a while

Its still dripping pretty good...but i will say...im pretty sure i shouldnt be able to slide the manual valve half way out with my fingers when its in park...either the tab on the comb bent or broke.

If it bent...bend it back? Or replace?

Going to pull the VB in a few hours.

Last edited:
Bend it back, but split the vb to make the adjustment. Loosen the vb to case bolts to let it drain..otherwise you'll have a 4 quart mess when you try to take it out.

The tf2 kit will have a new manual valve and the measurements to go along with the adjustment of it, so I'm thinking this is a no brainer.

Well well well...3 fwd gears...and even reverse...clean firm shifts...solid engagement.
I went a little overboard on the TV valve grinding...probably 1/16th more than i should have...so i need to tighten the cable a little bit and it should smooth out. I didnt go nuts driving cause i still need to add the cooler..just around the block a couple times. Interestingly the plate was already drilled out...as was the passage that the drill plate gives you. Almost looked like it may never have been there...or made that way. There was a number stamped out of the plate on the passenger side.."156" and the vb was "155"...anyone know if theres any significance? And the rear band was the 3 strap type (double wound?) And significance with that? Stronger weaker? The rear piston spring was purple ...replaced with the "plain" spring from the kit.

So the voodoo has been quelled...now time to tune it...big changes since i last drove it....
Lunati Voodoo hydraulic part# "703"
Elgin lifters
TFS pushrods
PRW stainless rollers
Comp double row roller chain/sprockets
Air gap intake
Second hand Eddie heads
Headers and full 2.5 inch exhaust with chambered mufflers

Yeah the mufflers already wore out their welcome...either i need to add resonators or swap to super turbos..cops gonna be on me like flies on S#it.

In the old days when they had a rear pump we'd just push 'em a little bit, and if it was the front pump that was bad the car would drive away from the push car. If it wouldn't drive away then we knew the tranny had gone South.....

In the old days when they had a rear pump we'd just push 'em a little bit, and if it was the front pump that was bad the car would drive away from the push car. If it wouldn't drive away then we knew the tranny had gone South.....
Mine used to go north but I was facing the other side of the street...

-
Back