A body with New Challenger Wheels

-

02sixxer

Reaction score
I have been thinking about wanting to put the New ALCOA wheels from the new Challenger on my 74 Duster. They are 20x9, but I am not sure on the back spacing. I currently have a Ford 9" uder my car with 15x8" and 29x10.5 Tires.

What would I have to do for the rear if anything to make these fit?
What would I have to do to the front if anything?

Does anyone have these on thier A Body? if so can I see pics.

They look funny. I've seen pictures of the yellow Demon with the 5.7 Hemi (GDemon) where he tried 20" wheels off an SRT-8. He said they fit, but it look really cartoonish. Don't remember the thread, maybe search for all posts by "GDemon".

They're too flat. the new wheels dont have much front offset. It's like running 15x6's front and back.

Thanks for the link.

The Challenger SRT8 is a 5x115 or 4.5 bolt pattern. Same as the older Abodies. I was worried about the hubs fitting.

I think I would like the look, still I have not seen any with the 20 inch wheels from the challengers or other SRT8, thos are just RT wheels and one with the SRT 300c wheels, the ALCOA are much better looking, but I dont know how they will look on a 74 duster.

Here's the picture I was talking about. Couldn't find it on the web again so I could link to it, hope Gdemon is ok with me posting it.

FABO-Gdemon7.jpg

The Challenger SRT8 is a 5x115 or 4.5 bolt pattern.

I would be careful with that. I don't agree that 115mm and 4.5" is the same, the math says different. On the other hand, I'm don't think the bolt pattern for the LX based cars is really 115mm. I think when it has been listed it has been rounded to 115mm, when in reality it is 114.3mm, or 4.5". At least that is what my hands on measurements say.

I think the Challenger R/T wheels might look a little bit better. They look like huge Cragar rims. :thumblef: :thumbup: :thumbrig: But they might look a little off on a Duster, Demon or Dart Sport. Might look better on a Valiant, Dart or Scamp. Now what looks better - black or polished?

Wylde1.

Attachments

• mopar-10-challenger-xl.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,476
  • mopar wheel.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,268
  • mopar wheel 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,039
Now I like those. are those the 18" wheels or are they 20's also. I really like the black with the mopar center cap.

Any pictures of these on a 67-69 barracuda floating around? The 20" wheels are just wayyyyyy too big for my taste. JMHO.

Personally I like the 20's in the rear but I dont know about the front.

I did not know cragar made wheels up to 22's.

I like all the rims picutres specialy the all chrome ones from the b5 blue challe

Thanks for the link.

The Challenger SRT8 is a 5x115 or 4.5 bolt pattern. Same as the older Abodies. I was worried about the hubs fitting.

I think I would like the look, still I have not seen any with the 20 inch wheels from the challengers or other SRT8, thos are just RT wheels and one with the SRT 300c wheels, the ALCOA are much better looking, but I dont know how they will look on a 74 duster.

5x115 is actually 5x4.527
5.114.3 is 5x4.5

Why are they advertised as 5x4.5 by Dodge. But when you go to websites to buy the rims they say 5x115 is the rim size for Chargers, Challengers, and 300's. The Avengers and Nitros are 114.3 which are actually 5x4.5. But they are advertised as 5x 144.3 by dodge.

From the other post the 114.3 and 115 will bolt up to each other if I understand it correctly. Right?

Is the original 5 x 4.5 a 5 x 114.3 or not?

Learning here

I don't believe that 114.3 and 115 will interchange. All I am saying is that the two times I have measured an LX wheel, they have both come up as 114.3 or 4.5". I think they are listed incorrectly as 115mm.

I can tell you that the LX wheels are 5 x 4.5, and I'm using them on my 74 Dart with no problems.
I'm also using a set of 5 x 4.5 LX wheels on my 5 x 4.5 Dodge Intrepid, and have been for many thousands of miles, with no ill effects.
There is some kind of boogeyman feeling here on FABO about trying to use the modern LX wheels on our old cars. I've proven that it can be done, and I'm still living and breathing to tell about it...

A 5x115 will fit on a 5x4.5 and vice versa. They are not the same size but they are close enough that it's hard to even tell the difference. You are talking less then a milimeter! I bet the modern LX cars use bigger studs too which will make even more room on the older cars (I just looked it up the LX studs are .55 in compared to .5 on a 73 up A body). The only problem is sometimes the hub hole isn't big enough or the front dust caps stick out too far for the center cap. They can be machined or use spacers on the front. I'm not talking specifically about the LX wheels here but some after market 17s I had laying around.

I have some black steel 17x7s on my 69 dart, they came with hubcaps off a magnum. I think they look pretty good, like a modern police wheel. As long as you get the right size tires fitment is not an issue. The difference in bolt patterns is so small it does not matter. If you were to take 5x 4.5 wheels and measure several wheels the difference in each one would probably be more than that of a new style wheel in some cases. There are allowable tolerances with any mechanical part.

The difference in bolt patterns is so small it does not matter.

I don't agree that it is so small it doesn't matter. The below picture would say different, it's easy to see the mismatch with the naked eye. That isn't to say that I think you can't run LX wheels on an early car, though.

The below picture is a 115mm gauge on an 2006 LX wheel. I do not believe the LX wheels are 115mm, I think that is a piece of incorrect info that has been spread far and wide. Kind of like the belief that "seperation of church and state" is in the Constitution. Say (or print) something enough and people will believe it's true.

0_IMAGE_072a.jpg

Your gauge isn't any different than the wheels, there are allowable tolerances. Try to imagine the factory where the wheels or wheel gauges are made and a the quality of the laborers. Now, imagine an employee saying boss its 1/2 a MM to big, lets throw it away, how would a business survive like that. There are a ton of variables as to why there are different sizes that are supposed to be the same size. You need a CALIBRATED micrometer , not your eyes to see the difference. I have seen metal, using a micrometer on aircraft parts, expand and contract that much with small temperature changes. Have you ever heated/chilled a part for removal or installation?

Your nifty plastic gauge is not the end all of this topic, sorry.

Ask any engineer that deals with manufacturing of metal parts.

If you want me to go on about tolerances I can but, the point is I use the wheels.

Your gauge isn't any different than the wheels, there are allowable tolerances. Try to imagine the factory where the wheels or wheel gauges are made and a the quality of the laborers. Now, imagine an employee saying boss its 1/2 a MM to big, lets throw it away, how would a business survive like that. There are a ton of variables as to why there are different sizes that are supposed to be the same size. You need a CALIBRATED micrometer , not your eyes to see the difference. I have seen metal, using a micrometer on aircraft parts, expand and contract that much with small temperature changes. Have you ever heated/chilled a part for removal or installation?

Your nifty plastic gauge is not the end all of this topic, sorry.

Ask any engineer that deals with manufacturing of metal parts.

If you want me to go on about tolerances I can but, the point is I use the wheels.

Maybe you didn't see that I'm not arguing about whether you should use the wheels or not, I was only saying that I think the tolerance is bigger than "negligible". I checked the wheel with a 115mm gauge and it didn't fit (the picture above). Notice how on one side the rubber plug just does not center over the hole and rides up on one side. I tried a 114.3mm (4.5") gauge, and it fit well.

No argument that there are ranges to tolerances, I think we just don't agree on what those ranges are. In the end, it's really not important, I agree with you that these wheels should work, just for different reasons.

So even if they are exactly made in a 5x114.3 compared to a perfect 5x115 you are talking about .7 mm difference in the diameter of the whole circle. That would be .45 millimeter difference spaced at each hole. Less then half of a millimeter? I say torquing the lug nuts will adjust the studs over that fraction and the seats will end up right on. Do it one time and your studs will be spaced at 5x115 instead of the factory 5x114.3 or vice versa.

I say torquing the lug nuts will adjust the studs over that fraction and the seats will end up right on.

You're talking about bending the studs, not moving them around in an oversized hole.

Do it one time and your studs will be spaced at 5x115 instead of the factory 5x114.3 or vice versa.

And the first one you torque will stay where it is at, while the ones across the bolt circle will be .7mm off, and thus your wheel will not run true to the hub and you will get a vibration.

No thank you, not on my car.

But, I still agree that LX wheels can be run on an early car! But only because the bolt pattern is 114.3mm (4.5"), NOT 115mm.

What I wont agree with is that a 115mm wheel is ok to bolt onto a 114.3mm bolt pattern.

Either way, I'm done. No hard feelings, call me wrong if you want. To each his own.

-
Back