A Body Lost Trunk Key

-

noisydart

Reaction score
1967 Barracuda Fastback. Trunk plywood partition is in the up position.
Trunk key is lost. How do I get into the trunk? Drill, Pull, Pick ?
Don't want to bend the middle of the trunk panel.
Thanks !

Call a locksmith...or you can carefully pound a small parallel tip screw screwdriver into the key slot and open. Of course, you will have to buy a new key and lockset.

You MIGHT be able to use a thin screwdriver or hacksaw blade to pop down the latch for the divider board. The latch will either be 1 in the middle or there could be 2(hope not).

DO NOT pound a screwdriver into the lock cylinder. Only idiots do that stuff.

Get a locksmith to open the trunk. Call around and find someone willing to do it for a reasonable price. It is easy for them to do, like a few minutes of time. Bonus if you can drive the car to them.

I was at a tow auction and a locksmith could make a key on a few minutes. He put a key black in vice grips, put in lock and wiggled side to side then looked at and filed on the key. About 5 times and the key worked. Friggen amazing.

Call a locksmith or take a chainsaw and cut a hole through the divider board to get to lock.

Get a locksmith ,,,,easiest thing you will ever do .
Drive it there,,,,he can look at it and make a key in 5 minutes ,,,really !

Years ago I had a brand new box with a missing key,,,,was recommended to get a locksmith .
He climbed inside my truck,,,,looked in the lock barrel with something like what doctors look in your ear with .
He looked in the lock for 5 seconds,,,,thought about it,,,,looked inside 5 more seconds .
Then he literally took a key blank and a file using his knee for a bench top .
Took him about 25 seconds,,,,maybe !
Then he took the key and twisted it,,,,nope,,,,,needed a little more,,,,,10 more seconds and the lock was open .

After that I realized that if any locksmith was a crook,,,,there was nothing you could do to stop him !

Get a locksmith ,,,,money and trouble saved ,,,,,no damage to any body panels .

Tommy

Yep, one with a 36" bar and big motor. :D
Sounds like a Binford 14000cc with 50 hp
1723239868653.png

I tried the tiny screwdriver at the top of the trunk extension.
The car is not running yet, so I can't drive to a locksmith yet

Get a locksmith ,,,,easiest thing you will ever do .
Drive it there,,,,he can look at it and make a key in 5 minutes ,,,really !

Years ago I had a brand new box with a missing key,,,,was recommended to get a locksmith .
He climbed inside my truck,,,,looked in the lock barrel with something like what doctors look in your ear with .
He looked in the lock for 5 seconds,,,,thought about it,,,,looked inside 5 more seconds .
Then he literally took a key blank and a file using his knee for a bench top .
Took him about 25 seconds,,,,maybe !
Then he took the key and twisted it,,,,nope,,,,,needed a little more,,,,,10 more seconds and the lock was open .

After that I realized that if any locksmith was a crook,,,,there was nothing you could do to stop him !

Get a locksmith ,,,,money and trouble saved ,,,,,no damage to any body panels .

Tommy
The guy who lived across from us is a locksmith. They did all kinds of access stuff. My son lost his tool chest key. He looked at it opened the van. Has tons of key blanks, and a key machine on a desk. Made a key. Touched it up a few times. If I needed a key and had original I could call him with a number. He could do keys with out a key from wherever he was and toss um in my mail box when he got home. Locks keep honest folks out.

He'll come to you. May cost $50. Pick your poison.
I noticed the OP is in Los Angeles. I'd bet it would be closer to $200 for a locksmith house call.

For that, I'd be inclined to drill it out and buy a new lock cylinder. Or maybe he has AAA?

1. If you use the Big *** Screwdriver method you will likely spin the lock body damaging the trunk sheet metal rounding over the keyways that keep the lock body from rotating.
  2. If you have a locking glovebox the key should be the same, remove it and take that to the locksmith to have a key made.

I noticed the OP is in Los Angeles. I'd bet it would be closer to $200 for a locksmith house call.

For that, I'd be inclined to drill it out and buy a new lock cylinder. Or maybe he has AAA?
Well a phone call would remove all of the speculation.

I agree with the glove box method listed before me. Some locksmiths use a smoking method for these. They burn a key blank with a match until it gets a black coating on it , stick it back in the lock and turn it. The pins leave an impression on the blank and then they file away. Pretty neat actually. I haven't done it quite awhile. Some days I could do it less than 10 minutes and some days I'd struggle. The same with picking locks for me though. Good luck and hopefully someone will do it for a reasonable price for you.

There is also a bump key.

I saw it used on YouTube and made one myself and in 30 seconds I unlocked my front door.

Very scarry how easy it was.

1. If you use the Big *** Screwdriver method you will likely spin the lock body damaging the trunk sheet metal rounding over the keyways that keep the lock body from rotating.
  2. If you have a locking glovebox the key should be the same, remove it and take that to the locksmith to have a key made.
Except that the glove box lock usually uses less pins than the trunk lock. IIRC 3 wafers instead of 5 pins. If the gas tank is out and there's no spare, you can go through the trunk floor plugs with ratchet, extensions, and wobble socket to unbolt the latch. Sometimes a slight pry on the upper part of the divider panel will release the latch(es). Drilling out the trunk lock is an easy, fast, and cheap way to do it. New trunk lock kits are cheap and easy to find. Just keep the tail piece rod off the old one to put on the new if you can. I have a whole huge ring of used trunk keys that I used to try and get a trunk open. I usually found one that would work if you fiddled with it enough.

I'll add-

Try a trunk key from another car.

There's something like a 1 in 400 chance.
Even better odds if the lock is loose or the key is.

Vintage Mopar is the fewest possible combinations of the big three.

I'll add-

I believe there are 720 combinations, but, some are not used of course....like all the same pins front to back.

100% agree with this! I lost my trunk key, and coincidentally the key from 1 of rhe 3 spare trunk locks I had was the correct key. If you have any Mopar buddies, have them aĺ come over with their trunk keys. It's worth a shot. Not too many different ones were used.

Cley

I'll add-

-
Back