a little peeved this morn. child being picked on by the school.

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
my oldest son has been wearing a mohawk for 3 years. the school calls this morn saying his is causing a problem cause its too tall and the sides are shaved. theres atleast a dozen more as big or bigger but the sides are not shaved all the way and a few are dyed colors and thats ok. hes a honor roll student and ambassador of his class. causes no trouble at all. how does the shaved sides have any affect on his over the ones that are not totally shaved. i dont love the hair cut but we feel he can have his hair any way he wants as long sa he is good and keeps his grades up. am i making to much of this? i really feel hes being descriminated against. sorry for the rant.

Tell the school to go to hell. Better yet, pull him out of that lame gubmint institution and homeschool him.

Why would they single him out ??? Squeaky wheel gets the most grease..I am not bashing you, your kid, or the way you raise your kid.. But if you don't like his hair make him change it..He can be a good kid and keep his grades up with a normal haircut.. JMO.. Hope everything works out for you..

Tell them he wont be changing his hair and if they want to push the subject you will gladly speak with a Lawyer.

Must be a pretty well behaved school if they have time to fuss over a haircut. Have any other students complained about his hair? If not then it's not a distraction. Period!

I used to have the same problem at school.

The chicks could wear hats, the boys could not.

The chicks could wear short skirts or have a hole in the knee as a fashion statement, but the boys get in trouble for a hole in the knee.

The chicks could..........you get the point.

Dang, in todays day and age you would think anything goes is the norm and usually teachers lose their jobs for even looking at a kid the wrong way let alone telling them their hair style is a problem.

I think if you let it go further without your kid changing his attitude or his hair, either the school will drop the issue or let it fester into an issue that they will regret.....just tell your kid to either be on his best behavior, cut his hair, or get Billy Idol involved.
Don't f@ck with Billy Idol.

Wow, This is right out of Mayfield high circa 1960. Tell the school to FO. If he is a good kid that is all that matters. Keep the hair the way he wants to wear it. Family first.

Reminds me of growing up in Michigan in the 60's, My older brothers had a band and long hair, both were out standing students. The school was always calling my dad until he got up in their face. You know that worked well! As You Know Sh## rolls down hill. Labeled trouble because of my brothers!! Hell Ya!

Don't let it bother you! with the Ignorance of people. Dare to be be different. That's why I drive Mopars

Public School? you got to be joking, what year is this?

3rd day whiskers giving Ms. Pervey a rash ? LOL
I had a teacher that refused to grade my homework because the paper was torn out of a spiral notebook. At the same time my sister didn't have the same problem with her teacher. Next day dad went to school with us. My homework was on brown paper grocery bag.
My teacher learned real quick that her personal likes and dislikes are not relevant.

As a public high school teacher in a very ethnically diverse neighborhood let me give my opinion and experiences on this issue. First off let me say that I teach kids with mohawks, frohawks, Beiber cuts, bowl cuts, thunder clouds, etc..... So it's not like I'm not exposed to the beautiful art that is the mohawk. Second let me make it clear that over here in Southern California we have specific issues regarding hairstyles that perhaps are not in line with your area of the nation. With that said let me tell you the fact that the very long mohawk and extra clean sides would not be acceptable in my district either. Why? Because it is a distraction in class, on campus, and in some rare occasions at my site it has been linked to certain very racist movements. Last year I had a kid, great kid mind you, walk in one day with clean shaven sides coupled with a two foot high spiked mohawk right out of some kind of cheap 80's metal band. Despite the fact that he was getting an "A" in my class, was a great kid, etc.... the bottom line is the cut was a major distraction to both myself and others in the room. Everytime he moved his head some kid couldn't see over his cute cut. I couldn't sit him in the back because he couldn't see either so I had to finally move him off to the side and made him print out's of what was on my LCD. Well eventually administration had to contact his parents and requested he at least shorten his mohawk so it wouldn't be so flamboyant. At the same time his parents were notified by the sheriff that certain racist movements had been associated with such a flamboyant haircut and perhaps it would be wise to think twice about sporting such a dramatic hairstyle in our community. The result was they shortened it, he survived, no lawsuits needed, no homeschooling, no violent clashes, etc...... The cut got old, he's now a senior with a mature hairstyle and is going off to a D-1 college next year. End of story.

Rigrunner, has the school gone as far as to contact you, yet? If not, then I wouldn't push the issue. If they have, your son's demeanor and grades will go a long why to putting the issue to rest, as will your staying calm about it. Usually the first one to show their ***, loses.

Tell your son to simply keep up the good work at school, and not to lose his cool if some one of authority approaches him about it. He needs to remain calm, and respectful. Not doing so will not help his situation. If it gets to the point where you are contacted, you need to do the same. Remain calm and respectful, and listen to what they have to say. Let them fully explain their side of the story, and PAY ATTENTION. most people worry about formulating a response while listening. Don't do that, as you might miss something that will help your cause. It's even alright to take notes.

When you respond, do so without sarcasm, and without attempting to disprove every point they make, even if you can. Besides saving some of your argument for a later date, if necessary, bu letting some of their points remain unchallenged, you will appear more fair, and seem willing to compromise, and by doing so, you don't raise their ire which could possibly result in their not being willing to accept your comments as true, constructive and fair.

If you meet with them, remember that you're on their turf, but, it's still important that you maintain control of your demeanor, your son's demeanor, and the conversation.

.....this message will self destruct in 30 second. As usual if you or any of your IM force is caught or killed the secretary will disavow any of your actions. Good luck Mr. Rigrunner!

I think you should go talk to the school and find out more, what exactly is going on that made them call you. Follow Frankie's excellent advice about how to talk to them.

Also re-visit your decision to let your son wear his hair "any way he wants." Not trying to tell you how to parent but sometimes a teenager doesn't know what's best for him, and we have to exercise parental control. In my opinion a little reminder of who's boss in your household will help keep him from acting out in the future. Just my $.02. Good luck.

let me clarify this is elementary 3rd grade so no racist issues. his mohawk is only about 3inches if that. i let my children do what they want with their hair as long as they keep out of trouble and keep the grades up. he knows at the first sign of trouble or dropped grades its gone. i appreciate everyones opinions and it only upsetes me when it one child out of a dozen they have a problem with. we have no idea nor do they have a reason to pic on him other thatn someone lauged at the shadow it made when he walked infront of the projection screen. we talked to the school board and the principal and the issue has been resolved. after stating he couldnt wear it she said she didnt mean that but its been said he can now wear it. thanks for the listening and advise and opinions. you are a great bunch of folks.

......never mind, see you got it resolved.....

Inkjunkie, You should have left your comment up and just added the "never mind" part at the end. It was good advice, I was lucky enough to have read it before you did your edit on it.

I work in an elementary school and it seems that the mohawk hair style is on the decline here. Last year we had around a dozen or so that were wearing the style and this year it has dropped to about three or four. Just my opinion but I would rather have the boys at my school wearing a mohawk then the Justin Beiber hair style where they think they need to primp, flick and comb it every ten minutes.

Rigrunner, glad you got things worked out.

That is some very good advice......
Rigrunner, has the school gone as far as to contact you, yet? If not, then I wouldn't push the issue. If they have, your son's demeanor and grades will go a long why to putting the issue to rest, as will your staying calm about it. Usually the first one to show their ***, loses.

Tell your son to simply keep up the good work at school, and not to lose his cool if some one of authority approaches him about it. He needs to remain calm, and respectful. Not doing so will not help his situation. If it gets to the point where you are contacted, you need to do the same. Remain calm and respectful, and listen to what they have to say. Let them fully explain their side of the story, and PAY ATTENTION. most people worry about formulating a response while listening. Don't do that, as you might miss something that will help your cause. It's even alright to take notes.

When you respond, do so without sarcasm, and without attempting to disprove every point they make, even if you can. Besides saving some of your argument for a later date, if necessary, bu letting some of their points remain unchallenged, you will appear more fair, and seem willing to compromise, and by doing so, you don't raise their ire which could possibly result in their not being willing to accept your comments as true, constructive and fair.

If you meet with them, remember that you're on their turf, but, it's still important that you maintain control of your demeanor, your son's demeanor, and the conversation.

.....this message will self destruct in 30 second. As usual if you or any of your IM force is caught or killed the secretary will disavow any of your actions. Good luck Mr. Rigrunner!

My first reaction is to tell the school to go to hell.

But another thing to consider is this -- parents (I am one) are always bitching about teachers not teaching well, bullying, etc etc etc. Well, how the kids dress is part of the environment and part of how the school is trying to control the kids. So I sort of understand why they are addressing it. A mohawk is like yelling "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!!!!" The kid who wears one is looking for attention. If its ok for one kid to wear a mohawk to get attention, then a short skirt on a girl or baggy pants showing their underwear on boys, and the goth kids wearing chains and nose rings etc would also need to be OK.

Self expression is great but it can also cause issues.....the school is just looking to avoid issues.

IMHO, school kids should have some standards in place. My one kid likes his hair spiked, which we are Ok with but I would draw the line at a pink colored mohawk.....thats just me and my upbringing.

I dunno. Its all so subjective.

Short term, I think you should ask the school about the other kids and their mohawks....if one kid cant wear them , none should.

Height regulations for hair...LOL Man, dont the school officials remember the 80s and big hair?! LOL

Height regulations for hair...LOL Man, dont the school officials remember the 80s and big hair?! LOL[/QUOTE]

lol

My high school was like that too. Girls could wear skirts, no body could wear shorts. When it was hot girls would wear skirts and us guys were stuck to pants with no AC. Wont change the rules and have no good reason not too.

-
Back