A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
If you spray it yourself and don't like the results, you can always get it redone later. I could see $15 grand maybe if it were on a rotisserie and you were looking for a show job top to bottom, but not to refinish just the exterior. But maybe I'm out of touch on prices, just got a price to re chrome a front and rear bumper for my '72 RR,,,$1750. From the work I have seen you do on the car so far, I have no doubts that you could refinish the car your self.

Hey Alex, John got his 67 Galaxie painted somewhere in Denver for around $4k. That had quite a bit of metallic or pearl in it, looks amazing! You might wanna give him a call on where the shop is, he can't remember the name of the shop.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Honestly, I am not in a panic over this elevated quote. It is what it is and he won't be painting my car. I'll know what to do as the pieces all fall in place. This Monday the 2nd, my business www.F150Lifts.com is moving out of my 3 car garage and into the new commercial space, which will empty my 3 car garage and give me much more room to work on the Duster. I am expecting the engine block to be finished and ready to pick up soon. So, assembly of the 408 short block will happen next. Not too worried, I always believe everything happens for a reason.

Brian, I'm with you, we could show up and everyone bring you favorite color. Alex, paint it your self, easy.

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

Yup, probably paint it myself. I appreciate the votes of confidence! Dave your car looks awesome! Yes, I will paint it myself.

Last edited:
Ok, Painting it myself, decision made. It needs one more coat of epoxy primer and then some 2K primer and blocking. I'll get going on this phase.

With this decision I don't have to worry about it being lost in "body shop jail" for a year, as has happened to me before and to others.....it also allows me to install the engine asap, and eliminates the worry's of taking a running car over to a paint shop and leaving it there for who knows how long.

Last edited:
Still collecting parts as the wait continues for my block to be finished. Ignition system should be ready to deliver spark. Printed out wiring for use with FiTech system. Two wire dizzy, will be locking out advance with wire.

IMG_3186 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

With all the great reviews I decided I am going to go with FiTech EFI. So, I needed to figure out the fuel delivery. FiTech makes their Command Center that sits in the engine bay, but that option never really appealed to me, it doesn't look good IMO. After researching I ordered the Aeromotive Phantom 340 in tank system. Here is a video that explains the install.

Here is the kit: aei-18688_xl by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I will be pulling the tank back out and doing a recess in the tank like the pictures:

df5ed1c3-d566-4797-9b8a-7ec0c9d415e1_zpsar0xl15i by Alexl5280, on Flickr

4a4c5bbe-9f60-432b-aa8f-585fb6ed8315_zps0gugrmul by Alexl5280, on Flickr

If you do the same mods to the tank as the aeromotive pump needs you can put a pump/sending unit in from a more modern vehicle and if the pump goes out you can get one at a parts store instead of ordering one.

I'll see if I can find a link to the one a guy here on FABO did

Here it is. I think this if what I plan on doing only I'll be using the LS1 pump mentioned later in the thread.

Mounted the factory fuel pump

Last edited:
I bought the same fuel pump for my Duster with the 5.7 Hemi. I'm having a local guy make me an aluminum fuel tank with a step down in top. I'm cutting the spare tire well out, and making the trunk floor flat....so I'm gonna get the tank made longer, and with the bottom tapering up towards the rear. I shopped around a little, and was amazed at the price differences on that fuel pump! Hopefully, it won't sound like a coffee grinder! lol :eek:

Wow! That did open up a lot! Now you can park the car sideways across the 2 bays and really have room to work on it!! :thumbsup:

Pulled tank today, removed the sending unit, float was full of gas. I'll plan the cutting when the Aeromotive Kit arrives. Peeked in the inside of the tank....wow it is in awesome condition, no rust or scale! The black stuff is pieces of the gas tank mat that stuck to the tank when I put it back in the last time. Tracking says the Aeromotive Kit arrives tomorrow or Thursday the 12th.

IMG_3197 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Aeromotive in tank fuel pump kit arrived. I changed my mind again...I am not going to modify the tank with a lowered recess panel, I will cut a panel out in the trunk floor and raise it instead. This will give me access to the pump without dropping the tank should I ever need access.

Last edited:
Marked up a 3 1/4" square/target where I think I want the hole, and went for it. Used the two long bolts included in the kit the keep the template from turning as you drill the rest of the holes. Happy with the results, now to clean the tank of the metal shavings and install pump.
IMG_3207 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3208 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3209 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3210 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Placed the supplied aluminum template/baffle install tool in the hole and installed foam baffle.

IMG_3212 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Why is there Red RTV there? Placed the aluminum piece back in the hole.

IMG_3213 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Put a dab of Red RTV along the rim

IMG_3214 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Hoisted tank into position....Red RTV shows me just where I need to drill through the trunk floor. Caveman ingenuity!

IMG_3215 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

So from underneath the car I marked a square about an inch or so outside of my RTV marks (to be squared up from inside the trunk). Then I drilled out the parameter of the square, then put light under the car so I could see the drilled square, and then squared up the cut line. I peeled off the DynaMat so I could see better where to cut. With a 3" cut off saw and a sawzall, I have my EFI relief/inspection hole.

IMG_3217 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3219 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_3220 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

-
Back