A Body Suspension Set up

-

Illahe

Mopower
Reaction score
Hello All,

Trying to improve my 60' times. 4 Spd 2.47:1 1st gear. 69 dart with SS springs and /6 torsion bars. Competition engineering shocks on all 4 corners. Is there a preferable stance that the car should be set at for weight transfer? I have no issues with traction 10" Hoosiers on 8 inch rims., with 3.91:1 spool. The car doesn't seem to "squat" on launch, rather pushes forward.

If it’s already hooking, it’s all about clutch management to get the car to leave as hard as your wallet will allow
Thank you. Does the average set up sit level? The dart is slightly nose down, or is that insignificant.

Thank you. Does the average set up sit level? The dart is slightly nose down, or is that insignificant.

It matters. You need double adjustable shocks. And an adjustable clutch, or get ahold of @weedburner and get a Clutch Tamer from him.

Then you work in your clutch and shock tuning.

If you car is under 2600 pounds you are marginal on starting line ratio. And that’s being as kind as I can be. Oh the hell with it. Your SLR sucks buttermilk through a straw.

You have a 9.6577 overall first gear. That’s your starting line ratio. That has to go up unless your car is very light. You are at least 3 points low.

Even with a 3.09 first gear box, you’d be barely over 12:1. These are not automatics. Do not listen to guys who haven’t raced a stick car since Methuselah roamed the earth.

Clutch and shock technology is so much better today than it was even 20 years ago it’s not funny.

Also, if you don’t have a 2 step working off the clutch pedal, get one. I didn’t use one before but when the car goes back it I’ll hook up the 2 step.

Between the clutch, 2 step and the shocks you have a ton of tuning options. One change at a time.

You want to hit the tire as hard as the tire will allow. One of these days I may post a video I took of a car at the track.

He has his Caltrac bars way too high. He had a steel flywheel and it didn’t need all that FW weight.

And it smashed the tire so hard the bead is the only thing keeping the wheel off the track.

I’m a little gun shy to post it. I never asked him if I could publish it. I don’t want to embarrass him because that’s not what it’s about.

But I could teach a clinic on why his car was beating the tire to death.

The application of the clutch is critical. If you have no way to control the application of the clutch you’ll never go faster.

A pickoff your time slip would be worth looking at.

If the car tops out the nose smoothly without upsetting the car. Your ride height is currently OK? When you start hitting it harder it might top out too quickly and upset it. If you can’t slow it down with the shock, lowering ride height might help. Delaying the topping out, but it should be really controlled with the shock.

It matters. You need double adjustable shocks. And an adjustable clutch, or get ahold of @weedburner and get a Clutch Tamer from him.

Then you work in your clutch and shock tuning.

If you car is under 2600 pounds you are marginal on starting line ratio. And that’s being as kind as I can be. Oh the hell with it. Your SLR sucks buttermilk through a straw.

You have a 9.6577 overall first gear. That’s your starting line ratio. That has to go up unless your car is very light. You are at least 3 points low.

Even with a 3.09 first gear box, you’d be barely over 12:1. These are not automatics. Do not listen to guys who haven’t raced a stick car since Methuselah roamed the earth.

Clutch and shock technology is so much better today than it was even 20 years ago it’s not funny.

Also, if you don’t have a 2 step working off the clutch pedal, get one. I didn’t use one before but when the car goes back it I’ll hook up the 2 step.

Between the clutch, 2 step and the shocks you have a ton of tuning options. One change at a time.

You want to hit the tire as hard as the tire will allow. One of these days I may post a video I took of a car at the track.

He has his Caltrac bars way too high. He had a steel flywheel and it didn’t need all that FW weight.

And it smashed the tire so hard the bead is the only thing keeping the wheel off the track.

I’m a little gun shy to post it. I never asked him if I could publish it. I don’t want to embarrass him because that’s not what it’s about.

But I could teach a clinic on why his car was beating the tire to death.

The application of the clutch is critical. If you have no way to control the application of the clutch you’ll never go faster.

A pickoff your time slip would be worth looking at.
Thanks for the response. I read the instructions on the clutch tamer and the product makes a lot of sense.

As far as initial gear ratio goes, I had run 4.30:1 last year and the car ran out of tire on the top end. How does tire diameter play into starting line ratio.

I'll have to gather the time slips with the latest combination.

The car runs a steel flywheel with a sintered copper clutch disc, from a semi friction relining shop.

Anyone have a line on small block engine pullies of different diameters like this photo.

IMG_1406.jpg

Thanks for the response. I read the instructions on the clutch tamer and the product makes a lot of sense.

As far as initial gear ratio goes, I had run 4.30:1 last year and the car ran out of tire on the top end. How does tire diameter play into starting line ratio.

I'll have to gather the time slips with the latest combination.

The car runs a steel flywheel with a sintered copper clutch disc, from a semi friction relining shop.

With a Clutch Tamer your clutch should be tunable enough that it will work.

Tire diameter only plays a part in starting line ratio in that a taller tire with the same trap RPM then you can run a lower rear axle ratio (higher numerically) which increases the SLR.

If you can’t drop the rear axle ratio (higher numerically) the you need to find a 2.66 or better yet a 3.09 box. That the best improvement you can make to your SLR.

If you can’t find a complete 3.09 box, you can call Brewers and buy the gears and cluster gears. It’s easy working on 4 speeds.

To make a 4 (or 5) speed car move you need the correct SLR and you NEED to be able to tune the clutch.
A 9 or 10 or even an 11:1 SLR is pretty low. I’m at 15:1 and for my car that’s a bit low, but like you I can’t tolerate any more gear.

In fact, I went to a 28 inch tire so I could take out the 4.56’s and use 4.88’s.

I needed the SLR and in my opinion, a 4.56 is the last of the street/strip gears for cars that can’t get a 28 inch tall tire in there.

That allowed me to go from a 14:1 SLR to 15:1 and being the freak I am, I wanted that point of SLR. Because it matters.

The CT allows you to CONTROL the APPLICATION of the clutch. If you can’t do that you might as well stand at your car door and slam your head in the for an hour.

If it sounds like I’m a bit fired up it’s because when I started doing this in 1979 and back then no one would open their mouths to help.

Back then, the clutch people I was using were morons. Now I use Advanced Clutches or Black Magic clutches.

I don’t dick with anyone else any more. Tim Hyatt was a clutch guru but he died and I think at some point his son took over. If that is the case I’d assume he’s as good as his dad was.

If you are talking to anyone, and I don’t give a jack screw if it’s Bob Glidden or Warren Johnson and they say “you have to SLIP the clutch turn and RUN AWAY.

They don’t have a clue as to what they are talking about. I know BG and WJ would NEVER make such an ignorant statement, but I wanted to make a point.

Listening to rail birds and converter guys is just wasting your time.

That’s the fact. The controlled APLICATION of the clutch is the deal. You have to do it.

Dealing with my dad today but later I’ll post the video I referenced earlier as a lesson in how to do it exactly wrong.

What you will learn in that video will change the way you think about clutches and how they actually work when trying to go fast. Or at least have fun.

Last edited:

Tire diameter only plays a part in starting line ratio in that a taller tire with the same trap RPM then you can run a lower rear axle ratio (higher numerically) which increases the SLR.

If you can’t drop the rear axle ratio (higher numerically) the you need to find a 2.66 or better yet a 3.09 box. That the best improvement you can make to your SLR.

If you can’t find a complete 3.09 box, you can call Brewers and buy the gears and cluster gears. It’s easy working on 4 speeds.

To make a 4 (or 5) speed car move you need the correct SLR and you NEED to be able to tune the clutch.
A 9 or 10 or even an 11:1 SLR is pretty low. I’m at 15:1 and for my car that’s a bit low, but like you I can’t tolerate any more gear.

In fact, I went to a 28 inch tire so I could take out the 4.56’s and use 4.88’s.

I needed the SLR and in my opinion, a 4.56 is the last of the street/strip gears for cars that can’t get a 28 inch tall tire in there.

That allowed me to go from a 14:1 SLR to 15:1 and being the freak I am, I wanted that point of SLR. Because it matters.

If it sounds like I’m a bit fired up it’s because when I started doing this in 1979 and back then no one would open their mouths to help.

Back then, the clutch people I was using were morons. Now I use Advanced Clutches or Black Magic clutches.

I don’t dick with anyone else any more. Tim Hyatt was a clutch guru but he died and I think at some point his son took over. If that is the case I’d assume he’s as good as his dad was.

If you are talking to anyone, and I don’t give a jack screw if it’s Bob Glidden or Warren Johnson and they say “you have to SLIP the clutch turn and RUN AWAY.

They don’t have a clue as to what they are talking about. I know BG and WJ would NEVER make such an ignorant statement, but I wanted to make a point.

That’s the fact. The controlled APLICATION of the clutch is the deal. You have to do it.

Dealing with my dad today but later I’ll post the video I referenced earlier as a lesson in how to do it exactly wrong.

What you will learn in that video will change the way you think about clutches and how they actually work when trying to go fast. Or at least have fun.
Thank you,

I have a 2.66:1 box I just built and spoke with Dan about 3.09 gears and cluster set up. With the clutch tamer It seems face-
plating would be the way to go., as I don't power shift the stock synchro... Though Robert Landy did state; " Dad would either get the gear of crush them..."

We're running an average air density of 6200' if that plays into the combination. 11.75:1 365ci with 242/242@ .050 single plane and Cast Iron heads. 750 CFM. Manual secondary's.

Rt. 60'
.05 1.889
.202 2.037
.003 2.52
.239 2.029

My first Mcleod Soft-loc clutch was set up by Tim Hyatt, aluminum flywheel, 10" long P.P. with an aluminum pressure ring, 10" disc. When it need to be rebuilt ( after Tim passed away) I sent it off to Black Magic, what a big difference in clutch setups. Tim's clutch was setup with more base and a little centrifugal to lock it up in high gear. Black Magic clutch was set up with very little base pressure and heavy on the centrifugal. Tims clutch set up was a lot faster tuning window than Black Magics. But once I figured out the tuning windows on both clutches the car 60' footed the same and when I ran the Clutch Tamer in between rebuilds once I figured out the tuning on that, the the car 60' footed the same as the other clutches.
Moral of this story is like Turk said SLR and clutch management is everything in the first 60 feet.

I have a 2.66:1 box I just built and spoke with Dan about 3.09 gears and cluster set up. With the clutch tamer It seems face-
plating would be the way to go., as I don't power shift the stock synchro... Though Robert Landy did state; " Dad would either get the gear of crush them..."

If you are doing a street/strip deal and if you can build a transmission (no one really knows what each of our members skill sets but from the way you talk you are far far more than talented enough to…) slick shift a gear box.

For street/strip stuff I just slick shift the transmission. It’s cheap, easy and it works. The difference is for the street side of the transmission I also grind every other clutching tooth off the gear, I do the same for the syncros. Ever other tooth is taken off the slider too.

Then the box is assembled just like a stock transmission with the struts and springs. The damn thing will almost shift itself.

If you have a very heavy clutch disc or you are shifting at 6500 or higher or both, or if you are running a 3.09 box then you can grind every TWO teeth off of second gear and the second gear synchro.

The math of it is there are 36 clutching teeth on the gears and syncros. If you slick shift it, you remove every other tooth. There is 18 teeth less. That’s 50% of the teeth gone and you have 18 teeth left.

If you take off TWO teeth and leave ONE, that’s called Pro Shifting. That leave 12 teeth. You now have removed 66% of the teeth. And you assemble the transmission exactly like a stocker with the syncros, struts and springs.

I’m doing the Pro Shift on second gears because of the rpm and clutches I use, especially with the huge gear split between first and second gear. That big rpm drops can make the transmission a bugger to shift

All it takes is a grinder and some 1/2 diameter ALUMINUM OXIDE grinding stones. The AO stones cut those hard assed gears pretty quickly. I haven’t found a better stone for grinding those gears. They cut them like butter. A sharp carbide will cut the syncros like butter.

That’s way cheaper than face plating, especially if you can do the grinding.

FWIW I don’t take any teeth off first gear or the syncro because…well there’s no need to. I even leave the syncro in there with all its teeth. And that saves grinding. And grinding sucks but it works.

Now I forgot what the point of all this was. Oh yeah, face plating.

If you do the gear box like I’ve outlined, the transmission will up and down shift like a stocker. It will also stay in gear like a stocker. A slick or pro shifted box WILL pop out of gear when you let off the throttle. Even just a skosh of throttle reduction.

If you do the syncro’s too and put them together as above, it will stay in gear when you let off the throttle. That makes then drive very nice on the street.

Dammit, I forgot to mention if you do leave all the teeth on first (I always leave them on now) you only grind the teeth off the slider just under half way across the slider. Leave all the teeth on the first gear side of the slider. If you look at the slider you’ll see a little dip or dimple half way across.

You want to leave the dimple there on the second gear side. It makes neutral feel a little bit tighter.

That transmission will shift as high as you feel like turning it.

If you miss a shift and ***** up a gear or just hurt one, you can send the gear back to Liberty Gears and the can grind all teeth off and they weld on a ring. You can still use the 1-2 slider if you ***** second gear. If you kill third and/or fourth you can’t reuse the slider if you did the slick shift on them. The tooth count will be wrong.

If for some reason you decide to pro shift third and forth then you can reuse that slider if you hurt a gear and need Liberty to add shift rings to them. I think that’s what Liberty calls them.

If you face plate them after hurting a gear I think you can reuse the sliders but you’d need to call Liberty and see what they say.

Anyway this is way too long but you may not need to do any of this. It’s just good to know you can easily make one of the boxes shift at any rpm you can stand by the simple process of slick or pro shifting.

If you are doing a street/strip deal and if you can build a transmission (no one really knows what each of our members skill sets but from the way you talk you are far far more than talented enough to…) slick shift a gear box.

For street/strip stuff I just slick shift the transmission. It’s cheap, easy and it works. The difference is for the street side of the transmission I also grind every other clutching tooth off the gear, I do the same for the syncros. Ever other tooth is taken off the slider too.

Then the box is assembled just like a stock transmission with the struts and springs. The damn thing will almost shift itself.

If you have a very heavy clutch disc or you are shifting at 6500 or higher or both, or if you are running a 3.09 box then you can grind every TWO teeth off of second gear and the second gear synchro.

The math of it is there are 36 clutching teeth on the gears and syncros. If you slick shift it, you remove every other tooth. There is 18 teeth less. That’s 50% of the teeth gone and you have 18 teeth left.

If you take off TWO teeth and leave ONE, that’s called Pro Shifting. That leave 12 teeth. You now have removed 66% of the teeth. And you assemble the transmission exactly like a stocker with the syncros, struts and springs.

I’m doing the Pro Shift on second gears because of the rpm and clutches I use, especially with the huge gear split between first and second gear. That big rpm drops can make the transmission a bugger to shift

All it takes is a grinder and some 1/2 diameter ALUMINUM OXIDE grinding stones. The AO stones cut those hard assed gears pretty quickly. I haven’t found a better stone for grinding those gears. They cut them like butter. A sharp carbide will cut the syncros like butter.

That’s way cheaper than face plating, especially if you can do the grinding.

FWIW I don’t take any teeth off first gear or the syncro because…well there’s no need to. I even leave the syncro in there with all its teeth. And that saves grinding. And grinding sucks but it works.

Now I forgot what the point of all this was. Oh yeah, face plating.

If you do the gear box like I’ve outlined, the transmission will up and down shift like a stocker. It will also stay in gear like a stocker. A slick or pro shifted box WILL pop out of gear when you let off the throttle. Even just a skosh of throttle reduction.

If you do the syncro’s too and put them together as above, it will stay in gear when you let off the throttle. That makes then drive very nice on the street.

Dammit, I forgot to mention if you do leave all the teeth on first (I always leave them on now) you only grind the teeth off the slider just under half way across the slider. Leave all the teeth on the first gear side of the slider. If you look at the slider you’ll see a little dip or dimple half way across.

You want to leave the dimple there on the second gear side. It makes neutral feel a little bit tighter.

That transmission will shift as high as you feel like turning it.

If you miss a shift and ***** up a gear or just hurt one, you can send the gear back to Liberty Gears and the can grind all teeth off and they weld on a ring. You can still use the 1-2 slider if you ***** second gear. If you kill third and/or fourth you can’t reuse the slider if you did the slick shift on them. The tooth count will be wrong.

If for some reason you decide to pro shift third and forth then you can reuse that slider if you hurt a gear and need Liberty to add shift rings to them. I think that’s what Liberty calls them.

If you face plate them after hurting a gear I think you can reuse the sliders but you’d need to call Liberty and see what they say.

Anyway this is way too long but you may not need to do any of this. It’s just good to know you can easily make one of the boxes shift at any rpm you can stand by the simple process of slick or pro shifting.
Thanks for the explanation. I have built a few 833s and understand your description. My comprehension of the 1/2 slider is remove the teeth 1/2 way past the midway of the slider towards the 1st hear side. I like to "entertain" the neighbors on occasion... so the slider is a better option.

As far as shifting RPM it's been my experience that the cam grinders r4ecomend way to short of .050 duration for the 360 La.

Currently I have several assembled and they are slowly gaining power near 6000. I have no abjection shifting above that RPM, as my 340 liked 6700 shifts street racing in the 90's.

For some reason the 360 doesn't "pull" above 5800 as I shifted at 6200 on my last outing and slowed down.

I have a 251/251 .570 on a 105 that's begging to have a go as well as a 248/256 .560 in an EQ headed combo that is going out soon.

Any recommendations on oiling modifications for 6500+ on these cast crank pigs?

Thank you Sir.

Thanks for the explanation. I have built a few 833s and understand your description. My comprehension of the 1/2 slider is remove the teeth 1/2 way past the midway of the slider towards the 1st hear side. I like to "entertain" the neighbors on occasion... so the slider is a better option.

As far as shifting RPM it's been my experience that the cam grinders r4ecomend way to short of .050 duration for the 360 La.

Currently I have several assembled and they are slowly gaining power near 6000. I have no abjection shifting above that RPM, as my 340 liked 6700 shifts street racing in the 90's.

For some reason the 360 doesn't "pull" above 5800 as I shifted at 6200 on my last outing and slowed down.

I have a 251/251 .570 on a 105 that's begging to have a go as well as a 248/256 .560 in an EQ headed combo that is going out soon.

Any recommendations on oiling modifications for 6500+ on these cast crank pigs?

Thank you Sir.

I have some general guidelines I follow. These engines were not designed to run the RPM we run them.

I used to shift my stuff at 8500, but in my advanced age (60 going on 104) I just wouldn’t do that again on ANY block that has OEM Chrysler oiling.

I can make it work, but it’s an effort. If you have an R3 or Ritter block with corrected oiling it’s much easier to shift that high.

I know with a block with correct oiling I would build something in the 365-370 inches and shift it at 9k. I’m too old to service a car like that any more.

It’s a lot of work running a car (with a clutch and using the clutch to shift it) like that and I’m not enamored with jerking the rocker boxes off every pass and running the valves and checking valve springs.

Back to oiling, I’m not a fan of running loose clearances, heavy oil and not correcting all the internal leaks these things have.

The most horrible leaks are at the lifters. If you’ve ever pulled the intake and pan and primed one of these things I think would stagger most people.

That’s ALL oil that doesn’t go to the main and rod bearings.

To that end, I never build an engine with a stock depth pan that’s going over 6500. If for no other reason than an engine that makes more power makes more heat. Oil is CRITICAL for cooling. More oil helps keep the oil a bit cooler.

For me, a deep is a must for 6500 and up. Do guys use stock pans and go higher than 6500? Yup. Have I seen the results? Yup.

Over 7500 I try and find an old Milodon Super Stock pan. The pans show up now and then but most times they don’t have the pick up. You can get a pickup made for those pans but they are not as good as the static and swinging pickups Milodon made.

In my testing, that pan made more power than most and was only SLIGHTLY behind in making power. I think on one of my low 600 hp engines my box pan with a full length kick out was only better above 8k and it was only 10 up at 8800.

That’s a testament to how good those pans are. BUT, the box pan was absolute GARBAGE when it came to oil control.

On the dyno it kicked *** at higher rpm. In the car it would randomly grab a bearing or some weird ****.

The internal baffling was engineered by the same dude who designed playdo. I’m not saying the manufacturer because I’ve bashed them publicly and on the phone many times.

As a brief explanation of the issues is the baffling looked right but at the end of a burnout where the rpm is pretty high for low engine load oil would run away from the pickup and it would snag a bearing.

Then you’d make the pass with a hurt bearing and if I wasn’t 100% that day, out came a rod.

What was even worse was making a pass and slowing down the oil would all run to the front of the pan, it would ***** up a bearing and then on the next burnout it would **** it’s pants in the burnout.

That was 100% pan baffling. I made it work but it was really garbage.

Rear sump pans are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better than mid or front sump pans. Chrysler and Ford missed not only the boat on that but they weren’t even in the right ocean.

Once you get over about 7800 then all rules are off.

Under that you use a deep pan, rear sump preferred, fix the lifter leaks, use full grooved main bearings and a HV/HP pump.

If you are not running pushrod oiling then block all oil to the lifters. Skip the crossover, it doesn’t do jack **** other than get oil from the passenger side oil gallery to the drivers side.

It doesn’t slow down the oil or any other silly nonsense. The crossover is to get oil to the drivers side lifters and that’s IT. Don’t fall for bullshit and trickeration.

I do open up the oil passages from the pump to the main cap and put to the filter. After that I leave all that alone.

I do not ever polish or paint anything. I’ve done it. Polishing the internal surfaces of a block to a sheen is a time consuming, dirty dumb task that does nothing.

I don’t ever paint blocks not because it comes off if done incorrectly but because it doesn’t do anything except burn up money and time. I let the magazine guys do that, but I know some very skilled, talented and smarter guys who do it and swear by it. My testing showed otherwise.

I will grind off some casting flash IF it’s particularly nasty looking. Other that that I holster the grinder.

To lay it out, for under about 7200 I use a deep pan, block off oil to the lifters, full groove mains, HV/HP pump and your good.

You can get by without blocking oil to the lifters but I don’t like not doing it.

Much more rpm and it gets more complicated than this stuff.

Hello All,

Trying to improve my 60' times. 4 Spd 2.47:1 1st gear. 69 dart with SS springs and /6 torsion bars. Competition engineering shocks on all 4 corners. Is there a preferable stance that the car should be set at for weight transfer? I have no issues with traction 10" Hoosiers on 8 inch rims., with 3.91:1 spool. The car doesn't seem to "squat" on launch, rather pushes forward.
Post a video from the side and it'll help us give advice. Minimum I'd do is the Calvert or Ranchero 4x4 adj shocks...leafs hit hard.

-
Back